GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
JeremiahIsaiah
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Acura Integra GSR
$2500 paint job, what to expect?

Whats up guys, long story short my NB was keyed on Christmas Eve 2011. Its been in the shop for a couple weeks now and should be done next week. They already painted the body, just have paint the bumpers/lip kit. Now from what I understand the top notch paint jobs run $4,000+. I didnt wanna break the bank but I also didnt want a Maaco paint job either. So afer some shopping around I found a some shops that were smack dab in the middle of the price spectrum. Not dirt cheap but not crazy expensive either. My car is brilliant black, its getting repainted the stock color, just the exterior no jams/engine bay which by the way are still immaculate. Its gonna be a 2 stage paint job (do they even do single stage paint jobs anymore?) with Dupont paint, 2 base coats and 1-2 coats of clear. The bumpers, headlights, tailights, lenses, lip kit will be taken off for paint instead of being masked. Now I understand that the price of a a paint job not only varies by the products/labor but also by region. I live in the Northern California (Bay Area to be specific) and most of the shops I went to wanted $4K+ for the same amount of work so I was pleasantly surprised when I found this shop who would do the complete repaint for 2500 bones. Anyways anyone with a paint job in the California area with this price? If so how is the paint job quality/durability/finish/etc. I could be mistaken but I assume this paint job will be decent enough, not exactly show car status but definitely presentable. I had dropped in to check on the car and while it looked beautiful inside the garage under the nice white florescent lighting, im sure parking the car under the sun will show its true color literally and figuratively.
So what do you guys think?
JeremiahIsaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
Hard to say for sure, the labor rate in the Bay Area is around $76-80/hour, if you found a shop in the middle should be up to pre loss condition. Depends on what they are not doing to cut the costs. Are they removing the quarter glass? Detrimming the doors or masking? Ect.

Also, any shop worth doing business with should give you a lifetime warranty on their work.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
JeremiahIsaiah
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Acura Integra GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Hard to say for sure, the labor rate in the Bay Area is around $76-80/hour, if you found a shop in the middle should be up to pre loss condition. Depends on what they are not doing to cut the costs. Are they removing the quarter glass? Detrimming the doors or masking? Ect.

Also, any shop worth doing business with should give you a lifetime warranty on their work.
Thanks for the input, they have lifetime warranty on their work.

Also they removed the bumpers, head and tail lights, bumper lenses, emblems, side mirrors, etc.

Im picking up the car tomorrow or Wednesday, only time will tell.
JeremiahIsaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
OverTimer
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 13 PG GLI Autobahn DSG
Send a message via Yahoo to OverTimer
Shoulda got dat candy paynt fam.

I once had a very good body guy tell me. No matter how good someone is it is impossible to do exact color matches and to a trained eye slight slight changes can be found. Lucky for me I don't like body work and I'm blind as a bat. You should be good at that price. Be picky when it comes to getting your car back and make sure your bumpers are tucked correctly!
OverTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
KushMart
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2DR 6SP UG
Pics?
KushMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
Trinzler
Ready to race!

Drives: Golf-R
Pics.