GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
MK6gti12
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Need help deciding on next mods

I currently have a mk6 gti (duh), and I needed some help deciding the order inwhich I need to mod my car for a K04 turbo. My current mods are as follows: Cobb stage 2 protune, Cobb big intake, HPA intake manifold, Beluga DP, Boral Catback, APR catch can, and R8 coils. I was told I'd need a FMIC and bigger fuel injectors and a better fuel pump for K04 turbo by the speed shop near me. I was wondering if I could do the K04 first then add the other stuff later. I don't really drive the car everyday. (2 days out of the week and all highway driving). Would doing the K04 first then fmic and fuel injectors second be possible or is it a all or nothing type deal? Thank you to anyone who replies.
MK6gti12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK6gti12 View Post
I currently have a mk6 gti (duh), and I needed some help deciding the order inwhich I need to mod my car for a K04 turbo. My current mods are as follows: Cobb stage 2 protune, Cobb big intake, HPA intake manifold, Beluga DP, Boral Catback, APR catch can, and R8 coils. I was told I'd need a FMIC and bigger fuel injectors and a better fuel pump for K04 turbo by the speed shop near me. I was wondering if I could do the K04 first then add the other stuff later. I don't really drive the car everyday. (2 days out of the week and all highway driving). Would doing the K04 first then fmic and fuel injectors second be possible or is it a all or nothing type deal? Thank you to anyone who replies.
I'm like 99% sure you don't need bigger injectors for a K04, and like 50% sure you wont need a fuel pump either. Definitely not a high pressure one, possibly a low pressure one. A FMIC while not totally necessary, will help a whole lot with heat soak, I would definitely get one, unless you only want to do one pull at a time. You can do the K04 before the FMIC, you'll just get heat soak until you get the FMIC in, especially in warm weather.
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
MK6gti12
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smanierre View Post
I'm like 99% sure you don't need bigger injectors for a K04, and like 50% sure you wont need a fuel pump either. Definitely not a high pressure one, possibly a low pressure one. A FMIC while not totally necessary, will help a whole lot with heat soak, I would definitely get one, unless you only want to do one pull at a time. You can do the K04 before the FMIC, you'll just get heat soak until you get the FMIC in, especially in warm weather.
This was my thinking as well. I mostly just drive the car to college. It's all highway drive and I only do maybe one or two pulls if that. Mostly just leave it in drive unless I want to pass someone. Don't think heatsoak would affect my driving too much with it till I put the FMIC in.

My other question would be if I put a FMIC on the car as it is right now with bigger charge pipes would I need to retune for it? I was told it would need to be protuned again if I put that on and frankly not sure if I even want to do all that. I just want over 300whp that's really my only goal with the car so I don't want to push it balls to the wall with the K04.
MK6gti12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
zef
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 531
You don't need any fueling upgrades on the TSI to go KO4. Just slap the turbo on, get software and you're good to go. Sounds like you have all of the other bases already covered. I am guessing your Cobb tuner was able to help you with the runner flap delete from the HPA manifold by eliminating the CEL's and rough cold starts?

A FMIC is not required but will definitely help.

And you will not need a retune for charge pipes. They barely do anything.
__________________
Check out my build thread here -> Build Thread

zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
MK6gti12
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
You don't need any fueling upgrades on the TSI to go KO4. Just slap the turbo on, get software and you're good to go. Sounds like you have all of the other bases already covered. I am guessing your Cobb tuner was able to help you with the runner flap delete from the HPA manifold by eliminating the CEL's and rough cold starts?

A FMIC is not required but will definitely help.

And you will not need a retune for charge pipes. They barely do anything.
This was my thinking. Though I think I might just save up a couple Grand and just do the FMIC and the turbo in one go. Not sure about bigger fuel injectors, but we'll see if it's not too much more for the injectors it'll be more of a F*** it just add it on there type deal for me.
MK6gti12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
smanierre
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK6gti12 View Post
This was my thinking. Though I think I might just save up a couple Grand and just do the FMIC and the turbo in one go. Not sure about bigger fuel injectors, but we'll see if it's not too much more for the injectors it'll be more of a F*** it just add it on there type deal for me.
From what i've read around, stock fueling is good to ~400whp, upgrading them just for K04 would be like buying a barret to go deer hunting. I'd skip them totally, probably not too cheap either.
__________________
<<<Build Thread>>> <<<IG>>> Major Parts: 3" 42DD TBE | IE Intake | Cobb OTS Stage 2 | Indy 500s 255/35/18 | Motegi Racing MR-133 18x8.5et45 | SB Stage 2 Endurance | Peloquin LSD | GFB DV+ | Unitronic DV Relocate | Red Top Coils | 034 SD Engine/Transmission Mounts | HPA 75a Puck
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver
 
bart2278's Avatar
 
Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,566
You don't need injectors or a fuel pump for k04 like the others said.
__________________
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
OhioMK6
Oval Champion
 
OhioMK6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
You don't need any fueling upgrades on the TSI to go KO4. Just slap the turbo on, get software and you're good to go. Sounds like you have all of the other bases already covered. I am guessing your Cobb tuner was able to help you with the runner flap delete from the HPA manifold by eliminating the CEL's and rough cold starts?

A FMIC is not required but will definitely help.

And you will not need a retune for charge pipes. They barely do anything.
My car was running out of fueling on K04 during my ProTuning process. We had to dial back the power to keep fueling adequate.

I've also heard that K04 shouldn't need fueling at all, but apparently some cars are weaker in regards to fueling.......

Anyone else experience this?
__________________
2012 CSG Manual
Borg Warner K04 | Stratified Protune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit

Last edited by OhioMK6; 05-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie
 
Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
Join Date: May 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 818
Posting to add that this is all solid advice.

No injectors needed or fuel pumps - SKIP.

Intercooler is recommended but not required - Don't need a retune. Installed mine with Revo stage 2 software - no CEL or software changes. Intercooler lowers intake temps and does not add power like other typical bolt-ons. By keeping intake temps lower and not heat soaking you are keeping your HP run after run rather than losing HP run after run due to higher intake temps (heat soak). Colder temps = denser air = more power. Think of an intercooler as maximizing the HP that is already there.

Slap K04 on with software.
__________________
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.