GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 12-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
pdan
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2009 VW Jetta TDI (sold), 2013 GTI
Stock to Stage 2

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has any pointers about going directly to stage 2 from stock. Itís gotta save some money right??

Currently Iíve got an intake and a catback and Iím about to put in R8 coils and NGK plugs. Iíve also got a downpipe on the way that Iím going to be installing this month.

Havenít gotten any tune yet mostly cause I was trying to save a little bit of money, not have to get a clutch, and because I still have about a year left on the CPO warranty.

However the more I think about it I may as well start saving for a clutch fund and go stage 2 (APR) as soon as Iíve got the money saved for both. Also side note, no real issues with running a downpipe without the tune correct?? Except for the CEL that may or may not be fixed with a spacer, as Iím CBFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Might as well wait until you have the aftermarket clutch in before going with a tune. Take a good look at the factory clutch disc once it's out. The springs on it are about the width of your pinky finger. LOL
Old 12-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
sounds like you already have your plan.
Although i would recommend COBB with a Stratified Tune. Its about the same price as APR stage 2 (assuming you aren't using their down-pipe). And when it comes time to sell the car or go back to stock you can un-marry the Accessport and sell it for like 80% of what you paid for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
CHerna
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
sounds like you already have your plan.
Although i would recommend COBB with a Stratified Tune. Its about the same price as APR stage 2 (assuming you aren't using their down-pipe). And when it comes time to sell the car or go back to stock you can un-marry the Accessport and sell it for like 80% of what you paid for it
x2
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Plus with Cobb you don't end up supporting APR. Win win!
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Sauce118

Drives: 2010 VW GTI (6spd White)
Stage 1 I could run factory clutch. Two days after stage 2 I started slipping so bad It really pissed me off. Also APR only charges 150 to upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2 so really your are only losing about 200 bucks if you go in order. I personally would do it all over again the way I did. It gave me appreciation and knowledge for each step. I started at stage 1 and then went FMIC and DP then stage 2 then the bug hit me and I went crazy and did about everything I possibly could prior to K04. Now I am in the process of GT3071 build.. And I would do it all over again. Just my .02

You can absolutely run a DP on stock tune or stage 1 with some minimal gains. It will also sound much better. You can get an 02 spacer, some had to do the 90* spacer on stock tune to mitigate the CEL. As soon as you get the stage 2 tune though, it is automatically coded to run w/ out the CEL.
2010 GTi 6mt: Candy White: CTS K04 W/APR v3.12: AQUAMIST HFS-4 v3.1 W/M Direct Port: Peloquin LSD: Wilwood BBK: CTS Downpipe: Beluga CatBack: ARM Motorsports FMIC: CTS CAI: CTS BOV Kit: RSR Clutch: CTS Charge Pipes: Fluidampr Pulley: Koni Coilovers: WALK Kit: SPM Full Mounts: DieselGeek SS w/ bushings: Eurosport Front & Rear Strut Bar: STERN Brace: HID's: 'R' Grill: Various Cosmetics GT3073 BUILD IN PROGRESS!!!
Sauce118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
pdan
Oval Newbie

Thanks for the responses, and yeah I really think about just going stage 1 any day every day. I havenít yet because I keep telling myself donít do anything that could ruin the warranty ha yet here I am with a downpipe on the way.

Also I had decided on APR because I live 15 mins from the headquarters, but Iíve been looking more and more into a Cobb port with a stratified tune. Itís the only other tune Iím really considering. Still doing my research, but it seems like APR puts more power down. The access port really does seem appealing however.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
pdan
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce118 View Post

You can absolutely run a DP on stock tune or stage 1 with some minimal gains. It will also sound much better. You can get an 02 spacer, some had to do the 90* spacer on stock tune to mitigate the CEL. As soon as you get the stage 2 tune though, it is automatically coded to run w/ out the CEL.

Thanks, I was pretty sure but just wanted to confirm. I think I read some post that said it might affect long term trims or something. Iíll probably just order that j curve spacer from RAI and try my luck with CEL.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #9
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
Going from stock to stage 2 this week. Currently have a full turbo back Beluga exhaust with a spacer for the o2, no CELs at all. As for a tuner I went with Eurodyne Maestro because I can tune it myself if I want, as in at home and actually mess with fueling and such. I considered APR and others but didn't want to have to go to a shop to have tunes changed or updated, I'd rather do it in my garage.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:12 AM   #10
Sauce118

Drives: 2010 VW GTI (6spd White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdan View Post
Thanks, I was pretty sure but just wanted to confirm. I think I read some post that said it might affect long term trims or something. Iíll probably just order that j curve spacer from RAI and try my luck with CEL.

You can re-set your long and short term fuel trims w/ VCDS. I would think it might have a slight affect on them, but nothing to be concerned about. but I don't know tbh. I ran stage 1 w/ DP for some time and even w/ out the stage 2 tune, you can definitely feel a smoother power band up top. Stage 2 from stage 1 w/ downpipe used to be not that different (though it was a little different), but now they have that new high torque stage 2 file which I was k04 before they came out w/ that. I would like to think the difference between stage 1 and 2 now is def worth it.
2010 GTi 6mt: Candy White: CTS K04 W/APR v3.12: AQUAMIST HFS-4 v3.1 W/M Direct Port: Peloquin LSD: Wilwood BBK: CTS Downpipe: Beluga CatBack: ARM Motorsports FMIC: CTS CAI: CTS BOV Kit: RSR Clutch: CTS Charge Pipes: Fluidampr Pulley: Koni Coilovers: WALK Kit: SPM Full Mounts: DieselGeek SS w/ bushings: Eurosport Front & Rear Strut Bar: STERN Brace: HID's: 'R' Grill: Various Cosmetics GT3073 BUILD IN PROGRESS!!!
Sauce118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
pdan
Oval Newbie

Quote:
You can re-set your long and short term fuel trims w/ VCDS. I would think it might have a slight affect on them, but nothing to be concerned about. but I don't know tbh. I ran stage 1 w/ DP for some time and even w/ out the stage 2 tune, you can definitely feel a smoother power band up top. Stage 2 from stage 1 w/ downpipe used to be not that different (though it was a little different), but now they have that new high torque stage 2 file which I was k04 before they came out w/ that. I would like to think the difference between stage 1 and 2 now is def worth it.

Thanks for the tip, yet another reason that I really need to get VCDS.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #12
BudgetPhoenix

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:

Pulling the battery or clearing faults with any old OBD2 reader will clear fuel trims
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #13
markus037
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 4dr DSG
i plan on doing the same. dont know which tune i want to go with though.
markus037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #14
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
Went Eurodyne stage 2 tonight. Its awesome! First gear is a complete joke and 2nd its much better. It probably doesn't help I have crappy all seasons and it was 24 degrees tonight.