GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 05-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #71
andy661166
Autocross Newbie

Drives: VW Golf Mk6 GTD
Was after an RNS myself but then decided I didn't really need the sat nav. It would be a bonus but not a necessity as I'd never really use it.

My RCD510 was a genuine part from China, apparently removed straight from a car before it was sold, or so they say. But it all looked pretty genuine to me and I'm dead happy with it, and it was 100, and 13 for the USB cable and plug. I can also plug parking sensors and reverse image if I want to upgrade that too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
andy661166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #72
afctom
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: MK6 1.4 TSI
Why did you sell it mate?

All these different versions are unbelievably confusing! Do you really think that the RNS510's sound quality isn't as good?! To be honest I wouldn't use the satnav much either, but it looks just that bit better having 4 buttons on either side of the screen!

Andy thats an incredible price.... might have to reconsider this lol
afctom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #73
andy661166
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afctom View Post

All these different versions are unbelievably confusing! Do you really think that the RNS510's sound quality isn't as good?! To be honest I wouldn't use the satnav much either, but it looks just that bit better having 4 buttons on either side of the screen!

I agree with the 4 buttons myself. Looks cleaner.

And yeah cheap as anything. Search on ebay and then have a good hoke around the different versions and sellers to make sure you are getting what you want and an actual genuine product! I have a years warranty that covers everything as long as the seal isn't broken, and there was an option to add another 2 years for 25 but didn't take that.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #74
York_GTi
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: CSG 2012 MK6 Golf GTD DSG 3 Door
Quote:

You just need to do some research on the versions of the RNS510 mate, there is loads of stuff on the various forums about them. Generally, all versions after C are the LED screens and therefore clearer. The key is to buy the most recent you can, plus with the newest maps (currently version 10 I believe) and you can't go far wrong.

There is also the RNS315 unit, with built in bluetooth, but has a smaller screen.

I sold it to part fund my last holiday! The car came with an RCD510, which I loved as I only use CD's and appreciated the changer built in. I bought the RNS510, but never used the sat nav function and noticed a drop in sound quality too. Unfortunately, I had sold the original RCD510, so bought another identical unit, for 150. All good

VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (North Yorkshire)
York_GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #75
afctom
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by York_GTi View Post
You just need to do some research on the versions of the RNS510 mate, there is loads of stuff on the various forums about them. Generally, all versions after C are the LED screens and therefore clearer. The key is to buy the most recent you can, plus with the newest maps (currently version 10 I believe) and you can't go far wrong.

There is also the RNS315 unit, with built in bluetooth, but has a smaller screen.

I sold it to part fund my last holiday! The car came with an RCD510, which I loved as I only use CD's and appreciated the changer built in. I bought the RNS510, but never used the sat nav function and noticed a drop in sound quality too. Unfortunately, I had sold the original RCD510, so bought another identical unit, for 150. All good
Cheers mate. Guess I need to sit down and do some proper research on it. What do you make of this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2614280359...84.m1427.l2649 - Do you not think it's worth that for just a headunit? Had my eye on an RNS510 before I even got my car, so think I'll have to go for one. Bit worried that you mention a drop in sound quality though.

Also sorry for clogging up your thread Andy mate, seems this is the only place I can find people from the UK on here haha.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #76
andy661166
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Cheers mate. Guess I need to sit down and do some proper research on it. What do you make of this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2614280359...84.m1427.l2649 - Do you not think it's worth that for just a headunit? Had my eye on an RNS510 before I even got my car, so think I'll have to go for one. Bit worried that you mention a drop in sound quality though.

Also sorry for clogging up your thread Andy mate, seems this is the only place I can find people from the UK on here haha.
Looks the part from what I can see. Only got a 6 month warranty but I'm sure you should be fine! Pretty pricey but it is a brand new 2014 model!

And don't worry mate!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #77
York_GTi
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:

Indeed, that does look like a nice head unit. It all depends on what you want, either pay 900 plus 20 postage for this, or half for a unit that was made in 2013. I know what I would do and spend the remaining cash on other mods

Old 05-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #78
andy661166
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Indeed, that does look like a nice head unit. It all depends on what you want, either pay 900 plus 20 postage for this, or half for a unit that was made in 2013. I know what I would do and spend the remaining cash on other mods
Spend the remainder on a Milltek exhaust. Then you won't care about the sound quality of your headunit haha.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #79
afctom
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy661166 View Post
Spend the remainder on a Milltek exhaust. Then you won't care about the sound quality of your headunit haha.

Lol unfortunately I've only got a 1.4 tsi so no engine/exhaust mods for me, literally no point!

Still trying to work out how I'd get the DAB on that working without an awful looking dab antenna somewhere on the car
Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #80
York_GTi
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Lol unfortunately I've only got a 1.4 tsi so no engine/exhaust mods for me, literally no point!

Still trying to work out how I'd get the DAB on that working without an awful looking dab antenna somewhere on the car
A remap would give a reasonable increase, check out the figures

Old 05-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #81
gti_kev
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: A freaking Prius. #PriusGang
coming along nice!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #82
andy661166
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti_kev View Post
coming along nice!!!
Cheers mate!

Sandpaper came today so will be starting on the dishes/lips ASAP
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #83
afctom
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:

I really want DAB but theres no way I'm getting an antenna designed for a VW van on the car, or a silly looking stick on windscreen one. Is it even that much better than a standard version? looking at a brand new version Q for considerably less than the DAB version and thats the latest version they'll make I'd imagine?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #84
afctom
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy661166 View Post
Cheers mate!

Sandpaper came today so will be starting on the dishes/lips ASAP
Cars keeping you busy isnt it mate haha, you're putting me to shame. Ive had my car for 6 months now and done one thing to it!