GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #57
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
stop having so much sex in your cars and building up all that steam to melt the headliner glue

This is the first time ive ever seen the sagging headliner in a mk6 it was notorious for mk4s
Happened on my mk4, mkv, and mk6. It's the shitty glue VW uses.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:11 AM   #58
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
Mine just went from "meh, I can live with it" to "dammit, now this has to be fixed...." It started separating from around the map light cluster.

I'm going to pay someone to do it. Fiddling with a bunch of crappy plastic clips is not my idea of a relaxing day off.
I went through the same stages, I really didn't want to spend $350 on a stupid repair. But honestly once I did it, I actually felt somewhat good about it because it didn't look like a cheap car anymore.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #59
MMKAY6
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
I called VWoA and opened a claim with them about the headliner and told them I had the same issue with my '07 GTI which he was actually able to see in the system.
He mentioned that it is common in hot states like Texas and Florida due to the foam and that's the reason they did away with the foam on the new Jettas. He definitely seemed aware of the issue but still didn't know how much help they would provide if any. Waiting to hear back.

If they don't cover it I'll probably have the headliner and pillars redone with alcantara. Give it an Audi RS-esque look.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #60
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKAY6 View Post
I called VWoA and opened a claim with them about the headliner and told them I had the same issue with my '07 GTI which he was actually able to see in the system.
He mentioned that it is common in hot states like Texas and Florida due to the foam and that's the reason they did away with the foam on the new Jettas. He definitely seemed aware of the issue but still didn't know how much help they would provide if any. Waiting to hear back.

If they don't cover it I'll probably have the headliner and pillars redone with alcantara. Give it an Audi RS-esque look.
The fact that they obviously are aware that this is an issue, or at least a rep is and made that clear, and that they rectified this issue on newer models means they may be responsible for previous models where this is a problem. I would bring that up.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #61
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
I would imagine that if you have this issue, even if you replace the dropping fabric by regluing you will still have problems with the foam underneath the new adhesive and fabric and have to redo this again in a few years. Might be worth it to replace everything in one shot.

Like taking out the dash, the headline is a huge pain in the butt to DIY because it's such a large fitted piece. Knock on wood that up here in Ohio we don't get this problem but my buddy's 08 mk5 is currently sagging really badly. Hopefully my 08 and my 13 golf don't have the same issues!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #62
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

I also tried going through VWOA a few months ago but didn't do any good. I figured at least this way if there is a recall some day maybe I can get my money bank because there's record of the issue.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
Old 05-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #63
MMKAY6
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcyberbob View Post
I also tried going through VWOA a few months ago but didn't do any good. I figured at least this way if there is a recall some day maybe I can get my money bank because there's record of the issue.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
What did you end up doing? Leave it be or take it to an upholstery shop?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #64
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
What did you end up doing? Leave it be or take it to an upholstery shop?
Took it to an upholstery shop. I tried living with it but after a while i got tired of the cheap look and it gradually started to sag more.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #65
MMKAY6
Oval Champion

Update: heard back from VWoA and they are covering the repair 100%.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #66
GTIsLimE

Drives: MK6 GTI
Quote:
Update: heard back from VWoA and they are covering the repair 100%.
What did they say the process was.? I just hit 48k miles in my '13 gti, and its sagging bad. Started around 29k miles
GTIsLimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #67
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIsLimE View Post
What did they say the process was.? I just hit 48k miles in my '13 gti, and its sagging bad. Started around 29k miles
I would hope they would goodwill it for you since you're still in some part of the warranty. You can complain to the dealer, or just talk to VWOA directly on their site and see what they can do. The mess is on them, but be warned, any future attempts to have them cover out of warranty expenses will be judged based on how much they've assisted you already... IE paid for this on goodwill.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #68
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 153k+
I've recovered the headliner on the 09...it's not a terrible job but expect a few hours of your time. New (superior) material and glue is about $60 or so, just requires scraping off the old foam from your existing headliner. Then cut your various openings and reinstall. I've heard of mobile upholstery repair for about $300, I would consider that if they were near me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #69
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
I'm gonna finally redo mine later this year once it starts to cool down around Oct/Nov. It's been sagging for at least a couple years now.

VW wasn't gonna do anything for me. All they said was here you go, call this guy and mention us and he'll give you a discount.

There's an upholstery guy my familys business has given a ton of work to, so I'm just gonna pull the headliner out myself and have him upholster it for me. Last time I asked he said he'd do it for free for me, but that was a couple summers ago.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #70
MMKAY6
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIsLimE View Post
I probably would have taken it to the dealer at 29k miles if I would have been in your shoes seeing that your Bumper to bumper would have covered it then.
The process wasn't too hard. Called them and explained to them that my headliner is starting to sag, they told me to bring it to the nearest dealer and have it checked out. Dealer checked it out, VW called back a week later and said they'll cover it 100% for being a loyal customer. They saw in the system that I used to have an '07 GTI (with the same issue that they covered as well) and that both vehicles were exclusively dealer maintained. I think that goes a long way in them covering repairs outside of the warranty period.