GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
v-dug
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI APR Stg1, 07 FJ Cruiser
Allergy shots eventually helped my little girl's allergies work down to nothing. Still waiting to see if they work for my son.

As noted, benadryl can make you super drowsy, so try it but don't plan on driving anywhere after. I took Claritin for a few years and it worked at first, but eventually didn't help much. Good thing it's over the counter and you can buy generics in bulk at Costco if it seems to work for you.

Several years ago I started taking Singulair because my allergies started making my asthma flare up. Singulair has worked AWESOME for me. I rarely have any allergy flare ups and haven't experienced any side effects.
Originally Posted by lilfleck View Post
I can't help but to notice a dude who's violently choking out his dong in front of me.
v-dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
KurtP
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: diesel jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shini View Post
What kind of nose spray are we talkin' bout here? Anything like Afrin, I'm already one, and shouldn't be on..>_<

Thanks Kurt, please update me with that! How long did it take before you saw a difference in symptoms?
Almost over night.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '12 Jetta 2.5 SEL; '14 328D xDrive
Talk to your doctor and get on the Zyrtec and Flonase regimen; the two work amazingly well together and you won't have to do weekly shots.
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Noize
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 Evo X
Allegra (fexofenadine). Zyrtec and Benadryl tend to make a lot of people tired.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
j2z
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 VW GTI
Its probably your diet. These chemicals do more harm then help. Also try saline wash. I used to have bad allergies. Now I sneeze twice a month if that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
j2z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
rawbdog
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Bird shit stained cute snatchback
just found out yesterday from the doc that i might have eye allergies in my left eye only? WHAT THE FUCK MAN.
rawbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
GTIJenn
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI Tornado Red 6spd 4 dr
So by definiton, allergies are just inflammatory responses your body generates to pathogens they deem "foreign". When you get allergic responses, all the congestion and watery eyes and sneezing and such are your bodies way of ridding you of this pathogen. Sneezing and watery eyes are largely mechanical but congestion is chemical. Mast cells release histamine when they are called to the sites of "infection", creating that inflammatory congestion and misery.

That being said, anti-histamine a like Benadryl are probably your best bets. Yes, they can make you tired as all hell so you have to be careful with it. Claritin, from experience, is awful. Supposed to be preventative but does not help at all. For immediate relief, a strong antihistamine will help, followed by a preventative drug like Zyrtec. Nasal spray also has a good benefit for immediate relief but you you already know the risks of it.

I saw someone mention neti pots....no. These are risks that outlay the benefits. They harbor infection and give other pathogens another opportunity to set up in places they don't need to be.

Just my $.02
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayaGTI View Post
I jizz Bacardi 151
GTIJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
Shini
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '15 DBP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
Flonase
Zyrtec

has helped me a lot.
Thanks balls - I actually forgot about flonase! Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Cooz View Post
Stay away from Benedryl and some of the older allergy medications. They will make you drowsy as hell.
It's like melatonin for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouse4aname View Post
Generic for Allegra works well for me but mine is definitely seasonal pollen/mold.

Those netti pots are an...interesting experience but they do work to flush you out before bed and such.
I've tried the real Allegra back in the day, didn't really work, maybe they've changed up the formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity2Constantinople View Post
dust allergy is only fixed 95% when you have hardwood floors everywhere. no carpet. well for me it was. With carpet; I would wake up to 50 sneezes back to back.. Now its very very very minimal. maybe once or two times a week , I sneeze 3-4 times.
Just moved into a new house, most of the ground level is tiled, so that's nice. Only thing that isn't is the living room and our bedroom, I planned on buying a roomba so I can keep it as allergin free as I can 24/7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubessa View Post
Instead of a steroid spray try using a saline nose spray for a more natural way of getting the allergens out of your nose.
Not a bad idea, I usually use a netti pot for this though, but saline could be used while at work...Which I desperately needed yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2z View Post
Dr.sebi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhollis View Post
I'm in the second year of allergy shots and it takes 20min and your out of there. My Dr stays late one night a week as well. You can't work something out with the doc? It's the best thing I ever did.

Nasonex worked very well for me on my indoor allergies combined with Zyrtec.
Yeah, our FMLA is like, unless you're dead, or dieing, you need to be at work. The doc stays open late on Thursdays, but they're pretty far from where I work, I speculate I wouldn't make it there in time unless they stayed late just for lil ol me...Who knows, maybe I can my FMLA approved after pulling some teeth...Nasonex is a good idea, isn't that mostly for pollen allergies though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
Tylenol Severe Allergy......works for me. I've tried Claritin but didn't do anything but wasted money.

Interesting, never seen that before, I'll have to try it out. TY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-dug View Post
Allergy shots eventually helped my little girl's allergies work down to nothing. Still waiting to see if they work for my son.

As noted, benadryl can make you super drowsy, so try it but don't plan on driving anywhere after. I took Claritin for a few years and it worked at first, but eventually didn't help much. Good thing it's over the counter and you can buy generics in bulk at Costco if it seems to work for you.

Several years ago I started taking Singulair because my allergies started making my asthma flare up. Singulair has worked AWESOME for me. I rarely have any allergy flare ups and haven't experienced any side effects.
Singulair...that's OTC right?

Quote:
"oh sorry, is that my dong hanging out there?! ?
Shini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Shini
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtP View Post
Almost over night.
Nice. I'll definitely have to try that

Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
Shini
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6Growl View Post
Talk to your doctor and get on the Zyrtec and Flonase regimen; the two work amazingly well together and you won't have to do weekly shots.
Doc didn't even offer that, just went straight to the shots last time I was in

Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '12 Jetta 2.5 SEL; '14 328D xDrive
Hmmm, you may just be too allergic for it to work in his opinion; may not be an option for you
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
Shini
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIJenn View Post
So by definiton, allergies are just inflammatory responses your body generates to pathogens they deem "foreign". When you get allergic responses, all the congestion and watery eyes and sneezing and such are your bodies way of ridding you of this pathogen. Sneezing and watery eyes are largely mechanical but congestion is chemical. Mast cells release histamine when they are called to the sites of "infection", creating that inflammatory congestion and misery.

That being said, anti-histamine a like Benadryl are probably your best bets. Yes, they can make you tired as all hell so you have to be careful with it. Claritin, from experience, is awful. Supposed to be preventative but does not help at all. For immediate relief, a strong antihistamine will help, followed by a preventative drug like Zyrtec. Nasal spray also has a good benefit for immediate relief but you you already know the risks of it.

I saw someone mention neti pots....no. These are risks that outlay the benefits. They harbor infection and give other pathogens another opportunity to set up in places they don't need to be.

Just my $.02
I guess I could try to larger dose of Antihistamine. You're right about the netti pot stuff, you take a large risk by doing it. I only use store bought distilled water for it, and I clean it regularly just to be as safe as I can.

I think I'll be taking a trip to the drug store today, pick up a strong Antihistimine and a good non-habit forming preventative nasal spray like Flonase or something..

Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
Shini
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6Growl View Post
Hmmm, you may just be too allergic for it to work in his opinion; may not be an option for you
Yeah man, I'm like, off the charts allergic apparently...Not really, I think on a scale of 5 I was a 4 on both grass and dust?

Doc suggested if I'm outside longer than 15 minutes I should shower and change clothes as soon as I can, I'm like, dafuq, my skin isn't the one having the allergic reactions it's my nose brah.

Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Why would you have to take a whole day off from work to get allergy shots? Shouldn't take more than an hour or two max.

I was allergic to pollen, dust, animal fur, etc. and was starting to develop asthma. I began taking allergy shots and after 5 years I wanted to see what happened if I stopped going. Haven't been back in 5 years and I'm pretty much cured.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote