GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > TDI / GTD discussions

Old 01-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #57
STING
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK7 Golf GTD & MK6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDUBBER View Post
Got the APR on sale.... just going to test it out now!
STING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #58
TorontoDUBBER
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by STING View Post
You are right, the car has tons more torque. I find the tires ripping loose in the first three gears but I also enjoy a fresh and peppy top end. It feels like a gas engine at high revs.

I got the APR because I can hold down the cruise button and switch to stock. May do this for fuel economy or if it's just too icy and snowy out.... I'll have to learn more about the car in all settings.

What a fun drive home lol!

Last edited by TorontoDUBBER; 01-09-2015 at 12:10 AM.
TorontoDUBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #59
TorontoDUBBER
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonLT View Post
APR doesn't know jack about tuning TDI's. Malone or Rocketchip...
I hear that REVO is the best! Lol
Old 01-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #60
YukonLT
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf TDI
Quote:
I hear that REVO is the best! Lol
I've heard decent things about REVO, but no personal experience. Mark Malone is highly regarded in the TDI world, and Jeff at Rocketchip is right up there. APR is bottom of the barrel when it comes to diesel tuning. Their reputation for bricking ECU's is well known. They claim you don't need to tune the DSG, but every other tuner knows you need to. If they spent more money on R&D instead of advertising, maybe they would be worthy in the diesel world. Could explan their recent financial troubles...

Glad you like your new tune, just stating what many others have said and experienced with APR. They definitely know gas engines though, I'll give them that.
YukonLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #61
TorontoDUBBER
Rally Car Champion

APR is the only tuner that can give you stock mode, and switch over to 170hp/293lb-ft (crank i assume).... Even if the DSG doesn't allow all of the torque the engine is capable of the output when the DSG is finally updated. No matter which tune you get you'll have to overcome the DSG limits, and its separate in price and application. My guy can do the DSG at any time if i like but i'm enjoying the extra push across the board right now.. see when i get bored. IMO they're all the same shit - don't believe the hype. These guys all have DYNOs, and they all watch their charts as they add more/less fuel and air. Its easy-peasy!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #62
SFGiants
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 Golf TDI 4-door 6 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmen View Post
I see all this stuff about APR and DSG. Anyone here have experience with APR on a 6MT TDI? I've narrowed it down to APR and Malone.

I'm leaning toward APR because I've had their tuning on 4 cars now including my current '10 GTI and have never had ANY problems. But then I remember those are 1.8ts and 2.0ts and I'm wondering if Malone is the better option because of the amount of time they have been doing TDI tunes. Another thing to consider for me is there is an APR dealer here in town less than 15 minutes away and the closest Malone dealer is in Portland 580 miles away. Granted its about 1 tank in the TDI each way, but still another $200 in fuel costs for Malone (sending in my ECU isn't an option I'm considering for any companies.)

Thoughts?
karmakanix in Berkeley is a Malone tuner! I haven't used them but will if I end up going Malone.
Bilstein PSS10, H&R Sways, OZ Ultraleggera, Bridgestone RE760, StopTech ST-40, ECS Tuning SSK, GTI Edition 35 Shift Boot, Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Pipe, Custom Dual Exhaust w/ GTI Valence, Depo Dark Cherry Tails, Nokya Arctic White Fogs, Charcoal Lamin-X Sidemarkers, P3 Vent Gauge, VAG-COM
SFGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #63
STING
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK7 Golf GTD & MK6 TDI
Quote:
APR is the only tuner that can give you stock mode, and switch over to 170hp/293lb-ft
You can change to stock with Revo if you have the SPS switch.
Why you'd ever want to though is another matter
There really is no best tuner! Just the one you choose.
Fun is to be had from all of the well known tuner brands.
Edit: Psst..................Pedalbox next! A must on a TDI

Last edited by STING; 01-10-2015 at 04:43 PM.
STING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #64
TorontoDUBBER
Rally Car Champion

I've been switching back and forth between both modes often as they both have characteristics that I like at different times, it probably sounds ridiculous but there is a different frequency to the engine in each mode. It's most easily described as the difference between a V-4 and an I-4.

Additional reasons:
Right now it's also novel to compare the two tunes...

I find that my tires snap loose from the pavement in our frigid weather and the stock mode may be better for snowy days... it's to be determined once the white stuff comes down again.

I'm not sure that I want the dealer to know about my tune just yet, they don't need an excuse to deny warranty coverage.

What I love about the tune is the I-4 revving nature but just as importantly it's better ability to hold a speed with less gas.

I might get bored by the summer and try the DSG tune. Need to read about it's benefits and short comings.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #65
mamock116
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI MT
So I have now put 70k miles on my Revo tune and I have not had a single issue.
mamock116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #66
TorontoDUBBER
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamock116 View Post
So I have now put 70k miles on my Revo tune and I have not had a single issue.
How is the fuel economy compare to stock? Do you see improvements at certain speeds/RPMs?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #67
mamock116
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI MT
I didn't notice any improvement to fuel economy. The tune mostly helps with mid range power from what i can feel. The only thing that I have seen increase fuel economy on my car is removing the flaps from the intake manifold. This also got rid of the bog when easing off the clutch in first.
mamock116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #68
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '12 Jetta 2.5 SEL; '14 328D xDrive
^Explain please.
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #69
YukonLT
Go Kart Newbie

If you think all tuners are the same, then I can't really keep a conversation going wih you. Tuning a diesel is completely different then tuning a gasoline engine, and the guys at APR are not diesel tuners. Also, I can't think of any situation that would warrant wanting to switch back to stock. Traction? Give me a break. These tunes aren't such a drastic change that it is making a huge difference that can't be compensated by easing off the pedal, unless you are just a horrible driver. Plus, why would you want to mess with the ECU like that so much, especially when APR has tuned it. Wait for it to brick itself.

I have nothing against APR with gasoline engines, they seem to do a great job. But, stick with guys that know Diesel engines when you want to get serious about it.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #70
YukonLT
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
APR is the only tuner that can give you stock mode, and switch over to 170hp/293lb-ft (crank i assume).... Even if the DSG doesn't allow all of the torque the engine is capable of the output when the DSG is finally updated. No matter which tune you get you'll have to overcome the DSG limits, and its separate in price and application. My guy can do the DSG at any time if i like but i'm enjoying the extra push across the board right now.. see when i get bored. IMO they're all the same shit - don't believe the hype. These guys all have DYNOs, and they all watch their charts as they add more/less fuel and air. Its easy-peasy!
Again, who cares about stock mode? Plus, you should know many people have had issues with APR tunes and another company tuning the DSG. It doesn't even make sense why anyone would want to to do that. I'm sorry, I just hate to see someone go down the road and find out the hard way when other people have already had it happen to them. Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.