GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
lamboravi

Drives: 2012 Golf R, 2-door
Golf R: RPMs jump and re-catch during acceleration

My stock, unmodified 2012 Golf R has been behaving oddly under throttle the past few days. 72,000 miles on the odo.

With my foot nowhere near the clutch and in 4th gear or higher, medium throttle or more, as soon as the turbo has built significant boost around 3200rpm, the RPMs increase quickly but there is little acceleration resulting.

One might think the added torque from the boost is causing the clutch to slip especially against the higher gears, right? Well, here's where it gets odd.

Full throttle in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear is no problem at all, no drama. In 4th, when the RPMs reach ~3200, they jump to ~4000 and then immediately back down to ~3200 and the car resumes strong acceleration. Again, only occurs in gears 4,5,6.

After a test drive, local mechanic agrees it is not a simple case of a dying clutch.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks in advance!
lamboravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Squashdaddy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 6MT 2011 GTI
This makes sense to me, but may be wrong:

Because of the gear ratios in the higher gears, there is more torque being applied to the clutch in lower rpms than in lower gears. When my clutch started slipping it too was only in higher gears. To me, it sounds exactly like a slipping clutch. I don't even know if anything else could cause the issue you are having.
APR Stage 2 ECU - APR Carbonio Stage 1+2 - 42 Draft Designs Catted/Resonated Downpipe - Neuspeed Charge Pipe and Turbo Outlet Pipe - GFB DV+ - Fluidampr Crank Pully - HS Tuning RSR clutch -H&R 24mm rear swaybar - Unibrace UB - HPA Red Puck -Neuspeed Rse12 Hyperblack
Squashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
As a technician, I would describe those symptoms as a slipping clutch. 1-3 don't have anywhere near as much torque as 4th or above. Most of the times 4th is fine as well and starting off it'll only slip in 5th during WOT.

What did your mechanic think it was if not the clutch?
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
I want to say clutch too. It's all the same gears I had issues with when my clutch was going, but my rpms didn't react the same. Mine just kinda floated in place and didn't go anywhere for a couple seconds, then resumed as normal.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
TimS
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
That's exactly what my car was doing when my clutch started slipping - it held fine in low gears and at higher rpm, but it would slip and catch when boost built up at lower rpm.

The problems went away when I put in an upgraded clutch.

Last edited by TimS; 11-09-2018 at 08:10 AM.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
CHerna
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
My wife's old Evo did the exact same thing. It was the clutch.
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
erball
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Rolling burnouts
This is textbook slipping clutch. You're applying more of an engine load in the higher gears and it exacerbates the slipping.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
Fast-R
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 4 Door Golf R
As mentioned numerous times above, the symptoms you describe articulates exactly what happens when you have a slipping clutch. You haven't described any other symptoms for it to be anything else..

Might be time to get a new mechanic who is bit more proficient. Sticking with that one may lead you to be replacing or diagnosing things that aren't wrong..
Old 11-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
OlderSlower
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 VW Golf R
I had a similar experience and was certain it was the clutch as I had gone to stage 2 and knew the stock clutch would be iffy. It turned out that the clutch was fine, but the flywheel was bad. Only way to know for sure is open up and see what's wrong. bring the checkbook...
Stage 2, AWE Downpipe, Forge Twintake, Diesel Geeks Short Shifter, Konis, Wagner Intercooler, HPFP, diverter valve, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, BFI shift knob and an understated carbon fiber rear spoiler...
OlderSlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
See I have an issue that sounds similar. I just want to put this out there, so there isn't a sea of clutch comments. Just a quick note that if it turns out to be clutch related please run away from your mechanic, bc the signs, are fairly obvious. Now in 4-6th I have a situation where if I give medium to wot it almost sounds like my dv or wastegate is just dumping the boost. My car accelerates shitty bc of it. I can let off the gas and give it throttle again and it seems like whatever was dumping boost stops and it's fine. Mind you I'm not at low rpm's all the time when it happens. It happens at 3k+ as well.
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote