GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
ChrisAttebery
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI DSG
Basic suspension mods for the track.

Hi guys,

My car is 99% DD. I put about 18k miles a year on it. It has an IE stage 1 ECU tune and a DSG tune. I'm pretty happy with the way it drives on the street. It could use a little more front traction and it would be nice if it rotated a bit more.

I don't plan to do a ton of track days, but I when I ran it at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago and saw that it could really use more camber. Other than that I thought it drove pretty well.

I'm thinking about adding a set of camber plates and the SuperPro anti lift kit and then getting a more performance oriented alignment done. I'd have the front camber set for the street and add more in for track days.

I know that the brakes are the weak spot on the car. I'm planning to remove the dust shields, add air deflectors and better pads to the brakes. I've already added Castrol SRF brake fluid.

Does this sounds reasonable?
Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Keep in mind if you're changing the camber you'll have to adjust the toe each time as well. Not all that difficult if you have a set of toe plates and a camber gauge.

What kind of tires are you running? I'd start with a GOOD set of tires, Hankook Ventus RS4 are great and you can use them both on street and track.

As far as rotation, try upgrading the rear sway bar.. and if you get more into the track do the front.

Hit me up for Vagcom or DSG Service in Chicago (Cheaper than dealer/indie)
improvise. adapt. overcome
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
ChrisAttebery
Autocross Newbie

That's good to know about the toe. I'm sure I can handle it. I thought I could have the alignment guy mark the plates for street vs track (or use the scale on the plates). Toe would be a little more involved. Maybe written instructions (shorten X turn for track).

I'm running Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I know that they are not the best tires for the track, but they have plenty of grip on the street. Before I go out and buy a set of track tires I'd like to get the most out of these. I was only using the outer half of the tires. Next summer I'll need new tires and can pick something a little more aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Keep in mind if you're changing the camber you'll have to adjust the toe each time as well. Not all that difficult if you have a set of toe plates and a camber gauge.

What kind of tires are you running? I'd start with a GOOD set of tires, Hankook Ventus RS4 are great and you can use them both on street and track.

As far as rotation, try upgrading the rear sway bar.. and if you get more into the track do the front.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
That's good to know about the toe. I'm sure I can handle it. I thought I could have the alignment guy mark the plates for street vs track (or use the scale on the plates). Toe would be a little more involved. Maybe written instructions (shorten X turn for track).

I'm running Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I know that they are not the best tires for the track, but they have plenty of grip on the street. Before I go out and buy a set of track tires I'd like to get the most out of these. I was only using the outer half of the tires. Next summer I'll need new tires and can pick something a little more aggressive.
Yeah just keep an eye on those tires. Really inspect them after each session. I've seen someone completely melt a set of all seasons after one session. Especially once you get more comfortable with the brakes.

Hit me up for Vagcom or DSG Service in Chicago (Cheaper than dealer/indie)
improvise. adapt. overcome
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
ChrisAttebery
Autocross Newbie

Yes. That was my biggest fear. When I got home I noticed that the tires sounded like they were cupped. A couple weeks later I got around to working on the car and the rears looked like this:

I thought I had roasted the tires. Turns out it was just rubber that was picked up off the track. I rotated them to the front and a little bit of hot doggin later the tires looked like new again.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2Dr GTI CSG Manual
I'd definitely say do camber plates. They will help preserve the tires and give you much needed front end grip.

When I was tracking my GTI, I had bilstein pss and I definitely had some rotation with stock bars and no front camber. The rear wheel rate was a higher frequency (read: stiffer) than the front. I would say if you are going to touch springs and dampers anyway, start with that and add bars to tune the balance. Easier to tune with bars.

When beginning, I wouldnt want to much rear rotation as it could be skittish in high speed turns. I ran RS4s and they had good wear and grip, but were fairly noisy at low speed particularly.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
GIACUser
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post

If you are daily driving 18K miles a year you are definately going to need a seperate set of track wheels/tires. Streetable track tire is soft and wears quickly, not something you would want to drive on daily (unless cost is no object). With some track time plus 18K miles of daily driving you might go through 2 sets of them in a year.
| 2008 GTI | Turbozentrum EFR7163 | Aquamist 100% methanol | LSD | UNI custom DSG tune | Aquamist W/M | Brembo 18z brakes f/r | G-Loc pads R16-R10 f/r| Eibach R1 Coilovers | Neuspeed RSe11 18x8 Michelin Sport Cup2 | Recaro Speedseats |
GIACUser is offline   Reply With Quote