GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
walker
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI 6MT-DBP '12 Golf Black
Stage 2 worth it at 100k miles?

I'm approaching 100k miles on my 2012 GTI. I've had an APR Stage 1 tune with the Carbonio intake (both parts) since 30K or so. I'm thinking about getting the APR downpipe and going stage 2. Call it a little bit of boredom. Also I haven't done anything to the car in a long time, and I've saved up some cash to put towards it.

I haven't had many issues thus far, water pump replaced under recall, and standard wear and tear stuff. I've never had a clutch issue. Some might suggest moving to an Mk7 but I'm the kind of guy who drives a car until it's dead. Probably won't get a new car until Mk8.

So, think it's worth it? Too little gain for the money? Think the car won't last much longer? Or just enough kick in the pants to make me exited to drive it again?
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Go for it! I wouldn't even hesitate to go k04 or larger past 100k. I would say the only glaring issue really would be the chain/tensioner if you want to really keep the car long term.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM   #3
MK6_Martinez
Oval Newbie

Drives: Candy White 2012 GTI
I just went through this myself actually. Was stage 1 since 2k miles and just got a downpipe and went stage 2 and 94k.

My concern now is - is a full intake, catback and brake job worth it?

I think the 2.0t from VW has been in enough cars at this point to prove its reliable past 100k miles - Europe is full of Audi's and VW's with these engines.

All of this is to say... you should get a really big turbo
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM   #4
smanierre
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
I bought my car bone stock at 90k, im at 105k now and working towards stage 2 full bolt ons, then hopefully BT after that. I think you'll be fine going stage 2 and you can get away with just a downpipe and intake which wont be too expensive, especially if you do the install yourself. then if anythign happens you can just part them out to get some of the money back.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #5
Mk6 Steve
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 Black GTI coupe DSG
I installed a K04 with 100k+ miles on the engine with no problem. I did a compression test before making the decision though.
APR V3.2, APR K04, Carbonio Stg 1+2 w/ AEM, APR RSC TBE, Do88 Ic, 034 Catch Can Kit (summer), OEM pcv "AH" (winter) AWE S3 top, Neuspeed charge pipe, Rev D, R8 coils w/ NGK 2668, 034 motor/trans mounts, HPA 75A, TyrolSport subframe and brake stiffening kit, Unibrace UB, Hotchkis/APR F+R sway bars, WALK, F+R Centric w/ StopTech Strt, USP SS brake lines, Depo dark cherry tails, ECS Blind Spot Mirrors, Enkei 18x8 black M52 w/ Conti DWS, Soundaktor delete, VCDS Hex-Can, P3 gauge
Mk6 Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #6
ssjneko1
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI 6MT
I've got the TSI engine like you on my '08.5, I was stage 1 at 10k miles, stage 2 at 25k miles and K04 at 71k miles. The car now has 204k miles on it and I just installed wmi 3 weeks ago for my cars 10th birthday. The point is that if you're happy with the car and plan on keeping it, then why not throw some money into it here and there. If you take care of it, then it can last a really long time.
ssjneko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM   #7
webbry4
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn IE Stage 2
I would say yes but I would recommend saving some coin and getting a different brand downpipe and even a used one. They can be had for a few hundred in the Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
webbry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #8
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
I would skip stage 2 and get a k04
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #9
drval85
Autocross Champion

Drives:
What would be easier on the engine? K04 or stage2?
drval85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #10
smanierre
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by drval85 View Post
What would be easier on the engine? K04 or stage2?
Definitely stage 2, k04 could be considered stage 2+. Both are well within the limits of the stock engine though

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #11
SyDiko
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Yeah, K04 is the way to go if you're looking for a 'fun' power increase...

My 12 GTI is @ 78k (had it since August 2011...) And, I've done every upgrade I can without changing anything related to failing Massachusett's strict emission laws. I've had the itch to push more power and the GTX2867R upgrade has caught my eye, the only problem is that its VERY expensive to support such a power jump.

Last edited by SyDiko; Yesterday at 01:55 PM.
SyDiko is offline   Reply With Quote