GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
Cookie83

Drives: VW Golf TSI 1.4L MK6 (2011)
Cool VW Golf TSI Engine Noise

Hi Everyone,

I have a golf 1.4L MK 6 TSI and it has been making a terrible engine noise for a few months now. I topped up the engine oil thinking that was the issue but it still occurred.

The noise is only happening at initial start up first thing in the morning. The sound is like there is not enough oil getting to the hydraulic lifters. I took the car to Prestige and Performance in Coorparoo in Brisbane and they said it was because there wasn't enough oil in the oil filter (Ryco) anti-drain back system oil filter. So it was replaced with a genuine VW oil filter and topped up.

The noise kept occurring over the next few days so I took it back to them and they said it was the timing chain. So I had that replaced for $2,400. I just got the car back after a week as they couldn't get it done correctly and started the car this morning and the noise is still there but it isn't as bad.

Originally it lasted for 15 to 20 seconds, now it is only 5- 10 seconds. I am going to take it back to Prestige and Performance, however in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and/or might know what it is.

thank you,

Matt
Cookie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
Cookie83

Drives: VW Golf TSI 1.4L MK6 (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIUqLASIDlM

This car has the same noise that my car is making
Cookie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
blower
Oval Newbie

Drives: Golf GT mk6 1.4 tsi DSG
That's the camshaft adjuster sticking on startup - a common problem with early revision versions.

The adjuster was redesigned mid 2010 to stop this problem. The problem is the oil drains out of it when the engine has been sat for a while (over night) - so that in the morning, upon startup for the first few seconds there is no oil pressure and its stuck out of phase - making the engine sound very diesel like for a few seconds.

Many people mistake this for the chain being loose (stretched or tensioner failure) - but that's a slightly different type of sound. They end up getting the chain replaced and in many circumstances, if they use the genuine VW kit they also get a new camshaft adjuster - so the problem is fixed, but it was the adjuster and not the chain that fixed it.

You can help reduce this from happening with an engine oil flush and regular oil changes....if you have got a lot of miles on the engine and not had the chain replaced, then a flush might not be a good idea (if the chain is showing some stretch then the tensioner will have to extend more to compensate and if you are flushing all the oil out then on that particular oil change it can take a long time to get oil pressure to the tensioner and there is a risk the chain can skip)

I've seen engines run for years without problem with this noise - again it's different to the chain skip noise which sounds more rattly.

I did a post here some years ago to help you identify the particular startup noise, 4th post down : http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/for...p?f=25&t=20760
blower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine noise, vw golf tsi mk6