GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > CANADA

Old 02-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #1
forwardlean
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: CW MK6 DSG GTI
3rd Brake Light

Have any of you guys purchased the replacement light bar here at a dealer?

I've had moisture in mine for basically the whole time I've owned the car. I asked about this during a service visit many years ago when under warranty and was told that I'd have to get the spoiler cut out to replace it at one of the affiliate body shops. Seemed like a lot of time and effort and potential for things to not be the way they were when the car was new, so I left it.

Now I'm out of warranty and just got a warning that the bar was dead. Checked it and about half the LEDs are out in random spots. Searched the web and in fact you can just pop this light out (doesn't need the spoiler cutting).

Sorry for the long post but was wondering if any one else has had to deal with this?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:10 AM   #2
GibbyGTI
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
I'm not sure about your other questions, but I can confirm it does indeed pop out without touching the spoiler. You'll see two little metal tabs underneath on both sides IIRC. Find an appropriate tool, pull them out towards you (might be a little stuck due to crud, just take your time and careful not to scratch your paint). The bar should slide out and expose the wired connections.
GibbyGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Yes, it pops out easily. The clips can be a little tricky so be careful. The OEM part number for the third brake light assembly is 5K6945087C and looks to run $60-80 for the genuine part.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
forwardlean
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: CW MK6 DSG GTI
Thanks guys. I got one ordered. I might wait for the weather to warm up so I don't crack anything. $85 Canadian Pesos.