GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 08-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #15
OEMPL+S
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 11' A3 T Quattro ScubaBlue
Here's a question .... For the B6/B8, how does the OE bumpstop fit the bigger tube?

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar
OEMPL+S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #16
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: CW '10 GTI, 6MT
There are disadvantages of inverted monotube that you may not like. For example, due to requiring high pressure gas it’s easy to lose the smooth ride you want. Run some Google searches on the B6/B8s for the MkV and you’ll come across an endless stream of complaints regarding how harsh they are. I believe it was Neuspeed that spec’d them differently for the MkVI, and as I understand it the valving in the Bilsteins they sell is much nicer.

Another disadvantage that I dislike is that due to being inverted, I don’t have easy access to the bumpstops. So I can’t add or remove packers if I want to fine tune my car’s handling balance.

Twin tube Konis are also a bit cheaper. I got my set for about $150 less.

With effort the Bilsteins are definitely the more capable damper, but if you get them on the car and you hate them they have to come back off to be adjusted. If you’re shooting for perfect, they’re what you want.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #17
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: CW '10 GTI, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMPL+S View Post
Here's a question .... For the B6/B8, how does the OE bumpstop fit the bigger tube?

I was typing my last post as you posted that... the answer is that the OE bumpstops aren’t used. Bilsteins have bumpstops that are internal, so the damper has to be partially disassembled to change them.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:43 AM   #18
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
I had koni yellows for a few years, They are adjustable so you can make them stiff if you want, or loosen them up and they are great on the street. They are what I most frequently recommend for street cars.
x2 on this, either the Sports or the STr.T's

Bilsteins will be stiffer
Old 08-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #19
TimS
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMPL+S View Post
You don't really need to use them, but you can. The piston narrows at the top to fit the mount, and the narrowed section is long enough to fit the bump stop (but it's just there to take up space, since the internal stops do the work). The rears are the same diameter as stock, so that's not an issue.

I switched from Koni FSD (stock replacement) to Bilstein B8s with VWR springs, and the Bilsteins are a better match for the springs. The ride is much better than the FSD; you definitely feel the road, but it's not harsh at all. All the bounciness is gone and it's still perfectly comfortable for long highway hauls.

Last edited by TimS; 08-14-2018 at 01:59 PM.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #20
OEMPL+S
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 11' A3 T Quattro ScubaBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
Check your bumpstops. If they’re stock length on a lowered car they’re probably engaging and quickly ramping up your spring rate every time you hit a bump, leading to an awful ride.

If this is the case there are “sport” replacement bumpstops you can get that are just over a half an inch shorter with a similarly gentle progressive increase in rate.

VW part numbers...
Front: 1K0 412 303 F
Rear: 1K0 511 353 N

If I had to guess I’d say that it’s the tears that are causing you trouble, as they’re nearly in use at stock ride height. If you lower the car an inch and don’t cut them or replace them they’ll be compressed roughly a half an inch. This may also cause the car to have a bit of a forward rake.
Danke.

I need these part numbers .... Gonna order the rear short ones.

OEMPL+S is offline   Reply With Quote