GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
usefulidiot
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 MKVI Sportline 3-door UG
Winter Set-Up

Whatís everybody running? Iíve been on 16Ē Gislaved Nord Frosts for the last 4 winters. Not overly impressed, the sidewalls are way too soft and they donít handle in slush at all. They were cheap off of a traded in EOS, the old lady still had winters in her garage for $200 with one winter on them. I want to go to a 17Ē. Whatís good value in terms of cost vs quality vs performance vs handling vs effectiveness. Is it still Hakkapa-whatevers, Blizzaks, and X-ice at the top of the heap?
17" Goals//Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+//OEM LED Tails//LED Headlights//DRL-High Beam//Audi Red Top Coils//Neuspeed P-Flo CAI//UM Stage 1 Tune//Rokblokz//034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount Insert//Koni Sport//H&R Sport//TTRS mounts
usefulidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Squashdaddy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 6MT 2011 GTI
I have 16” wheels with Michelin X-ice3. In slushy stuff I’m not overly impressed but they have good manners in the dry are decent in snow. I will almost certainly go with Blizzaks next time. I want my winter tire to dominate winter conditions and from what I’ve read the Blizzak consistently comes out on top.
APR Stage 2 ECU - APR Carbonio Stage 1+2 - 42 Draft Designs Catted/Resonated Downpipe - Neuspeed Charge Pipe and Turbo Outlet Pipe - GFB DV+ - Fluidampr Crank Pully - HS Tuning RSR clutch -H&R 24mm rear swaybar - Unibrace UB - HPA Red Puck -Neuspeed Rse12 Hyperblack
Squashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
Blakcard
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashdaddy View Post
I have 16Ē wheels with Michelin X-ice3. In slushy stuff Iím not overly impressed but they have good manners in the dry are decent in snow. I will almost certainly go with Blizzaks next time. I want my winter tire to dominate winter conditions and from what Iíve read the Blizzak consistently comes out on top.
Same set up. Not overly impressed with slushy performance. Might try BLizzaks' this year but the price. I keep hearing the Dunlop Maxx are better.

@usefulidiot why do you want to go up to 17"? More expensive tire, need to buy additional rims, are you expecting better performance?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
On the Golf, we normally run on 16” steel wheels with Gislaved Nord Frosts or General Alimax Arctics. There is no one silver bullet to suit all the conditions you just have to find one that is the least compromise for the area you live in. This winter tho we are going back to using 15 inch steel wheels, I picked up some 195 stock sized Good Year Ultra Grips at a Canadian Tire End of Season sale for $80 each. I like thinner tires for snow, when we go up north and hit deep snow on the side of the road the thinner tire doesn't get pulled as much towards the ditch.

Soft and squishy in the dry normally translate to decent winter performance, so lets hope the Good Year Ultra Grips get the message.

Last edited by MLue1; 10-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
1ashchuckton
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI CSG-DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
On the Golf, we normally run on 16Ē steel wheels with Gislaved Nord Frosts or General Alimax Arctics. There is no one silver bullet to suit all the conditions you just have to find one that is the least compromise for the area you live in. This winter tho we are going back to using 15 inch steel wheels, I picked up some 195 stock sized Good Year Ultra Grips at a Canadian Tire End of Season sale for $80 each. I like thinner tires for snow, when we go up north and hit deep snow on the side of the road the thinner tire doesn't get pulled as much towards the ditch.

Soft and squishy in the dry normally translate to decent winter performance, so lets hope the Good Year Ultra Grips get the message.
Good info here ^.

Soft & rolly polly tires are what helps a snow tire work in the cold. Yes you give up some dry road handling, but it's worth it for winter driving safety IMO. Also as had been said narrow is better for a snow tire.

I've used Gislaved Frost, Various Blizzak's, Haka's & Ice X. So far the Ice X tires are my favorites.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
Blakcard
Formula 5000 Driver

also check and maintain that tire pressure regularly!
Old 10-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
usefulidiot
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 MKVI Sportline 3-door UG
The switch to 17" is mostly due to my 17" Goals being switched to winter duty with an impending switch in summer set up next year. Sidewall flex makes sense, in maintaining stability and contact patch. I just found the Nordfrosts made for poor steering feel and response, coupled with unpredictable braking(yes psi good/yes treadwear/life good)

Agreed no magic beans. Thanks for the tips all.
17" Goals//Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+//OEM LED Tails//LED Headlights//DRL-High Beam//Audi Red Top Coils//Neuspeed P-Flo CAI//UM Stage 1 Tune//Rokblokz//034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount Insert//Koni Sport//H&R Sport//TTRS mounts
usefulidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:48 AM   #8
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulidiot View Post
The switch to 17" is mostly due to my 17" Goals being switched to winter duty with an impending switch in summer set up next year....
For Winter Driving, I'd stick with 16 inch steel wheels, so easy to make a mistake and crack up one of the Goal Wheels and screw up the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulidiot View Post
... I just found the Nordfrosts made for poor steering feel and response, coupled with unpredictable braking(yes psi good/yes treadwear/life good)....
Debatable, it's not always the tire, the feel and response on ice and snow are muted yes but there is a lot more grip on ice and snow than 98% of the world realizes; the key is to know how to extract it. Most Drivers are "Bull in a China Shop", they simple over power the controls, then blame it on the tires. Using proper technique and finesse we can actually extend the point when a tire breaks traction on ice while cornering at the same speed by using good weight transfer and slower more controlled steering inputs, done correctly where a tire previously understeered, we can regain some of the lost control.

Ben, many years ago I used to drive a couple hours north east to race on ice in Minden ON, you actually live more than half way to Minden, go have a look in January/February; better yet buy a $500 beater and go have some fun, it will definitely make you into a faster err better driver in any condition.

Ian Law Racing does a Winter Safe Driving Program in Minden that both my Son and Daughter as well as my wife have attended.

Last edited by MLue1; 10-11-2019 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
v1nn1e
Autocross Champion

Drives:
215/55/16 Pirelli winter ice zero
Wheel is 16x7j et35
They are poking a little out of my fenders

Sent from my ANE-LX3 using Tapatalk
v1nn1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nn1e View Post
Wheel is 16x7j et35

Vinnie, i was looking for a set of those in 16s but only found 17s, you always have a knack of finding stuff.

215/55/16, very similar to a Tiguan setup, we've run on 205 60/16 the extra diameter promotes less wheel spin and gives an ever so slightly ground clearance which is good in the heave stuff.

Last edited by MLue1; 10-11-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: more
Old 10-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
Blakcard
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nn1e View Post
Wheel is 16x7j et35