GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 04-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
OK thanks.. As I said originally when exploring upgrading to the RCD-510 from the Premium 7 head unit in my car, the dealer said that it requires a lot of Vag Com programming since it wasn't factory. Members of this site selling the 510 said it was BS, but after speaking with several it turned out it's not. That said, I'd be curious to know if anyone with the same HU as me has installed one without programming. Hope you can see the logic here.
Yup, I personally know one guy in SF and seen it in action. It is plug and play.
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #16
nockiboo
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Candy White 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
Yup, I personally know one guy in SF and seen it in action. It is plug and play.
One question does the phone features on the MK6 GTI work? Steering wheel, main info screen selection etc?
nockiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #17
mr wrong
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2017 Golf Alltrack
I'd still like to know how this could work with Android phones that are NOT mirrorlink compatible.. I'm guessing bluetooth only..
Old 04-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #18
Kato
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 CW DSG GTI
Does this work with the OEM MDI cable for ipod support?
Old 04-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #19
TALON AE
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI - 4dr, DSG
Really wish this was compatible with the dynaudio system...oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TALON AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #20
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Does this work with the OEM MDI cable for ipod support?
I believe it does not, only way to connect it is through the front of the head unit and that can enable car play

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockiboo View Post
One question does the phone features on the MK6 GTI work? Steering wheel, main info screen selection etc?
Yup, the steering wheel controls work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wrong View Post
I'd still like to know how this could work with Android phones that are NOT mirrorlink compatible.. I'm guessing bluetooth only..
Yea, only bluetooth for Android phones, no real benefit here unless you like the updated look with faster processor.
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #21
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 GTI Black Wolfsburg DSG/K04
Quote:
Originally Posted by nockiboo View Post
I will add to this, The steering control works as it should, however the MFI will no longer display media info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr wrong View Post
Androids phone is only compatible with BT audio with the MK7 style menu which the headunit is build on. It isn't that bad to be honest.
---APR K04 V3.1. APR Downpipe. Godspeed V2 intercooler. OZ Utraleggera. Stoptech ST40 BBK. Milltek Catback. Autotech Clubsport/DG springs. BSH 27mm RSB. WALK kit. 034 Billet Insert/motor/tran mount. AFE stage 2 intake. Unltronic DV relocation. OEM bi-xenon Conversion. Rear footwell. Depo LED tails. OEM euro front lip. Ebay fender flares.
theunholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #22
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 GTI Black Wolfsburg DSG/K04
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
This is interesting though after exploring upgrading my Premium 7 to the RCD 510 I learned that Vag Com VCDS programming is needed for the MFI to recognize a different model head unit. Has anyone installed one of these in a car that had a lower model head unit and if so, how did you get it to work? The video if not edited in any way looks like the unit processor is pretty fast and the touch screen sensitive which is sweet! How does it sound and will it recognize US FM or HD radio frequencies?
No Vagcom is needed, and MFI will not display ANY info from the headunit. (Because these heaunits are used in the lower VW lineup in China which does not have MFI). US FM should work fine and NO HD radio.
---APR K04 V3.1. APR Downpipe. Godspeed V2 intercooler. OZ Utraleggera. Stoptech ST40 BBK. Milltek Catback. Autotech Clubsport/DG springs. BSH 27mm RSB. WALK kit. 034 Billet Insert/motor/tran mount. AFE stage 2 intake. Unltronic DV relocation. OEM bi-xenon Conversion. Rear footwell. Depo LED tails. OEM euro front lip. Ebay fender flares.
theunholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #23
Mr_Dog
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GLI
Just to chime in.

Has this installed in our Jetta and it is leaps and bounds better than the old RCD-510 or RNS-315.

It is capacitive touch so the feel is just amazing. The UI is also so much nicer and modern. The bluetooth functionality is much better. The larger screen is also nice and the rearview camera looks awesome on it.

Only downside is no MFD display or upgraded audio.

If you have a RCD-310,RCD-510, RNS-315. I would say it is a no brainer upgrade. The RNS-510 might be worth keeping if you really need NAV.
Mr_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #24
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dog View Post
Just to chime in.

Has this installed in our Jetta and it is leaps and bounds better than the old RCD-510 or RNS-315.

It is capacitive touch so the feel is just amazing. The UI is also so much nicer and modern. The bluetooth functionality is much better. The larger screen is also nice and the rearview camera looks awesome on it.

Only downside is no MFD display or upgraded audio.

If you have a RCD-310,RCD-510, RNS-315. I would say it is a no brainer upgrade. The RNS-510 might be worth keeping if you really need NAV.
How does the backup camera work with it? I have the OEM camera and I'm not seeing any port for the 26 pin connector unless I'm majorly missing something?
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
nockiboo
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Candy White 5dr
Thanks for the update everyone, I have one on order. Can't wait to get rid of Sirius and the RCD 510.
nockiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #26
rucheng10
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Any reason to spend an extra $70 on the official version versus the cheaper hacked version?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
rucheng10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #27
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Screw it, I just bought one. The RCD330+ that comes with carplay (the non hacked version) is on eBay for $229 shipped.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #28
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262928884785...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT