GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
hcw5733
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 CW Golf R
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 34
Haldex clutch control valve, mechanical malfunction

Lately I have been noticing that the traction control light would come on every now and then, and I would even experience wheel hop when launching the car. I felt that something was off with the Haldex functionality so a visit to my local VW dealership resulted in the following fault being identified:

02248 003 Haldex clutch control valve, mechanical malfunction

Needless to say I'm a bit surprised such a failure would occur in a stock car at 43,000 miles. What surprised me more is that the dealership claimed this wouldn't be covered under the powertrain warranty as it is an electronic related part? Needless to say I have e-mailed VW Care to get a confirmation.

In any case, I've been trying to shop around for the P/N they said I would need : 0BR907554C. I haven been very lucky even at ECS Tuning so if you guys have any recommendations that would be appreciated.

The other alternative I've been considering is since the Haldex controller went bad I could consider the HPA controller since the price is about the same.
hcw5733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver
 
thedude4bides's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 8,991
Oh wow, this is the first I've heard of this happening. If it's just the controller, get the HPA and get a freaking stage 1 tune since you are out of warrantee anyway!

That's what I would do.

The other option, for those with more stringent spending philosophies (and don't care about making their R's awesome ), is to look for guys on vortex who already upgraded to the HPA conttoller and may be selling their stock unit for cheap.

Last edited by thedude4bides; 11-15-2014 at 03:17 PM.
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
hcw5733
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 CW Golf R
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude4bides View Post
Oh wow, this is the first I've heard of this happening. If it's just the controller, get the HPA and get a freaking stage 1 tune since you are out of warrantee anyway!

That's what I would do.

The other option, for those with more stringent spending philosophies (and don't care about making their R's awesome ), is to look for guys on vortex who already upgraded to the HPA conttoller and may be selling their stock unit for cheap.
Good idea I'll check on vwvortex to see if anyone would sell their stock unit. It's a strange case and happens randomly too. At the least the car is still drivable. this has been one of my worries coming from a full time and system like in my STI to a Haldex based system but hopefully this can be addressed soon.
hcw5733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
hcw5733
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 CW Golf R
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 34
Well, after a few weeks and some communication with VW Care the issue has finally been resolved. For those interested if the Haldex control unit goes bad it won't be covered by the powertrain warranty, this combined with the fact that I'm also past the new car warranty meant I was looking at a $1,600 bill for parts and labor. Fortunately VW offered to cover half the cost and it is good to have the awd capability back.
hcw5733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Bozz
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Bozz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 R, 94 Explorer, 80 Corvette
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MO
Posts: 1,479
Incidentally, it sounds like they replaced your entire unit, NOT just the controller. The part# you gave (0BR907554C) is for the whole unit.

Yours is the first I have heard of unit failure
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
hcw5733
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 CW Golf R
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 34
Indeed, I might have misunderstood if it was only the controller but in any case it is essentially item 1 on this image:

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sho...ssembly=753511

Finally, I was also surprised not to find any cases of such failure on the forums for the Golf R but, they have mostly been with the R32.
hcw5733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
thzpcs
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 BMP GTI
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 85
Why didn't you go with the HPA unit since it wasn't covered?
thzpcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver
 
thedude4bides's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 8,991
Last week my traction control light went off a few times... Not sure if mine is dying, too. Fingers are crossed!
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Bozz
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Bozz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 R, 94 Explorer, 80 Corvette
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MO
Posts: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude4bides View Post
Last week my traction control light went off a few times... Not sure if mine is dying, too. Fingers are crossed!
Maybe it was the winter weather.

Do you have 70,000 miles on your car yet?
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver
 
thedude4bides's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
Maybe it was the winter weather.

Do you have 70,000 miles on your car yet?

I'm at 69k
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
hcw5733
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 CW Golf R
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thzpcs View Post
Why didn't you go with the HPA unit since it wasn't covered?
Hello, I was contemplating it but since VW Care covered half the cost I stuck with the OEM unit.
hcw5733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
hcw5733
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 CW Golf R
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude4bides View Post
Last week my traction control light went off a few times... Not sure if mine is dying, too. Fingers are crossed!
I have observed that even when the Haldex is working normally the TC light can come on especially when it's colder outside or when gunning the car on a turn. However the TC light will come on and power would be cut before any tires scream or wheel hop occurs.

Also, if it does go bad you will notice it right away and it is immediate, so I think you are actually ok.
hcw5733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver
 
thedude4bides's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcw5733 View Post
I have observed that even when the Haldex is working normally the TC light can come on especially when it's colder outside or when gunning the car on a turn. However the TC light will come on and power would be cut before any tires scream or wheel hop occurs.



Also, if it does go bad you will notice it right away and it is immediate, so I think you are actually ok.

Not sure what is going on... Very odd electrical gremlins. First TC lights up, I can feel Haldex acting weird for a minute. Then ABS light. Then tire pressure light. Then airbag light. Goes away when I restart the car. Randomly returns a day or two later.
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
Bozz
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Bozz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 R, 94 Explorer, 80 Corvette
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MO
Posts: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude4bides View Post
Not sure what is going on... Very odd electrical gremlins. First TC lights up, I can feel Haldex acting weird for a minute. Then ABS light. Then tire pressure light. Then airbag light. Goes away when I restart the car. Randomly returns a day or two later.
Hopefully that is only the battery getting weak.
Also possible voltage regulator issue. Hopefully it is not some tougher system wide elec issue...I doubt it, prob one of the two above...

If you have a voltmeter I'd see what the battery reads first thing in the morning, before starting it. It should be in the 12.4 - 12.6+ volt range.
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.