GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
FishesDelicious
Ready to race!

Drives: 2014 MK6
Check engine light on, turbo not working

Drove to work with zero issues yesterday. Leaving work I could feel like the turbo wasn't working at all. A few minutes later the CEL came on. I gave it more throttle and verified that the turbo wasn't working. No boost at all, so I don't think it's a leak somewhere. Any ideas what it could be?

I don't think it's a blown turbo, I barely drive my car hard at all and 90% of my miles are highway cruising miles. Plus I've blown a turbo on my old DSM before and that sounded like it was sucking in air through a 10ft straw. Wastegate maybe?

2014 m6 stage 1 apr auto transmission

Last edited by FishesDelicious; 06-14-2018 at 10:34 AM.
FishesDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
SyDiko
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Without the CEL diag code, it's anyone's best guess. Get that code!
SyDiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
FishesDelicious
Ready to race!

p0299 underboost. Everything I've seen is diverter valve. Is this difficult to get to?

EDIT: looks like all you need to do is jack the front end up and change it out.

Last edited by FishesDelicious; 06-14-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishesDelicious View Post
p0299 underboost. Everything I've seen is diverter valve. Is this difficult to get to?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...3/P0299/000665

Check your turbo for wastegate play while you're under there first as in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fk6cSDE3hE

But yes p2099 can be caused by bad DV as well. It can be replaced by jacking up the front, or even just the front right side. Its like a 15 minute job.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Quote:

Had same code, mine was a blown turbo. Changed out the DV and still persisted. If you got no turbo action, I doubt it's a bad DV.
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
FishesDelicious
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPower View Post
Had same code, mine was a blown turbo. Changed out the DV and still persisted. If you got no turbo action, I doubt it's a bad DV.
What are the chances having a stage 1 tune voids the warranty for a new turbo?? lol
Old 06-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Unlikely. Most dealers want the labor hours from VW. Try your luck if you're still under powertrain. Might wanna disconnect the battery and/or check the DV first though. Reconnect battery after 30 mins and see if anything changes.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Quote:
What are the chances having a stage 1 tune voids the warranty for a new turbo?? lol
When I took it to my dealer and had them diagnose the car, they came back reporting it was blown stating that I was pushing too much power out of the stock turbo (I was stg2 at the time but only 35k miles). They appeared like they were going to perform the repair under warranty however told me that I had just got out of warranty, thus not covered.

That basically prompted me to go K04. Even the service manager recommended me that at that point, lol.
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #9
FishesDelicious
Ready to race!

Update: Took car into dealer today and they said it's a blown turbo. Good news is everything is going to covered under warranty. I'm glad I opted for that extended warranty