GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Deeno11
Ready to race!

Drives: MK6 GTI UG
Driver gear springs or VWR racelines?

Looking to order a set for my MK6. Has 18 inch VMR 701 wheels with a 40 offset. Csr is a daily but I treat her well. Looking to see what you guys recommend. I live in southern NH so I have the winter months to look forward too....
Deeno11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
There a ton of threads on this. Are you also looking to change the shocks/struts or just the springs? I was pretty set on getting VWR springs but i was persuaded into getting 4 door DSG DG springs and Im happy with them. I changed just the springs this past Feb and my stock shocks now with 49k are holding up just fine. Comfortability hasent changed much. Handeling is slightly improved but not a major difference. Car is noticeably lower to me but non car people might not notice the drop. Very subtle. I would love to see what 4 door manual springs would look like but I also have to deal with shitty winters...

Google "golfmk6 vwr vs dg"
Old 07-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Roctre
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeno11 View Post
Looking to order a set for my MK6. Has 18 inch VMR 701 wheels with a 40 offset. Csr is a daily but I treat her well. Looking to see what you guys recommend. I live in southern NH so I have the winter months to look forward too....
I live in Michigan and daily drive with VWR springs with the stock shocks that have 76k on them and it rides fine. My driveway and entrance into work are also short inclines and all I have to do is go slow and ive never scraped on them. My car is a DSG also.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Deeno11
Ready to race!

Drives: MK6 GTI UG
I'm looking to keep the factory struts. I think I will go with the VWR Springs. Is there anything on the stock struts that I should replace while changing the springs. My car has 75K
Deeno11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
I would at least replace the upper strut bearings and pinch bolts
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
ExcelerateRep
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeno11 View Post
I'm looking to keep the factory struts. I think I will go with the VWR Springs. Is there anything on the stock struts that I should replace while changing the springs. My car has 75K
We have springs in stock that we are looking to close out. Send me an e-mail greg@excelerateperformance.com if you would like a quote.

I would highly recommend considering replacing the shocks at that point or you will be doing it soon after. Shocks typically last about 100k miles or so before they start to lose their effectiveness. But at minimum replace the upper bearing.

Thanks,
ExcelerateRep is offline   Reply With Quote