GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #29
sauceman101
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 UG GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimebuyer View Post
In my personal experience, a blown turbo smokes like a frieght train just blue and not black.
I thought this was the case as well, and sometimes they spew oil everywhere depending on how they fail. That being said I will double check all connections before I assume the turbo is on it's way out, definitely not blow yet though.
2010 UG GTI 6MT: Peloquin LSD, APR Stage 1, DIY RSR Clutch, VWR Streetsport+ Coils, IE Camber Plates, 034M Front End Links, Hotchkis RSB, APR Stage 1+2 Carbino Intake, HPA Red Subframe Puck, Enkei PF01s wrapped w/ Star Spec 2s, AWE DP, [i] Magnaflow CBE, BIG things coming if you catch the drift
sauceman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #30
Cryptic1911
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2008.5 GTI TSI
usually when you hear a noise and think its a bad turbo, it really isnt.. when you actually have a bad turbo that is making noise, you KNOW it's a bad turbo. It's kinda unmistakeable lol. It's like a nasty dentist drill sound because of the impeller rubbing on the housing and sounds like a firetruck
2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turboback, IE cold air intake, R8 coilpacks, PFR7B plugs @.028, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), Centric rotors, Stoptech pads, TyrolSport bushings, 19" Miro stp3's
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #31
sauceman101
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 UG GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1911 View Post
usually when you hear a noise and think its a bad turbo, it really isnt.. when you actually have a bad turbo that is making noise, you KNOW it's a bad turbo. It's kinda unmistakeable lol. It's like a nasty dentist drill sound because of the impeller rubbing on the housing and sounds like a firetruck
Understood, I drove it a little this weekend, and with the radio on, the noise is inaudible. The volume of the noise does increase with more throttle. The noise seems to come on right before/while approaching boost and stays anytime I'm in it. In another thread someone had a similar noise and there exhaust flange bolt closest to the driverside had cracked or sheered, it wasn't visible as the bolt was still in the head but it broke the exhaust manifold gasket there and that is what his similar noise was. I honestly forgot to check those exhaust bolts while in there while the down pipe was out, completely slipped my mind. Worth investigating?
2010 UG GTI 6MT: Peloquin LSD, APR Stage 1, DIY RSR Clutch, VWR Streetsport+ Coils, IE Camber Plates, 034M Front End Links, Hotchkis RSB, APR Stage 1+2 Carbino Intake, HPA Red Subframe Puck, Enkei PF01s wrapped w/ Star Spec 2s, AWE DP, [i] Magnaflow CBE, BIG things coming if you catch the drift
sauceman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diverter valve, downpipe, ihi k03, intake, turbo