GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI head unit/MDI questions

kelsosv

Hello all,

I purchased a 2011 GTI Autobahn with the Dynaudio setup and Navigation. Love the car, but god do I hate this radio. I'm connecting via Bluetooth and my Iphone 7.

The things I don't like:
1. The fact that the head unit defaults to either the radio (Can't stand anything on the radio) or the CD in the dash regardless if you were last listening to bluetooth.

2. The Bluetooth takes forever and a day to connect. It also seems to be really sensitive on how its selected, prompting me to have to mess with my phone for a minute before I can drive away.

3. Can't skip or see what tracks I'm listening too when using Bluetooth. I mean, I've got the steering wheel controls so I want to use them dammit!

The car does have the MDI connector under the armrest, but that is for the old school Ipods. I would love to know if I can get the USB to MDI plug and it will work with my Iphone. I've read conflicting reports on this. I've also looked into a Lighting to MDI plug, but all the reviews say it's garbage.

If I could get the radio that is in it to work via the MDI, I would be happy camper, especially if it stays on that as a default. But I'm also willing to upgrade my headunit. I've been reading about other headunits and it just seems like there isn't one that doesn't have some sort of compromise. I love the idea of apple car play, but I really don't want to fuss too much with doing the upgrade, and don't exactly like the idea of ditching the CD player or mounting a secondary microphone. Am I misunderstanding these other headunits?

any suggestions? Best course of action? Just want a simple way to listen to some tunes. Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Indicted

I have 2011 GTI without NAV/Dynaudio

1. Well thats because bluetooth isnt connected 24/7 to the car

2. When I had the iphone 7, I had same problem. Had to disconnect, reconnect and repeat two or three times then selecting audio output from the device itself until I could actually get music to play. somedays, I literally had to unpair the phone, restart the car, pair the phone to have sound come back on.

3. You can possibly remedy this by getting new bluetooth module from 2012+ mk6 gti(located under the passenger seat, maybe the headunit as well, cannot confirm). I tried to use MDI to Lightning cable that came with mk7s to connect my iphone 7, it did not work. I am not sure about using the '30pin to lightning converter' with MDI to 30 pin cable since I have never tried that route.

To fix all the problem, I ended up buying new headunit. Installed Sony XAV-AX100 with RP4-VW11, interface harness and radio antenna adapter for european vehicles. with this setup, I have Android auto(no longer have iPhone, but apple carplay works with the headunit), can control volume, skip songs, mute(deactivated stock voice control via VAGCOM). However, factory AUX port doesnt work anymore.

kelsosv

Thanks for the reply, forgot I posted this.

While I know Bluetooth isn't always on, I've never head a head unit that wouldn't stay on the mode selected even if that source wasn't available. For instance, the HU in my 4runner stays on Bluetooth all the time, regardless if I have my phone on me. Just a pet peeve.

That being said I found out that I can change the max volume on startup to nearly nothing, so it has become much more livable. Still, hate the way it connects but that is what it is.

That's interesting, I'll look into the newer Bluetooth modules and see if it's something I can upgrade.

I've been looking into the RCD330+ head unit, because I would love to get apple car play. But I can't seem to get a clear answer on if it will work with the MDI and the dynaudio that my car is equiped with. Can anyone clarify this for me?

If I can't get an answer on the RCD330 I'll likely keep trying to make the stock MDI cable work with some type of adapter. Thanks again for any and all responses.

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
CoolStream makes a Bluetooth Car Adapter that plugs into the MDI.
It says it works with VW & allows you to see your play list & full use of all controls.
I have a CoolStream adapter that is designed for home use and it works well.
In the car I use a thumb drive with the VW USB to MDI Cable.
It also allows you to see your play list & full use of all controls. It works very well.