GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-13-2018, 03:32 AM   #85
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Good job! Well done, just be sure to monitor for leaks etc for a while, sounds great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #86
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Great work man!
MK6 VW Driver's Group@Facebook 2012 GTI DSG Unitronics stg2, Billy boat 3" DP, IE intake, CTS 3" catback, D088 Intercooler, BFI stg1 engine mounts, O.Z. 18x8 Alleggerita, Charge pipe, up pipe, NS vent boost gauge, BFI DSG shifter, H&R sport, H&R adjustable rear sway 26mm, Koni orange shocks, BFI Clean Catch Can, R8 coils
WalkerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #87
Pooley
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW GTI Autobahn
Awesome job! Great to see that it all worked out, and loved the video of it running.

My engine still runs great at 130kmi and I've done a lot of work on it myself from timing chain replacement, water pump, carbon cleaning, intake manifold (replaced at a later date), engine mounts, and K04 install. Seems like an engine swap is doable if something fails on mine.

As for the coolant, technically a vacuum purge system is the correct way to remove any air pockets, but just keeping the expansion tank at proper level should do well. I got the Schwaben purge system from ECS when I changed out a faulty water pump which gets the water level set correctly prior to starting the engine.
Pooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #88
the1bill
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 CC, 2010 A4
So, I'm in the middle of what was just meant to be a K04 and intercooler installation. I figured it would be three or four days of work. Then the heat shield plug rounded off. Bummer. I figured that'd add a day.

Then I discovered that I had a broken stud in my exhaust manifold. Exact same stud that was broken on yours. It's an engineering fault for sure. I'd guess that there is a shear load being applied by the weight of the turbo on the manifold that gets exacerbated with the better part of a hundred thousand hear cycles to snap the stud. Either way, the stud was snapped and it had been for a while judging by the corrosion at the point of the break on both halves of the stud.

You took the smart route, hogged it out, and put in a bigger bolt. I tried to drill it out (and went off centre with my pilot bit), and then called a machinist who made a jig to guide a couple of drill bits. That didn't work, though, so I dropped the head off with him today. He'll throw it on a bridgeport, repair those threads, and all of the studs back there are being replaced with some stainless ARP studs that will have better longevity.

This thread is giving me back a bit of inspiration. It has been a long and annoying slog to get to the point where I pulled the head. Hopefully I can get it all back together as well as you did.
the1bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #89
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 SB GTI (Sold)
Bravo Sir....Bravo

Very cool how you just did this. I want to get my tensioner replaced, dealer closest to me wants about $2000 to do it. That is all new chains, followers, new lower timing chain cover.

Cheaper than what you went through though. S H I T like this is what gives VW a bad name. To VW's credit though, I do not believe the MK7's on up have this issue.

I noticed your Van in the background. My Grandfather had one, think his was a 79 or an 80 I forget. Had the circle front head lights not the square. Similar color to yours. He did sell it though unfortunately.

My Grandfather did have one other VW though a 60 bug convertible. This bug has been in the family since 1963 and is on its original engine and trans. When my Grandfather past, my Dad kept the bug.
[IMG][/IMG]

Ironically, the bug has been in the shop less in 57+ years than my GTI has haha.

Very Cool to see your car up and running....again...Great Job ::

Jeff
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #90
GreggGTI
Go Kart Champion

Drives: GTI
Quote:
I tried to drill it out (and went off centre with my pilot bit), and then called a machinist who made a jig to guide a couple of drill bits. That didn't work, though, so I dropped the head off with him today. He'll throw it on a bridgeport, repair those threads, and all of the studs back there are being replaced with some stainless ARP studs that will have better longevity.
That's a bummer! Taking the heads off and having it done is a lot more work! Like you said though, definitely a design flaw if the same ones keep breaking. And I also wonder how long yours was broken. Too much heat, not enough strength. Keep at it, everyone. This swap is not beyond your abilities.

And thanks as always for the compliments Jeff. My bus is a '79, almost the same year as me. And of course round headlights, not a Vanagon by any means! Aircooled Bus all the way, I don't like liquid cooling, but do like heat so the GTI is great in the winter! That bug is beautiful man, love the originality. My bus is my summer daily driver. And like you, my bus has been more reliable than my GTI, by far!

300 miles so far on my swap. I took it 100 miles away for the weekend. Other than two additional P0304 codes (and subsequent P0303, P0302 etc as I swapped coils to chase the code) that were easily traced to two bad coils (interestingly, they came off the new motor), it has been flawless. I bought some coils at the dealership and it completely fixed both instances. The bugs are being ironed out and I'm beyond thrilled with the outcome. This has far exceeded my wildest expectations.

Last edited by GreggGTI; 01-18-2018 at 08:40 PM.
GreggGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #91
GreggGTI
Go Kart Champion

Teardown analysis

I had a few spare minutes today and decided to tear it down and see what happened. The motor is going to the scrap heap, so I don't care what I break to inspect it.

I figured I'd remove the tensioner for inspection and then take my head off and see what came of the failure. Boy was I surprised! Check out the heads, all 8 intake valves completely bent! They are all so bent and stuck open, garbage! Wide open! This was taken with camshafts removed, so there is no tension on the valves to push them open. Also, check out the carbon build up on them, not very good. I'm not sure if the pistons have the valve indents from the factory, but they certainly do now!

So, here's the tensioner, the dreaded 06H 109 467 IT model, the OG turd!

We've all seen the excellent 'Tensioner Failure Analysis' post http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102001

I wanted to tear mine down expecting similar results, but was surprised by the results. Check out the ratchet piece, the teeth are not nearly as worn as on the original analysis's post.

Now look at the slide part that moves in and out to provide tension. That very last tooth is gone.

So I compressed it and now look down through the hole where the ratchet piece resides. These teeth are gone! Compare the broken ones with the perfect ones further down.

It's the opposite of the original analysis. The original poster's ratchet teeth were shot, whereas my teeth are broken on the slide. Either way, catastrophe for the motor. So, it appears this piece can fail from either part. What a terrible design. Get yours replaced now! Mine's running perfectly still, about 500 miles on it and still thrilled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bent 2.jpg (289.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Bent 1.jpg (269.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg Tensioner.jpg (188.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Ratchet.jpg (201.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Slide 1.jpg (216.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Slide 2.jpg (244.4 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by GreggGTI; 01-27-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #92
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 SB GTI (Sold)
Good pics, its a horror story. Yikes

Funny how my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan has a timing chain and all and 160k miles and no issues but VW cant build a decent tensior and have 4 yes 4!! Revisions if this part?

What is it exactly they cant get right?

Golf, check
Turbo motor and sport suspension check
GTI idea, began the whole "hot hatch" check
tensioners that work? Fail
Water pumps that dont leak? Fail
HPFP that work. Fail
Intake Manifolkd flapper that work. Fail

I mean, they get so much RIGHT, then Fumble the football at the 5 yard line.

I dont get it.

I saw the intake valves on my wifes 2012 Sonata which is GDI and was part of the engine recall. We got a new motor and I asked if I could take a look, those valves looked wwwaaaayyyy better than most VW ones I have seen. So I am not sure who is dropping the ball over there at VW, but they did. At least on the MK6.

Seems many issues have been resolved in the MK7, and thats a good thing.

Jeff
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #93
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs2013GTI View Post
Funny how my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan has a timing chain and all and 160k miles and no issues but VW cant build a decent tensior and have 4 yes 4!! Revisions if this part?
Timing chains/belts on VWs have always sucked. My mk4 GTI broke 2 teeth on the sprocket and it stretched the chain at 111k miles, 120k is when they recommend you change the chain, but my freakin sprocket didn't even make that long.

I'm getting my chain and tensioner done at 75k miles, I'm at 72k, because there's no way in hell I'm going through that again.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:52 AM   #94
the1bill
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggGTI View Post
The motor is going to the scrap heap, so I don't care what I break to inspect it.
The scrap heap? Not worth rebuilding?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #95
GreggGTI
Go Kart Champion

Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1bill View Post
The scrap heap? Not worth rebuilding?
You know, I never really thought about it. I assumed it was too far gone, but thinking now, realize it can be done. But, like I said, I have another VW bastard child that takes a lot of my time! I just got this Type IV and was planning on rebuilding it. I really don't have too much interest in doing a TSI motor since they're easily available. Unless I'm missing something? Just doesn't seem worth it. Anyone else want to take a stab at it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type IV.jpg (291.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #96
the1bill
Ready to race!

Well, I've been thinking of picking up a blown motor to build, and think it would be a waste to pay the premium for a running engine that I'm just going to take apart anyways.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:09 PM   #97
GreggGTI
Go Kart Champion

I completely agree, and if this were my winter hobby, I'd rebuild. Air cooled are the ones I rebuild in the winter. They take plenty of my attention!