GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #43
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Moving faster than anticipated, but I can't say I am not excited. Got some more parts to install!

With the help of HS Tuning, I sourced a used set of TT-RS front brake calipers and rotors from eBay, from a 2012 TT-RS with 9000 mi on it. Solid price. I'll probably powder coat either the front calipers or the existing stock rear GTI calipers so I have a matching set. I'm thinking, if I do the new calipers, that we'll match the stock GTI red color and maybe re-brand them with the Brembo logo, since they're OE Brembos anyways. Or perhaps I'll just power coat the stock set black and get the new calipers just blacked out. Either way you cut it, I don't want to have the RS symbols anywhere on it. Keeping the car looking mostly OEM+ is the ultimate goal.

So looks like I'll be needing to get some new dust boots and a full set of stainless brake lines, along with the associated hardware.

Pictures of the VWR transmission mount and brakes when they all arrive.

Road tripping, so I also picked up an Incase Car Charger and a Kenu Airframe phone mount. So far they've worked out perfectly! I don't know about reliability and longevity, but so far it's been 600 miles and they've held up just fine.

Last edited by Clownish; 12-19-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Clownish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #44
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Got a Cobra iRadar 200 off of socialstack.com heavily discounted and it came with a Cobra universal phone mount also. This is a basic radar detector unit with a socially oriented app, waze style. The app lets you record cameras, danger spots, and live track police on the map. You can also see where other detectors went off from other users.

if you google reviews for the radar detector, you'll see complaints about the app - laggy, inaccurate, too simple etx. I'd say the problems are ironed out pretty well. It functions how I expect it to. In Cleveland I don't think many people are using this system so Waze is still a better choice for crowd sourced traffic and police warnings - got to figure out how to run both apps perhaps so I have radar detecting and waze navi as a back up to the vw OEM navi which we know isn't always the most accurate...

The radar detector itself is about the size of a deck of cards, with matte black finishing except on the ends where the sensors and display are. It detects the full normal spectrum of signals from K and X to some laser types. Using the app you can control the types of alerts, city
Mode, and many other basic functions that more expensive units might have hardcoded. Here using the unit with an app on a smart phone is the only way to get all of its functionality. It is powered by a 12v cigarette lighter plug cord. One nice feature is that the cord has a 5v USB 2.0 port built into it so you aren't sacrificing the lighter port as much. Build quality is what i expect for a $130 msrp detector - solid but not fancy. It does throw a lot of false positives but it also accurately detected the police cars on the freeway during my commute home today. I'll have to play with it more and see if it can learn appropriately.

Set up was brainless. Plug everything in, download the app, and pair the unit on your phone via Bluetooth. The unit glows blue when paired to a phone, and red when ready but unpaired. Because the GTI headliner has the top console for lights, sunglasses, Bluetooth, and sunroof controls it does not work to mount the detector up top. The best place seems to be centered on the dash just below the rear view mirror. However, not wanting to be so blatant, I currently have it as low as possible on the dash while keeping it level. I may pull it even further back so that it sits on the dash instead of attached to the windshield. If I do so, I'll build some sort of camp bracket/cover so it blends into the dash. I hate being conspicuous. Either that or I'll just get a blend or mirror mount.

Long story short: great for my first radar detector and seems to so everything I expect. Time will tell if this is worth using daily or only on road trips. Currently leaning towards road trip use only but it's not been one day and 80 mi so we shall see. Already been checking into modular radar detector/laser jammers. For the amount of money a good one costs I might as well just buy the LSD I've been drooling over.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #45
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

The TT-RS set came today in a beat up box. Brake dust was seeping out everywhere and the parts were damn filthy. The packaging left something to be desired but the rotors look okay for used parts. Some scratches from removal but it doesn't appear to be structural and the damage isn't visible when mounted. The calipers are solid but they have some cosmetic damage on the faces which was noted by the seller. All good - gunna powder cost them gti red anyways. All in all, I think this is going to be really fun.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #46
bluvv04
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Autobahn w/DSG
Greetings from Akron! What part of Cleveland you in? Also, you mod list is nice! My GTI is coming off lease and I'm planning to turn it into a good-handling autocross/track car. Anyhow, would love to see it in person one day!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #47
CLEsonny
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Driver's Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvv04 View Post
Greetings from Akron! What part of Cleveland you in? Also, you mod list is nice! My GTI is coming off lease and I'm planning to turn it into a good-handling autocross/track car. Anyhow, would love to see it in person one day!
I was able to see it in person and it is very clean. The tails look very good for reps. I also believe he is in Rocky River.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #48
bluvv04
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEsonny View Post
I was able to see it in person and it is very clean. The tails look very good for reps. I also believe he is in Rocky River.
Cool. Yeah they do look pretty good. The inner left light where my rear fog sticks out a little farther than the rest of the lights. Annoying but not the worst part of my car.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #49
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Just Clowning Around

Hey, like Sonny said, I'm in River. Happy to meet up when the weather clears a bit - maybe when Superfly starts back up? Also been looking for Cars and Coffee in Cleveland, closest one seems to be Cbus. Nice to meetcha tho.

These Vacar reps don't fit perfectly out of the box but you have several options for fitment. There are built in screws for adjustment on the outers that help fitting dramatically. Then all the contact points are plastic studs that can be dremeled down and/or padded with rubber bump stops to get the fitment you want. We played with mine for nearly two hours to get the fitment right. Once installed though, I haven't had any problems - through rain, sleet, snow, ice and a few thousand miles. No regrets at all about spending less than 50% what it costs for OEM on a purely cosmetic part. I save my money for go-parts not show.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #50
CLEsonny
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Driver's Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownish View Post
Happy to meet up when the weather clears a bit - maybe when Superfly starts back up? Also been looking for Cars and Coffee in Cleveland, closest one seems to be Cbus. Nice to meetcha tho.
Sounds good to me. Cleveland Cars & Coffee is at the Starbucks in Garfield Heights. Takes place on the first and third Saturdays from about 9am-11am (during the nicer months, obviously). I try to make it out there a few times with a few friends.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #51
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEsonny View Post
Sounds good to me. Cleveland Cars & Coffee is at the Starbucks in Garfield Heights. Takes place on the first and third Saturdays from about 9am-11am (during the nicer months, obviously). I try to make it out there a few times with a few friends.

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #52
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Just Clowning Around

Traveling for a week so I'm garaging the gti. Checked under the hood topped off fluids. Also checked the APR cold air intake. Will clean it when I get back and swap filters but I also noticed no leaks anywhere and no discoloration which were complaints with earlier revisions of these APR Carbonio stage 1 and 2 pieces. I strongly believe that proper installation avoids rubbing against piping and is also properly sealed between contact points. Also that revised bracket that holds the stage 2 piece away makes a big difference.

It's been on for about 12,000 mi and six months with zero problems in multiple varied weather conditions. Shown are the stage 1 and 2 pieces, then an engine bay shot.

I love how my bay looks nearly stock even with the k04 installed.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #53
bluvv04
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Traveling for a week so I'm garaging the gti. Checked under the hood topped off fluids. Also checked the APR cold air intake. Will clean it when I get back and swap filters but I also noticed no leaks anywhere and no discoloration which were complaints with earlier revisions of these APR Carbonio stage 1 and 2 pieces. I strongly believe that proper installation avoids rubbing against piping and is also properly sealed between contact points. Also that revised bracket that holds the stage 2 piece away makes a big difference.

It's been on for about 12,000 mi and six months with zero problems in multiple varied weather conditions. Shown are the stage 1 and 2 pieces, then an engine bay shot.

I love how my bay looks nearly stock even with the k04 installed.
Looks good! Im stuck between the Forge Wintake and this. Also looking forward to the nicer months so I can make it out up there to cars and coffee. I only really know one guy with a MK6 besides myself, so it would be nice to meet up with you guys.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #54
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvv04 View Post
Looks good! Im stuck between the Forge Wintake and this. Also looking forward to the nicer months so I can make it out up there to cars and coffee. I only really know one guy with a MK6 besides myself, so it would be nice to meet up with you guys.

I really don't know many people in the VW scene around here. Can't wait for warmer weather though. I am just about to get some snow set up since it looks like Hoth outside. Blizzak LM-32 and some steelies most likely.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #55
bluvv04
Oval Newbie

Quote:
I really don't know many people in the VW scene around here. Can't wait for warmer weather though. I am just about to get some snow set up since it looks like Hoth outside. Blizzak LM-32 and some steelies most likely.
How much for that set up? I work in Hudson right at the tip of the snowbelt...and I drive through the valley to go to work and back. My tires are done, but I wanted to get a summer tire setup on my detroits until I get the Sparcos, and get a winter set up for the next few months
Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #56
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Just Clowning Around

Yea I commute 60mi a day. And I drive a lot in general.

The setup ain't cheap but not crazy either. Tire rack has these tires @ 131 each, with wheels at 58 each. Around 580 w/ shipping for tires alone as tire rack had no steelies in stock. With wheels the entire package came out to ~$790.

I'm trying to get this set up as soon as possible so I'm also getting quotes from Firestone, Ganley VW, and HS Tuning since they're all local. Apparently steelies are hard to find right now but Firestone has plenty of Blizzaks since they distribute them.

Firestone quoted me out the door at $630 for tires, taxes and mounting in that price. I dont know what it'll be with wheels yet. Have to recall the other places. Dealer quoted $110 for steelies each. That's... insane.

I'm thinking that if I can come out around $700-800 for these sexy winter tires and steelies it'll be acceptable. A little higher I can stomach but I don't really want to. I'm okay at finding deals but mostly I settle for average because I don't like having to hassle with it.

Last edited by Clownish; 01-03-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Clownish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#assman, boosted was here™, clownish ftw, forumgraffiti, tagstagstags