GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
lllechrizll
Autocross Champion
 
lllechrizll's Avatar
 
Drives: White mk6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westminster ca
Posts: 105
ECM Question. Help!

So after throwing parts at my car trying to fix a problem. My tuner shop tells me that I most likely have a bad ecu. He said my options are to buy a new ecu for around 1600 and is backed ordered in the states, which will be ordered from Germany instead. Or to find a used ECU and reprogram it, which takes more work. My question is, what are the steps involved in reprograming a used ecu? Does it have to match your box code? And should I just reprogram my old ecu? Also I am a student, so i would like to go with the cheapest route.
lllechrizll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver
 
zrickety's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 153k+
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Qanon.pub
Posts: 5,277
Most tuners can reprogram an ecu...I know APR can. You should be able to find one on ebay or a salvage yard then take it to another tuner. Call first, they might even have one on hand.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
He's a real straight shooter, no monkey business, and the wheel swap at the Kohl's parking lot was quick and easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.

Last edited by zrickety; 11-06-2018 at 03:05 PM.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie
 
GIACUser's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Riverside
Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllechrizll View Post
So after throwing parts at my car trying to fix a problem. My tuner shop tells me that I most likely have a bad ecu. He said my options are to buy a new ecu for around 1600 and is backed ordered in the states, which will be ordered from Germany instead. Or to find a used ECU and reprogram it, which takes more work. My question is, what are the steps involved in reprograming a used ecu? Does it have to match your box code? And should I just reprogram my old ecu? Also I am a student, so i would like to go with the cheapest route.
No detail supplied but I have to tell you that the way you describe your experience makes it sound like you are working with a tuner that doesn't quite know what they are doing. A proper and experienced mechanic isn't going to "throw parts" at a problem, they will instead do a lot of diagnosis to whittle down the list of parts to just a few. Saying you need an ECU may also be throwing more money at a problem without confidence it will fix the problem. What shop is doing the work on your car?

Having said all the above I realize that you didn't provide any of the history of your problems but fixing an issue by a proper mechanic should not include trying all possible parts until you find something that fixes a problem.
__________________
| 2008 GTI under construction | Turbozentrum EFR7163 | LSD | UNI custom DSG tune | Aquamist W/M | Brembo brakes f/r | Eibach R1 Coilovers | Neuspeed RSe11 18x8 Michelin PS4 | Recaro Speedseats |
GIACUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 MK6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 625
Its not "more work" to reprogram a ECU. Its literally an extra step and dealerships and local auto electronic shops can do it.
__________________
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
lllechrizll
Autocross Champion
 
lllechrizll's Avatar
 
Drives: White mk6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westminster ca
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
No detail supplied but I have to tell you that the way you describe your experience makes it sound like you are working with a tuner that doesn't quite know what they are doing. A proper and experienced mechanic isn't going to "throw parts" at a problem, they will instead do a lot of diagnosis to whittle down the list of parts to just a few. Saying you need an ECU may also be throwing more money at a problem without confidence it will fix the problem. What shop is doing the work on your car?

Having said all the above I realize that you didn't provide any of the history of your problems but fixing an issue by a proper mechanic should not include trying all possible parts until you find something that fixes a problem.
So it started two months ago. I realized that I was losing boost completely randomly and it would turn back on. It threw a fault code for the diverted valve so I switched out the diverted valve with the oem piston type. That got rid of the fault code but still had boost issues. Shortly after, it threw the fault code p2296 and had a cel. I took it to the dealership and they said to replace the hpfp and pcv valve. I replaced and installed new oem ones after and it still threw the fault code. Upset that I just spent all that money for no reason, I decided to go to an apt tuner shop near my house to get it diagnosed again. The shop charged me 2 hours @ 150/hr to get it diagnosed and said it was a leak timing cover gasket that was causing problems. Sounded fishy but I replaced it anyways...and guess what it didnít fix it either. So hereís the kicker, he charged me another 3 hrs to get a more in-depth diagnostic where he checked the wiring harness and hpfp and some other stuff and concluded that the Ecu was the cause of the problem and there ďnothingĒ else it can be. Iím trying to get a second opinion but the other apr tuner shop was straight out rude af. At this point Itís seriously stressing me out.
lllechrizll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:10 AM   #6
lllechrizll
Autocross Champion
 
lllechrizll's Avatar
 
Drives: White mk6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westminster ca
Posts: 105
Dealer 1 diagnosed: $124
Tuner shops diagnose: $750
Hpfp: $325
Pcv valve: $125
Diverted valve : $100
Gaskets: $40

Total = 1,465 and still broken😭😭😭😭
lllechrizll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver
 
zrickety's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 153k+
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Qanon.pub
Posts: 5,277
I would consider the rude APR guys...the ones at HQ in Alabama are really good at what they do.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
He's a real straight shooter, no monkey business, and the wheel swap at the Kohl's parking lot was quick and easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 MK6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllechrizll View Post
So it started two months ago. I realized that I was losing boost completely randomly and it would turn back on. It threw a fault code for the diverted valve so I switched out the diverted valve with the oem piston type. That got rid of the fault code but still had boost issues. Shortly after, it threw the fault code p2296 and had a cel. I took it to the dealership and they said to replace the hpfp and pcv valve. I replaced and installed new oem ones after and it still threw the fault code. Upset that I just spent all that money for no reason, I decided to go to an apt tuner shop near my house to get it diagnosed again. The shop charged me 2 hours @ 150/hr to get it diagnosed and said it was a leak timing cover gasket that was causing problems. Sounded fishy but I replaced it anyways...and guess what it didnít fix it either. So hereís the kicker, he charged me another 3 hrs to get a more in-depth diagnostic where he checked the wiring harness and hpfp and some other stuff and concluded that the Ecu was the cause of the problem and there ďnothingĒ else it can be. Iím trying to get a second opinion but the other apr tuner shop was straight out rude af. At this point Itís seriously stressing me out.
What stood out to me is they diagnosed a leaking timing cover gasket for a fuel related issue? Interesting...

Anyways sounds like you need to take it to a different shop for proper diagnostics/repairs. Some quick googling indicated you either need a new D clip for the ECU or a new ECU.
__________________
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.