GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #141
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
I got lost in all the responses so I'll just throw in my 2 cents, hopefully i don't repeat anybody.

I would first and foremost recommend all 3 mounts. Some people get away with just doing the SUBFRAME insert (mount that goes in the subframe) and PENDULUM mount (the 2-link bar that connects to the subframe). The insert goes all the way up thugh both the top and bottom oem pucks and is a viable solution imo, but not the best for performance. Sure the solid mounts are better but everyone has described it as increasing nvh considerably. the vwr replaces both the top and bottom pucks and requires the subframe to be dropped for install, which would also require a wheel alignment factored into install costs.

Just the subframe insert will put more stress on the upper two mounts. I definitely would not do just 2, because the 3rd mount will fail quickly. Instead of the stronger mounts absorbing energy it will all be sent to the weakest link (in the case of your consideration the stock tranny mount).

The pendulum mounts do crack. I bought one used and it had a crack in it the previous owner didn't know about. It is my understanding that they now include washers help with this, but I also believe doing all mounts will help most. They were designed to all absorb energy with each other. The only one that I consider to be developed as an option to run it alone is the subframe insert. I will say though that I do find it interesting that the vwr motor mount package doesn't include a pendulum mount option while all the others do.

Also I have heard of people getting their mounts installed for free with their clutch. Just bring the parts since they have to drop the tranny anyway. But if not it's not too hard to install yourself and if you're pressed for cash after some obviously large purchases, it wouldn't hurt to wait and do it later imo. It won't be optimal, but neither would be just running 1 or 2 mounts.

TL;DR - Do all the mounts. Get them installed free with your clutch. The stock motor/tranny mounts will fail prematurely with just an upgraded subframe/pendulum, and chances are the aftermarket pendulum will fail faster without aftermarket motor/tranny mounts. If you're pressed for cash, save up and do them all in the spring.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #142
Dadasracecar
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Mkvi gti 4dr 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@HSTuning View Post
We used to use VF Engineering mounts and quickly learned that you do not want a poly bushing in the front of that arm. The poly bushing fractures. Not if, when. It wasn't just the VF's either, there were poly bushings available for the stock arms on MK4's. If they didn't fracture on the street, they'd fail at the track. I have one laying around the shop to show customers. It turned into a maintenance item, and was actually rather annoying.

Also, the HPA insert doesn't require subframe removal. It installs in 15-30 minutes depending on the tools you have access to. The HPA Red has become our go-to part for torque arms.
Dave,
Thanks very much for your input on this controversial topic. I appreciate hearing from a shop that does these installs regularly. You mentioned that poly bushings crack. The HPA mounts are polyurethane. Are they not cracking? Or is it just the dogbone part that cracks? Thanks in advance.

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, tracked frequently.
Dadasracecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #143
Lou Maiuri
Banned

Drives: One Tray Fi
I opted for all three SPM mounts just to play it on the safe side. Pretty happy with my mods list as of now. Still have to get some wheels (definitely going bronze) and I need a boost gauge. I'll take some pictures of the clutch when it arrives tomorrow and hopefully have the same access to the tech area as I did for the intercooler install.

Stay tuned... amirite?
Lou Maiuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #144
A_Bowers

Drives: MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Maiuri View Post
I opted for all three SPM mounts just to play it on the safe side. Pretty happy with my mods list as of now. Still have to get some wheels (definitely going bronze) and I need a boost gauge. I'll take some pictures of the clutch when it arrives tomorrow and hopefully have the same access to the tech area as I did for the intercooler install.

Stay tuned... amirite?
Sweet. You won't be disappointed. Biggest thing is letting them break in. Mine really settled down after 250-300 miles. Remember to retorque bolts at 500 miles. (Mine were tight, but just double check.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
A_Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #145
Lou Maiuri
Banned

Yeah this week is huge for me with mounts, k04, and clutch.... And I just bought bronze TSW nurburgrings...
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #146
A_Bowers

Quote:
Yeah this week is huge for me with mounts, k04, and clutch.... And I just bought bronze TSW nurburgrings...
Dayam. Big money!

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #147
Lou Maiuri
Banned

More like no activities other than my car for the next few months

Breaking up with my girlfriend was the best thing I could possibly have done in regard to cash flow to my mods..
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #148
A_Bowers

Quote:
More like no activities other than my car for the next few months

Breaking up with my girlfriend was the best thing I could possibly have done in regard to cash flow to my mods..
Yeah, women tend to be a drain on the ole bank acct.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #149
project92raddoslc
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2016 GOLF R
Quote:
Stop, you're making the rest of us with girlfriends/wives jealous.

Service Writer--North Penn VW Colmar, PA
project92raddoslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #150
Lou Maiuri
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by project92raddoslc View Post
Stop, you're making the rest of us with girlfriends/wives jealous.
I'm talking boku bucks bro. Now all I do is play fifa, lift hard, and mod my car. No dinners, no lunches, no movies, no gifts, no tickets; unbelievable amount of spare change.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #151
Lou Maiuri
Banned

k04 guys, what common issues pop up with install. I've got the bases covered with the ignition coils, upgraded REV D DV, and mounts but I'm wondering what else I should look at reinforcing to provide a more stable setup. Any issues and solutions you have found would greatly help me when I get this installed. Also i'm not too well versed in the waste gate actuator setup. If someone could explain that to me I would appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #152
A_Bowers

Quote:
k04 guys, what common issues pop up with install. I've got the bases covered with the ignition coils, upgraded REV D DV, and mounts but I'm wondering what else I should look at reinforcing to provide a more stable setup. Any issues and solutions you have found would greatly help me when I get this installed. Also i'm not too well versed in the waste gate actuator setup. If someone could explain that to me I would appreciate it.
What do you mean? Waste gate is integrated into the turbo exhaust housing....Are you talking about the DV tubing setup?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #153
Lou Maiuri
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Bowers View Post
What do you mean? Waste gate is integrated into the turbo exhaust housing....Are you talking about the DV tubing setup?

I guess that answers my question. If it is locked from the manufacturer I guess I have nothing to worry about. I heard something about someone with a CTS kit having trouble with their n75 valve and the waste gate needed recalibration.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #154
A_Bowers

Quote:
I guess that answers my question. If it is locked from the manufacturer I guess I have nothing to worry about. I heard something about someone with a CTS kit having trouble with their n75 valve and the waste gate needed recalibration.
Really? Link?

Have you contacted Clay at CTS yet? Im sure they would take care of those questions for you.

Yeah, one of the nice things about the OEM turbo...everything bolts right up as if it were OEM.....Minus the DV relocate...but thats not a biggie.