GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #2997
Ronnie_B
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspsychotic View Post
I'm for sure with you on the PID tuning issue, but (engineer here) I think it's due to too much derivative gain (and to a lesser extent integral gain) specifically... they're basically trying too hard to avoid overshoot. What I've consistently observed is that the boost will rise, then fall a bit little, then rise again to a bit higher level. This happens at pretty much any target boost level over 5 psi. At higher boost, it does oscillate, but it oscillates nearly entirely below the target boost level, which points to integral and derivative gain fighting each other.

More proportional gain, less integral (will help reduce overshoot) and especially less derivative gain to avoid the overdamped response.

The other thing that drives me bonkers is the low-speed response in 2nd and especially 1st gear. If you're rolling at say 10-15 mph and give some throttle input to maybe 30% throttle, you can watch the boost gauge fairly slowly go from vacuum to 0 psi to a little bit of boost even if you hold your foot completely still. This is a pretty unnerving sensation and makes you never really sure how much you're going to get for what you give in throttle input.

Definitely maddening. I'm hoping it'll clear up a bit with Stage 2 v2.4 which I'm headed to next week. Otherwise, Stratified it is.
I'm with you on the fact that the proportional gain and integral gain are fighting each other, creating the fluctuation in the process value. By gain, I meant integral gain being way too high, which is forcing the output up. The proportional gain may also need to be lowered, depending on how the loop responds to a lowered integral gain. Again, it's called "loop tuning" for a reason, so much of this will need to be tested.
What I do know is that these oscillations are classic symptom of an improperly tuned PID loop. I wish APR would listen to its customers, given we're engineers essentially offering free control system consulting advice on how to fix their issues.

I did notice a fairly significant improvement when going to Stage 2, and I'm really hoping that the issue doesn't start to creep back. The most maddening feeling is accelerating in 4th gear out of Turn 10 on the VIR Full Course, on the heels of an M3, and feeling the boost oscillate back and forth as the car in front pulls away.
APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, ECS Subframe collar kit, G-LOC GS-1 / R8 Pads, Centric Blank Rotors, TS Brake Bushing Kit, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Yokohama AD08R's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street) Build Thread

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 06-26-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #2998
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie_B View Post
I wish APR would listen to its customers, given we're engineers essentially offering free control system consulting advice on how to fix their issues.
People have been complaining for well over a year now. They don't give a shit.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #2999
Dimbos666
Ready to race!

Drives: mk6 GTI 2012 APR stg2
I checked a log. The strange situation, in the certain range of turns 3000-4000 for some reason opens N75 though having inflated corresponds to a request. Today I changed N249 and N75-the problem remained, also waves by sharp pressing with 3000 to 4000, everything is farther perfectly... What else to look at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (245.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (270.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Dimbos666; 06-28-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Dimbos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #3000
thatspsychotic
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimbos666 View Post
I checked a log. The strange situation, in the certain range of turns 3000-4000 for some reason opens N75 though having inflated corresponds to a request. Today I changed N249 and N75-the problem remained, also waves by sharp pressing with 3000 to 4000, everything is farther perfectly... What else to look at?
Did you check/replace your PCV (N80)? Failed PCV could cause boost oscillations, but honestly it is probably the tune.
APR Stage 2 v2.4, Carbonio, Cast Downpipe | PTP Turbo Blanket | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Stage 1 Mounts | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18

Future: Something other than APR tune
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #3001
Lazer 100
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
I'm stage II with version 1.2 now and am thinking about updating. From what I understand it should be ok with the Forge dv and catch can with pcv delete, but I could be wrong. I also have 02 sensor spacers, which I understand might cause a problem. Any advice?
Lazer 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #3002
Verserk-MK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG 4 door AB 6 speed GTI
Wow i have not checked this for a long time. Seems the issue i have on occasion seems to plague many.
Would love to see a resolution from APR. Would be nice considering the amount of money most of us have spent on their product.
Verserk-MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #3003
Arin@APR
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
If you have a problem, I'd suggest emailing our support team at support@goapr.com.

For what it's worth, recently our support team emailed every single customer reporting any sort of issues and asked them to try a new beta update. Only 2 customers responded, and neither of them ever flashed the file. Needless to say, we have nothing to flx / release / etc if we can't get confirmation anything has changed.
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #3004
Ronnie_B
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
If you have a problem, I'd suggest emailing our support team at support@goapr.com.

For what it's worth, recently our support team emailed every single customer reporting any sort of issues and asked them to try a new beta update. Only 2 customers responded, and neither of them ever flashed the file. Needless to say, we have nothing to flx / release / etc if we can't get confirmation anything has changed.
I was one of the 2 customers who responded and have the beta file waiting at my APR dealer. There's a few different reasons why I haven't flashed yet:
1. The first week it was available I had a 2 day track event with Trackdaze at VIR, and I didn't feel comfortable thrashing on the car with a beta tune without testing on the street first.
2. I was rear-ended the following week and the car has been in the shop being repaired.
3. When I finally do get the car back and have it flashed, the verdict of whether it fixes the boost oscillation issue won't be immediately apparent. Unfortunately, the issue mainly occurs during warm / high humidity weather, so this time of year the car runs absolutely great. Part of me wants to wait until next year when I can take logs before and after the flash when I know the issue is occurring. This will allow me to provide immediate feedback on whether the beta file resolves the issue.

Anyway, that's probably more than you care to know, but it's my situation at the moment. Personally, I'm glad that APR continues to provide support for our tunes and is willing to make these types of tweaks and beta files available.
APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, ECS Subframe collar kit, G-LOC GS-1 / R8 Pads, Centric Blank Rotors, TS Brake Bushing Kit, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Yokohama AD08R's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street) Build Thread

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 11-15-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #3005
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Anyway, that's probably more than you care to know, but it's my situation at the moment. Personally, I'm glad that APR continues to provide support for our tunes and is willing to make these types of tweaks and beta files available. [/quote]

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|custom straight pipe catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #3006
Arin@APR
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
Thank you for the update Ronnie! I hope everything works out.
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #3007
Lazer 100
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post

I donít remember seeing that email, but to be fair Iím not sure which email account I used when I originally had it flashed like 6 years ago. That being said, I got a stage II update back in August (was running the original stage II flash) and it has been waaaayyyyy better. Flatter torque curve. Seems like a boost increase maybe? Either way, Iím definitely satisfied. Havenít had any pulsating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lazer 100 is offline   Reply With Quote