GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #43
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post
Just got two new goodies that will help me out during my next few projects. Since my old ass is getting tired of laying on cold hard pavement covered with a flimsy sheet of cardboard I figured it was time to treat myself to a creeper. Its a cheap one, but I can already feel my neck and back breathing a sigh of relief LOL. Also got a magnetic tray to attach to the side to keep bolts and such in. Tired of things rolling away from me and spending 5 minutes looking for it under rags and tools and everything else HAHA!

Creeper and magnetic tray by GoodTimesIndeed, on Flickr

I LOVE a good creeper, and think I actually have the same one at my dads place. Only pain it that to use it on my car, I need to lift all wheels up as high as my jack stands will let me just to fit under it and have enough room to work, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #44
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugray90 View Post
I LOVE a good creeper, and think I actually have the same one at my dads place. Only pain it that to use it on my car, I need to lift all wheels up as high as my jack stands will let me just to fit under it and have enough room to work, haha

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering about clearance issues myself. I'm a slim guy but I'm guessing that (like you) will have to have my jack stands on like the highest position just so I can wheel myself underneath just to have some room to move my arms around. I have this vision in my head of me laying under the car, ratchet in my hand trying to break free a super tight bolt... and all I keep doing is sliding around back and forth HAHAHA! I suppose I will find out this weekend.
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #45
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Have you seen any reviews on the powerflex bushings? I imagine they should be pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #46
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Have you seen any reviews on the powerflex bushings? I imagine they should be pretty good.
Actually I have NOT seen any reviews at all but I'm hoping that they're pretty good LOL.

Hell, given that U-20T chose to swap every single bushing out with Powerflex on his 600hp fire breathing beast of a racecar then I "think" they should be good enough for my little 200+ hp street setup.

Only time will tell I guess.
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
Old 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #47
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Stopped by the "stealership" on the way home to pick up some replacement bolts for my project. All this talk of stretch bolts made me nervous.

New front control arm - front position bolt and rear outside position bolt.
Bolts for control arm front position and one for rear by GoodTimesIndeed, on Flickr
Old 01-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #48
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Installed my Underseat Tray this evening. Overall fairly easy project. Didn't end up needing/using the bracket and rivets that come with it. Looks good. Perfect for storing a bazooka, inflatable hooker, a 6-pack or beer or anything else you can cram into it. Click here for some pics on my flickr page (if curious).

020 by GoodTimesIndeed, on Flickr

Tomorrow I hope to tackle the Powerflex ALK and front bushings, though from what I have read the front bushings are a real pain to work with.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #49
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

This little beauty just showed up at my door. Seems like a well made piece. Will probably install it tomorrow.

Stern rear brace by GoodTimesIndeed, on Flickr
Old 01-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #50
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
This little beauty just showed up at my door. Seems like a well made piece. Will probably install it tomorrow.

Stern rear brace by GoodTimesIndeed, on Flickr

Very nice! Definitely in for a review on the brace as well as the bushings!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #51
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Well, had good and bad things happen today. Got the Powerflex A.L.K. installed but I failed on the front bushings. I was able to get the passenger front bolt off, but COULD NOT figure out how to get the driver side bolt out. Their is about approx 2" between the bolt head and the DSG transmission. I tried loosening a few subframe bolts and prying with a pry bar. Tried jacking the motor, but would not go up enough, wasted SO MUCH time on it I just finally gave up. Does ANYONE know how to get the driver side front control arm bolt out? The whole project took way longer then originally anticipated, and some of those bolt were a real b*tch to break loose. Kind of disappointed with myself that I couldn't figure out that bolt though. Didn't even take the car for a drive tonight because I ended up pounding beers to try to calm myself down LOL. I'll go for a spin tomorrow, then install the stern brace, then drive again. Hopefully I'll have better luck HAHA! Pics here of some of the install.

019 by GoodTimesIndeed, on Flickr
Old 01-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #52
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Some might say that "love at first sight" doesn't exist, but I can say that "love at FIRST DRIVE" does! This Powerflex A.L.K. is fantastic! Very noticeable right from pulling out of my garage. The weather here is around 43 today with really wet roads, and I'm running snow tires. Went for a nice 40 minute drive pushing it through twisties, lots of uneven pavement, normal roads, slow speed turns and everything else. Quite impressive! Right off the bat I noticed the heavier on-center feel of the steering wheel (love it). Turn in is noticeably quicker, almost to the point for the first few turns I was almost turning in too soon LOL. Everything was smooth, no harsh vibrations or noises (had windows down the whole time) and in fact the isolated feel in the steering wheel was most impressive. I did not feel ANY of the jarring changes in pavement, dips or anything, as the pitch of the pavement changed the steering wheel remained on center.

Also, have to say I was QUITE impressed with the Dunlop winter sport 3D snow tires, I was pushing them hard and they performed surprisingly very well other then a tad of understeer on exiting a hard corner. I'm chalking that up to the higher sidewall height. Cannot wait to put my summers on!!!

Now I can see why everyone always talks about the anti-lift kits and raves about them. If you don't have one you should put it on your list of future mods for sure.

Onto the stern brace install. Stay tuned...
Old 01-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #53
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Some might say that "love at first sight" doesn't exist, but I can say that "love at FIRST DRIVE" does! This Powerflex A.L.K. is fantastic! Very noticeable right from pulling out of my garage. The weather here is around 43 today with really wet roads, and I'm running snow tires. Went for a nice 40 minute drive pushing it through twisties, lots of uneven pavement, normal roads, slow speed turns and everything else. Quite impressive! Right off the bat I noticed the heavier on-center feel of the steering wheel (love it). Turn in is noticeably quicker, almost to the point for the first few turns I was almost turning in too soon LOL. Everything was smooth, no harsh vibrations or noises (had windows down the whole time) and in fact the isolated feel in the steering wheel was most impressive. I did not feel ANY of the jarring changes in pavement, dips or anything, as the pitch of the pavement changed the steering wheel remained on center.

Also, have to say I was QUITE impressed with the Dunlop winter sport 3D snow tires, I was pushing them hard and they performed surprisingly very well other then a tad of understeer on exiting a hard corner. I'm chalking that up to the higher sidewall height. Cannot wait to put my summers on!!!

Now I can see why everyone always talks about the anti-lift kits and raves about them. If you don't have one you should put it on your list of future mods for sure.

Onto the stern brace install. Stay tuned...

Sounds great! I'll be interested to hear more long term findings, especially after long rides and whatnot, but seems like you found a good little mod there. What did you figure out about getting the tranny side bushings off?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #54
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugray90 View Post
Sounds great! I'll be interested to hear more long term findings, especially after long rides and whatnot, but seems like you found a good little mod there. What did you figure out about getting the tranny side bushings off?

I myself am interested to see how the bushings hold up over the long term.

As for the driver side front bolt, I haven't researched it anymore today but was thinking/wondering if loosening up the transmission mount would help give me more room to jack the motor up? I just want to be sure before I go ahead and remove my strut brace, battery and whatever else just to find out that it didn't help any. Anyone out there know?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #55
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Installed the Stern rear brace today. It definitely firmed up the ass end of the car, so much so that I feel a lot more of the road through the drivers seat. Only went for a short drive because weather wasn't the greatest.

I WAS going to also install the KMD upper rear brace but I think I might pass on that for now and just look into the KMD lower front brace now. I don't want the car to feel too off balanced.

Overall I think its a nice piece. Its definitely a tight fit for sure. Getting all 4 mounting holes lined up just right was a lot harder then I originally anticipated due to how tightly the bar fits in there.

016 by GoodTimesIndeed, on Flickr

A few more pics of the install and mounting points can be seen here. I apologize for some of the blurriness and weird angles, its always SO hard to get decent shots with very little room to move around in.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #56
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Good stuff man!!
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote