GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
btw, where did you get it done? im looking at american tire depot and discount tire center.. i really have no idea who is better than the other.. some people say you have to get road force balanced.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
I had my last set of tires balanced 3 times at 3 different places with wobbling issues. FINALLY the last one had road force (why I chose them) and they ar efinally wobble free over 100mph. The other machines just don't spin them hard enough.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Oh, I like that wheel setup you got there! Do they come in a gunmetal color? Those look like a matte dark metallic/black color.
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG MK6 GTI
sub'd for info when I need a set of tires (soon).

MY MOD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12631
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
ROOSTER1050
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: MKVI CW GTI K04DR -DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
getting my Conti DWS in about a month. not looking forward to dropping the coin but can't wait for new tires.. these P Neros have definitely seen better days, are getting noisy as hell and are generally shit at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
btw, where did you get it done? im looking at american tire depot and discount tire center.. i really have no idea who is better than the other.. some people say you have to get road force balanced.
are you getting DWS, or DW ?? If you can swing it , the conti Extreme Contact DW is a phenomenal tire, the DWS not as much being an all-season. I almost went with the DW, but kept the budget down a bit with the Bridgestones. A LOT of reading/research though, and these score as well as or better on occasion in tirerack testing and reviews. They also regularly scored higher than the Hankook V12's and Sumitomo HTR ZIII's -- both pretty decent "budget" performance tires...all with similar tread life rating, around 300-340 max. (hoping I dont kill them as quick as HARDCANDY up there!! )

I got mine done at American Tire -- smooth, quiet, balanced so far up to 80/85 no issues. We'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfleck View Post
Oh, I like that wheel setup you got there! Do they come in a gunmetal color? Those look like a matte dark metallic/black color.
yes they should -- they are VMR's, and they can be had in like, 40+ finishes. These are "textured black", which is matte and has a surface like fine grit sandpaper.... you can find a couple VMR threads on here with tons of pics of various finishes
SPM DP/SPM CBE track/street/CTS K04+APR V3.1C/APR DSG tune/UNITRONIC intake/VWR springs/Koni Yellows/UNIBRACE UB+RB+XB/Neuspeed FMIC/VMR V810/034 mounts/APR F+R SB/Neuspeed Charge&TO pipes/LED tails w-fog/GFB DV+/P3 gauge/Whiteline-A.L.K.+ end links/R8 coils/TT-RS Brembos/Neuspeed pulley
ROOSTER1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
For the record the HTR ZIII had unbearable road noise after 10k miles for me. Tires weren't cupped or anything
Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Sonny@TireRack.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: My kids crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
For the record the HTR ZIII had unbearable road noise after 10k miles for me. Tires weren't cupped or anything
They do tend to get loud. Great steering response though.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny@TireRack.com View Post
They do tend to get loud. Great steering response though.
0 issues with the performance. But the trade-off was too great. I actually downsized wheels to 17s and got DWSs. They are a LOT quieter.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
ROOSTER1050
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: MKVI CW GTI K04DR -DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
oooh man that's good to know -- I was very close on those, but the Bridgestone scored better across the board, and locally I couldnt find them cheaper than the Bridgestone (or anyone that sells them )

I know unequivocally when I need tires next time, it will either be the conti DW or Mich PSS
SPM DP/SPM CBE track/street/CTS K04+APR V3.1C/APR DSG tune/UNITRONIC intake/VWR springs/Koni Yellows/UNIBRACE UB+RB+XB/Neuspeed FMIC/VMR V810/034 mounts/APR F+R SB/Neuspeed Charge&TO pipes/LED tails w-fog/GFB DV+/P3 gauge/Whiteline-A.L.K.+ end links/R8 coils/TT-RS Brembos/Neuspeed pulley
ROOSTER1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
boostedmk6
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTER1050 View Post
oooh man that's good to know -- I was very close on those, but the Bridgestone scored better across the board, and locally I couldnt find them cheaper than the Bridgestone (or anyone that sells them )

I know unequivocally when I need tires next time, it will either be the conti DW or Mich PSS
A friend of mine has the Michelin PSS on his MK6 GTI and they are phenomenal. The grip is just insane and they ride extremely nice. Of course, anything is better then the A/S Pirelli.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
J-Cooz
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf Sportline
Please keep this updated. I'm interested in your thoughts after a few thousand miles. Come spring ill be getting an all new summer setup and this tire is on my short list.
J-Cooz is offline   Reply With Quote