GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
phans784
Autocross Champion

Drives: nissan, vw
wait, is this really a thread about surface rust forming on the rotor?

is this your first car?
phans784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
danielj

Drives: 2013 BMW x135
Quote:
Originally Posted by phans784 View Post
No, the hub.

APR Stage I/ Carbonio Stage I&II Intake/ H&R Super Sports & RSB/ 18" Avant Gardes/ OEM LED Tails/ Some cosmetic stuff/ Now I'm done modding - because I traded it in....
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoncornelius View Post
But really you're wasting your good brakes, just wirebrush them and paint them as suggested with high temp paint - you should be good to go after that.
This.
Very easy to do, and looks really nice. Especially with your black wheels.
dsm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
GDOGGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: MK6 GTI TR 4-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by phans784 View Post

is this your first car?
yes it is my first car. problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1983 View Post
This.
Very easy to do, and looks really nice. Especially with your black wheels.
yea ill have to do this then. Hopefully BBK sometime thou
Mods: 30%:15% Tint|Tinted Tails|Smoked Side Markers|Blacked-out Emblem|Euroswitch|LED Interior Lights|Yellow Nokya Fogs|Vag-Com|BSH True Seal Intake|Rear Wiper Delete|BBS CHs|FK Streetlines|NewSouth Performance Boost Gauge
BUILD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12168
GDOGGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #19
Rhino
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 VW GTI 6speed
every used car i do brakes on at work has rust on the rotors/hub , use a wiz wheel to sand the rust down if it bothers you that much, i wouldnt worry about it.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
pvivino
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI 5dr MT DynAud Autobahn UG
I've seen a porsche with the rotors painted - Not just the hat (hub) but the outer edge as well. Looks OK. I would think this would be a lot of work for minimal gain. Brake rotors get pretty hot, so it would have to be the best high-heat caliper paint. Some of the home-painted calipers I have seen look awful after a year or two when the paint fades, so I bet the rotors will fade even faster.
pvivino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #21
GDOGGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
every used car i do brakes on at work has rust on the rotors/hub , use a wiz wheel to sand the rust down if it bothers you that much, i wouldnt worry about it.
Nah if its normal i wont do anything. if I upgrade my brakes will the rust come back?
Mods: 30%:15% Tint|Tinted Tails|Smoked Side Markers|Blacked-out Emblem|Euroswitch|LED Interior Lights|Yellow Nokya Fogs|Vag-Com|BSH True Seal Intake|Rear Wiper Delete|BBS CHs|FK Streetlines|NewSouth Performance Boost Gauge
Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #22
ride106
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
I have a similar issue with rust on the hub. I'm not sure if its the same location. In lieu of jacking up the car for a photograph, it was located on the hub as far out as possible the wheel axis. If that makes sense.

Both of my rear wheels had some rust forming. It actually made it difficult to remove the wheels from the hub. Before putting the winter set I spread a small amount of generic lube - same type I use to spread on the lugs before retightening them. We'll see how it holds up after some salty winter and then I'll reinvestigate my next move.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #23
Vdub_lover
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Black 6speed GTi
when i first got my car, i took wheels off, waxed them and painted my Hubs to prevent this. and so far working out very well. after winter gotta do it again though. Personally i think one day of full out detailing saves alot of trouble in the future.

but its normal.
Vdub_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #24
GDOGGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride106 View Post
I have a similar issue with rust on the hub. I'm not sure if its the same location. In lieu of jacking up the car for a photograph, it was located on the hub as far out as possible the wheel axis. If that makes sense.

Both of my rear wheels had some rust forming. It actually made it difficult to remove the wheels from the hub. Before putting the winter set I spread a small amount of generic lube - same type I use to spread on the lugs before retightening them. We'll see how it holds up after some salty winter and then I'll reinvestigate my next move.
Let us know what happens after winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub_lover View Post
when i first got my car, i took wheels off, waxed them and painted my Hubs to prevent this. and so far working out very well. after winter gotta do it again though. Personally i think one day of full out detailing saves alot of trouble in the future.

but its normal.
Yea I know what you mean. how did you paint it? tape off the rotor and pad? could getting paint on the rotor be dangerous? damn if I wouldve know I wouldve done this before
Old 12-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #25
Aonarch
Oval Champion

Drives: Two Golfs!
Extremely normal. Most tire shops are required to sand the surface off before remounting the wheels.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:30 AM   #26
GDOGGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Extremely normal. Most tire shops are required to sand the surface off before remounting the wheels.
The hell? they didnt do that
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
vernacular
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2010 MK6 TDI
This is most likely a n00b question, but if I painted my rotors black with the Duplicolor high temp paint, would the brake pad not rub a line right through that new paint the first time I brake? I've seen plenty of painted calipers, but I've never seen a painted rotor. I don't get out that much.
vernacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #28
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
I boasted less than a year ago and mine are now rusted
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote