GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 03-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Rear interior creaking and squeaks

Looking for feedback on how people have resolved these annoying creaks and squeaks. Has been there for some time after the Unibrace UB and RB installed along with a 24mm H&R rear sway bar. When I put in the Tyrolsport stage 1 brace, it helped but wasnít fully gone. Recently I had a set of VWR sport shocks and struts with the VWR springs installed for a suspension refresh. Also, SuperPro trailing arms bushings at the time of suspension install. I noticed the tech put the rear sway bar links on the stiff setting so Iím sure this is causing some extra noise due to extra stiffness from the bar.

My question is, what have people done to their interior to counteract the creaks? Itís really only from the passengerís side rear trim that extends into the trunk. Thatís by far where most of the noise comes from. Do people Velcro and use 3M adhesive strips to secure the trim better from shifting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hbrown0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Rear interior creaking and squeaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrown0509 View Post
Looking for feedback on how people have resolved these annoying creaks and squeaks. Has been there for some time after the Unibrace UB and RB installed along with a 24mm H&R rear sway bar. When I put in the Tyrolsport stage 1 brace, it helped but wasnít fully gone. Recently I had a set of VWR sport shocks and struts with the VWR springs installed for a suspension refresh. Also, SuperPro trailing arms bushings at the time of suspension install. I noticed the tech put the rear sway bar links on the stiff setting so Iím sure this is causing some extra noise due to extra stiffness from the bar.

My question is, what have people done to their interior to counteract the creaks? Itís really only from the passengerís side rear trim that extends into the trunk. Thatís by far where most of the noise comes from. Do people Velcro and use 3M adhesive strips to secure the trim better from shifting?

Iíve been around the whole car over a period of time with torx in hand and have tightened up every screw I could see and couldnít!, In some cases Iíve lined between pieces with (tesa) cloth tape, one of the worst squeaks I had was the expended foam piece in the spare wheel that holds the tools (may be different in the states)! It would rub on the inside of the wheel and sound like balloons squeaking together, I completely wrapped it in tesa tape and itís now silent, my cluster was another one, I removed it and tightened the screws that hold the back cover onto the clocks, again completely quiet now, Iíve also recently found a German product made by a company called Normfest, itís called soules protect, itís described as interior assembly spray and says it eliminates ďsqueaksĒ and ďcracksĒ, it works brilliantly on tightly fitting pieces of trim such as the dash trim etc, my car is near silent inside now and has lasted well as I did it many months ago, occasionally I get a new squeak but can usually stop it easily, this is the spray but I donít know how easy it would be to find outside Europe!
https://youtu.be/LIoDWsUby6g

Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:18 AM   #3
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
^ great tips. also, the leather seats rub together at their seams. found a ton of rattles from the rear center seatback/cupholder combo. Took that apart and rebuilt it with some sound deadening methods employed to really take care of the issue. Beyond that, I also rebuilt the rear hatch panel as there were tons of metal to plastic contact points that weren't kept from rattling together.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Thanks for the good tips and advice! Yeah not sure if there is anything equivalent to that spray here in the states unfortunately.

hbrown0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:07 AM   #5
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
I also use Wurth rubber fit (gummi pflege) on the door rubbers, works a treat.

Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:49 AM   #6
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
^ sailcote (or sailcoat?) works well for reducing squeaks on the door seals/sunroofs too.

In the states there is a rubber sound deadening spray they sell at autozone and the like. Ive used it; it's alright, does the job