GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General performance question

demon342

Ready to race!
So me and my vw buddies were discussing the turbo the gti came with and a question came up. Why didn't vw just put a k04 from the factory? Plenty of other cars before it's time came with them (ex: cobalt SS) and ran perfectly fine. Also the gti would've been ahead of its time regarding power and would've been up to speed in the later years. Was it just that extra couple grand (guessing) that vw didn't want to add to the gti to maintain its reasonable price point? Did they think their customer base wouldn't like/ be able to handle the power of a k04? I just don't get it

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It's probably a combination of reasons. Yes, a k04 in a fwd platform will provide much more difficult to handle than a ihi/k03. Also why give a gti as much power as a golf r when they could give people a reason to spend much more on a golf r. It's not that they couldn't put a k04 in a gti, it just doesnt make sense from both the consumer perspective, and the profit perspective

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I think they did sell factory equipped K04 GTI's in MKV ED30 and MK6 ED35 models. I don't think they were sold here in the states though.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I think they did sell factory equipped K04 GTI's in MKV ED30 and MK6 ED35 models. I don't think they were sold here in the states though.

Europe gets all the good stuff :thumbdown:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
So me and my vw buddies were discussing the turbo the gti came with and a question came up. Why didn't vw just put a k04 from the factory? Plenty of other cars before it's time came with them (ex: cobalt SS) and ran perfectly fine. Also the gti would've been ahead of its time regarding power and would've been up to speed in the later years. Was it just that extra couple grand (guessing) that vw didn't want to add to the gti to maintain its reasonable price point? Did they think their customer base wouldn't like/ be able to handle the power of a k04? I just don't get it

To echo the others I think it's totally a product positioning decision. Can't have a lowly GTI competing with a Golf R or an Audi S3 for an appreciably lower price point.

That still holds true today with the Mk7 range, except the IS20 has a lot more room to tune over stock vs the Mk6 IHI. The IS20 is within spitting distance of the K04, whereas the IS38 on the Mk7 R has a bit more potential than the K04. So they've shifted both product positions up towards more power.

It's more like pick a power output level to get the product positioning you want, and fit the smallest turbo you can (considering efficiencies, not absolute smallest) to achieve that power target for the best responsiveness. With that in mind, if VW set out to position the Mk6 GTI at 210 HP from the factory, a K04 is comparatively laggy and way overkill to make 210 HP, vs. the IHI/K03.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
To echo the others I think it's totally a product positioning decision. Can't have a lowly GTI competing with a Golf R or an Audi S3 for an appreciably lower price point.

That still holds true today with the Mk7 range, except the IS20 has a lot more room to tune over stock vs the Mk6 IHI. The IS20 is within spitting distance of the K04, whereas the IS38 on the Mk7 R has a bit more potential than the K04. So they've shifted both product positions up towards more power.

It's more like pick a power output level to get the product positioning you want, and fit the smallest turbo you can (considering efficiencies, not absolute smallest) to achieve that power target for the best responsiveness. With that in mind, if VW set out to position the Mk6 GTI at 210 HP from the factory, a K04 is comparatively laggy and way overkill to make 210 HP, vs. the IHI/K03.

Exactly. They don't want to cut into their own markets regarding power levels and price. As you know, you can easily unlock an extra 60+hp just from a tune and no additional hardware, so why didn't VW even do that? Why under tune the car? Obviously they don't want you getting close to their own higher tier cars that cost more $$$ and need justification for the costs. So yeah, it sucks on the outside world where VW cars are under powered compared to their competitors, however in VW's world, they are all powered/priced appropriately.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I think the better question is why doesn't VW offer a performance program similar to Dodge did back during the SRT4 days where you can have your SRT4 upgraded right to Stage 3 at the dealer and including all warranties? Having the extra options would be great for the more performance oriented fans and for those that just want the car and don't care about blowing the wheels off can keep it completely stock.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
THATS A STUPID QUESTION. YOURE A STUPID POSTER!

LOL