GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 04-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #15
Bill1975
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI - Carbon Steel Gray - 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhthaloType View Post
My Mk5 Jetta almost looked like that, three years ago last week. I didn't buy it back, though, and I regretted that I let it go. I was rushed into buying a replacement car, and got a Passat that was damaged in the same storm that the dealer repaired. I never really liked it, so I ended up trading it in for the GTI.

Since it's spring in Texas and hail happens pretty regularly this time of year, I've already decided I'll probably buy my GTI back if it comes down to it.
Yeah, I was asleep when the storm hit. I've never seen a hail storm so bad. It looked like the yard was covered in snow. When it ended, you could see steam from the melting hail as it flowed down the street. Really weird.

I usually get text alerts on my phone, but nothing this time. I've always had covered parking or a garage, but I'm in an unfortunate temporary situation and street parking is all I have.
Bill1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #16
torga
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1975 View Post
Yeah, I was asleep when the storm hit. I've never seen a hail storm so bad. It looked like the yard was covered in snow. When it ended, you could see steam from the melting hail as it flowed down the street. Really weird.

I usually get text alerts on my phone, but nothing this time. I've always had covered parking or a garage, but I'm in an unfortunate temporary situation and street parking is all I have.
I grew up in Ft Worth and remember one TERRIBLE storm back in like, 2002 or something like that - shit was between the size of golf balls and baseballs. they broke three of my uncle's home's windows. My aunt's Jeep's hood looked like someone took a sledgehammer to it.

One time, I was driving home from work around 2010 and small hail started to fall a bit. Luckily, I was driving right by a self-serve car wash and pulled right in immediately. Waited out the hail for over an hour (sure enough, it grew to about 3/4"-1" size) to make sure I wouldn't get hit on the drive home.
torga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #17
riceburner
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Man this sucks so fucking badly.... I'm scared to death of being caught in a hailstorm.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #18
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
I live in Fort Worth, I feel your pain...
your car is a dark color, on a good hot day in July take some ice cubes out to your car and put them on the dimples, many will flatten out significantly. This works best on the roof, not as well on the hood, but with the money you have you could install a carbon fiber hood and it'll go great with the color car you have.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #19
Allchokedup
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 ko4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebersol View Post
your car is a dark color, on a good hot day in July take some ice cubes out to your car and put them on the dimples, many will flatten out significantly. This works best on the roof, not as well on the hood, but with the money you have you could install a carbon fiber hood and it'll go great with the color car you have.
Dry ice will work even better, just use some welding gloves to handle it..
I'm in Dallas and there was suppose to be a serious hail storm Wednesday night that never came. My 2011 is paid off and you bet your ass it was safely tucked in the garage. Wifes car was out front with wrestling mats tied around it. I had an SI a few years ago and it got totaled in a hail storm. I let them have it as I still owed on it and paid it off didnt like it anyway.
While it does look like shit it truly is more aerodynamic, mythbusters did a show where they had dimples and the mpg went up..just saying. You could also find a roof and chop the old one off weld new one on. Not too hard, grind the welds down throw on some bondo sand then take to paint shop.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #20
Allchokedup
Touring Car Champion

Or get a roof rack and you wont really notice the roof dents..
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #21
ChrisAttebery
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI DSG
It needs a camo wrap like they put on pre-production cars. ;^)
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #22
Bill1975
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI - Carbon Steel Gray - 6MT
I've heard about the dry ice thing, can't hurt. Although if I find a new hood and fender at a salvage yard that's cheap enough into paint matches I might just try swapping it out. I did that with a passenger side door on my old Passat several years ago.

I've always had covered parking or a garage but in my current situation I'm temporarily without that

I'm not nearly skilled enough to cut off and weld in a new roof. Of course there's also this:
Bill1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #23
Allchokedup
Touring Car Champion

That's great! Just put a half cage in it and then a bikini top! Good to go.
Where are you in Dallas? I'm in Irving off of 183, if I see your gti I will know it's you! I drive around all day for a living so its likely..
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #24
Allchokedup
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebersol View Post
Off topic..I ran a modded red 4 door R down 183/820 the other day. Thought it might have been you but I see yours is grey..
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #25
walker
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI 6MT-DBP '12 Golf Black
Ice cube trick, Bondo the rest, then vinyl wrap the whole car? Or just the roof and hood.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #26
Phur
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Car is totalled from hail but still driveable.

Turn it into a cabby? https://youtu.be/OuG-aCO9IVI
Phur is offline   Reply With Quote