GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 R brakes on a MK6 GTI

BGW

Just thought I’d share my findings after I couldn’t find much info on this.

I recently picked up some used MK7 R front brakes. Not knowing if they would bolt up I bought them anyways. Was the easiest install. I just needed to reuses my original brake line as the MK7 are a bit différent.

Verdict - As for braking, I honestly can’t feel a big difference. I do feel the extra weight in the steering while on the highway, but it’s not a bad feeling. And the best part is I got rid of those cheesy red painted calipers (rears will be painted to match soon)

Hope this help for someone in the future. Cheers

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Good to know. I knew that the MK7R rotors are identical to the MK6R (345x30) but wasn't sure about the calipers. I'll message APR about this since it would appear their new MQB BBK should fit our platform as well with just a little modification.

The biggest differentiator for brakes are pads. If you don't have good pads (or tires) then no matter how big you go it won't be a good improvement

BGW

The biggest differentiator for brakes are pads. If you don't have good pads (or tires) then no matter how big you go it won't be a good improvement

This is true cause the original caliper w/ my Hawk HP plus pads felt amazing. And don’t get me wrong braking has improved. But I wouldn’t say it’s night and day different to upgrade to an R brake system.