GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: CW '10 GTI, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I will get rid of my LSD if this is true. Way cheaper route.
I've had multiple other cars with proper limited slip differentials pushing power to the front wheels and I'm not dissatisfied with the performance of XDS on the stock setting. With that said, XDS is not a 100% replacement for a mechanical limited slip differential.

XDS is nice because it does genuinely work as long as you pay close attention to what's happening at the front wheels. If you hit the sweet spot it's great, but if you're a bit too greedy on the throttle the engine overpowers the brake caliper on the wheel with the least grip making the system ineffective. What's tricky about it is that you don't get much feedback as a driver. With a mechanical limited slip you can usually feel it through the steering wheel, with XDS the only way you can tell is listening to the engine to get a sense if it's spinning up one of the driven wheels.

Another reason why XDS is nice is because is because you don't really get power-on understeer with it. If you ham fist the throttle coming out of a corner the inside tire is going to spin and the outside tire is going to keep grip and allow the car to track more or less where you tell it to via the steering wheel.

Please note that this is not the same as understeer due to more momentum than the tires can handle, even if the throttle is open to some degree, this is not what I mean by "on-throttle understeer." Typically when people say "power on over/under-steer" they're referring to what the car does when you apply more power to the tires than they can handle. What a car does when you ask it to cut a tighter arc than the tires have grip is more a handling balance thing best addressed by suspension adjustments.

But as everyone here is quick to point out, XDS simply cannot put power down as well as a mechanical limited slip. At stock or near stock horsepower XDS is fine, IMO. But when you get to the point where you can't effectively put down power in third gear, it's probably time to upgrade that differential.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #16
zef
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
^ well summarized. It's definitely an investment, it's just crazy how labor intensive it is. I'm wondering if it's almost cheaper to pick up a junkyard trans and have someone do it and just swap out the trans myself.

That being said, the guy that gave me the quote stated that it doesn't add any labor time to do the clutch packs...is it really worth doing at only 50k miles, or just skip? I probably wouldn't do APR clutch packs.. that's a little overkill I think.

zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #17
Chris659
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 12 Beetle Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
^ well summarized. It's definitely an investment, it's just crazy how labor intensive it is. I'm wondering if it's almost cheaper to pick up a junkyard trans and have someone do it and just swap out the trans myself.

That being said, the guy that gave me the quote stated that it doesn't add any labor time to do the clutch packs...is it really worth doing at only 50k miles, or just skip? I probably wouldn't do APR clutch packs.. that's a little overkill I think.
I'm wondering the same thing about clutch packs... I'm at 78k now and they say generally 120k out of them. May just do refresh while in there
Chris659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #18
Joveen
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Where in CT was this? I'm curious need an install myself but I'm manual.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
ExcelerateRep
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
Where in CT was this? I'm curious need an install myself but I'm manual.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

We are a little ways from your location down here in Branford. But the drive is generally worth it to have something with decades of experience performing the work. We just finished up a Wavetrac/APR Clutch pack installation on a MK7 02e.

This job takes every bit of 14-16 hours or so to do it right. We don't cut corners here. We also replace the Rear Main seal with an iAbed industries Billet plate and spring loaded seal since the factory unit is so prone to failure.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you are interested in a quote. We stock Wavetrac Differentials, the iAbed seal and the APR clutch packs if that is what you're after.

Greg@excelerateperformance.com

ExcelerateRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #20
Chris659
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep View Post
We are a little ways from your location down here in Branford. But the drive is generally worth it to have something with decades of experience performing the work. We just finished up a Wavetrac/APR Clutch pack installation on a MK7 02e.

This job takes every bit of 14-16 hours or so to do it right. We don't cut corners here. We also replace the Rear Main seal with an iAbed industries Billet plate and spring loaded seal since the factory unit is so prone to failure.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you are interested in a quote. We stock Wavetrac Differentials, the iAbed seal and the APR clutch packs if that is what

How do you guys like the APR clutch packs? Any done on a MKVI?

Would you recommend them at K04 power levels? Have 74k on the car and still waiting to get my LSD installed as I've been debating replacing clutch pack while it's apart...

Haven't gotten much of any real feedback from APR or anyone else

I already got the upgraded RMS from you guys a few months ago
Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #21
thatspsychotic
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris659 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing about clutch packs... I'm at 78k now and they say generally 120k out of them. May just do refresh while in there
That's fair, but 140k miles here and zero issues with clutch packs at stage 1+ power levels.
APR Stage 2 v2.4, Carbonio, Cast Downpipe | PTP Turbo Blanket | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Stage 1 Mounts | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18

Future: Something other than APR tune
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #22
Chris659
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspsychotic View Post
That's fair, but 140k miles here and zero issues with clutch packs at stage 1+ power levels.
Wow! That's great mileage on the stock packs. Mine may wear a lil faster as I'm above the stage 1+ level