GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-10-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
engine1navy
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI
Replacing Turbo, need recommendations

I'm new to VWs and new to Turbo cars and imagine my excitement when a few months later I need to replace my Turbo. The car is just under 30,000 miles, I have no idea how the previous owner treated it so I'm a little shocked that it would fail so early. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an aftermarket direct replacement, no additional modifications. Not even sure if anything like that exists, I'm not necessarily looking for more power, I am just looking for something with a high quality build/reliability. Extra power would be nice but not if it is going to cost significantly more. I was quoted $1400 for the new Turbo (not including install) so anything around there or cheaper would be great. Thanks for any help!
engine1navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:28 AM   #2
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
You can probably buy a used one from here for like 100 dollars

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #3
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
I'd go K04 if you want a bump in power. If you plan to play with this car, do it now, rather than going through the install costs twice.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Plenty of different K04 kits about from various companies that cost the same as a new stock one!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
Corradoluvher
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 vw gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine1navy View Post
I'm new to VWs and new to Turbo cars and imagine my excitement when a few months later I need to replace my Turbo. The car is just under 30,000 miles, I have no idea how the previous owner treated it so I'm a little shocked that it would fail so early. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an aftermarket direct replacement, no additional modifications. Not even sure if anything like that exists, I'm not necessarily looking for more power, I am just looking for something with a high quality build/reliability. Extra power would be nice but not if it is going to cost significantly more. I was quoted $1400 for the new Turbo (not including install) so anything around there or cheaper would be great. Thanks for any help!
I have my stock turbo in a box ready to go if you need it.
Corradoluvher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
ExcelerateRep
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: TDI
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. We have plenty of options available to help you get back on the road at a reasonable cost. Shoot me an e-mail and I will gladly provide pricing info for you.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg@excelerateperformance.com
ExcelerateRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
engine1navy
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
Plenty of different K04 kits about from various companies that cost the same as a new stock one!
K04 sounds nice but wouldn't I need additional parts beyond just the Turbo? Maybe its lame but I don't plan on doing many performance mods to my car so would any K04 bolt up to all the stock components?
engine1navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #8
Slowgti08
Oval Champion

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Quote:
K04 sounds nice but wouldn't I need additional parts beyond just the Turbo? Maybe its lame but I don't plan on doing many performance mods to my car so would any K04 bolt up to all the stock components?

You would need a down pipe and tune as well as an intake I would say. Recommended items would be of course an intercooler DV, relocation kit and probably save up for a clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
fast2ghl
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI MK6 3-Door DSG FBO k04-64
Quote:
You can run a k04 on a completely bone stock car if you want. All you'd need would be the tune to go with it, no other hardware but the turbo.

However you obviously wont be getting the full bang for your buck, but you can totally do it.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #10
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
You can run k04 on your stock tune even.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #11
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
K04 kits come with everything you need, REVO and APR ones come with a map too. A downpipe and intake are recommended but it will work fine stock as the Edition 35 GTI has one from stock!
Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
MLue1
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Lightbulb

Quote:
As someone said ^above you can get one for cheap lots of guys upgraded and can sell you one cheap.

You really need to find out why the original failed so early !!!
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote