GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-29-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
ricdiablo
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI 4D Snrf/Nav Deep Black Met
Ignition Coil Spark Plug Replacement Costs

So Thursday, I was in a hurry and stuck in traffic long enough to be down to fumes in my gas tank. I stopped by a Chevron on Crenshaw, but wasn't paying attention to what I was doing (really old style gas pumps) and accidentally put in about 5 gallons of 87 octane.

Friday, I am making a left turn and the car starts crazy misfiring, complete with EPC light and blinking engine light. I filled it the rest of the way with 91 from a different station (not that it would even matter, but what the heck, let's just try it). Of course it did not help. I had to get it towed to the dealership and have just been quoted:

$581 for ignition coils & spark plugs + $138 for fuel induction service.

2 questions:
1. Price...should I tow it away and go somewhere else?
2. 2012, less than 50K miles, no modifications, what the hell was in that gas?
ricdiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiablo View Post
So Thursday, I was in a hurry and stuck in traffic long enough to be down to fumes in my gas tank. I stopped by a Chevron on Crenshaw, but wasn't paying attention to what I was doing (really old style gas pumps) and accidentally put in about 5 gallons of 87 octane.

Friday, I am making a left turn and the car starts crazy misfiring, complete with EPC light and blinking engine light. I filled it the rest of the way with 91 from a different station (not that it would even matter, but what the heck, let's just try it). Of course it did not help. I had to get it towed to the dealership and have just been quoted:

2 questions:
Holy fucking ballsack that's expensive. Run some octane booster, buy the coils and plugs online and have someone on here help you replace them if you don't know what your are doing.
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
That's pretty crazy. Coils and plugs for just the parts themselves shouldn't cost more than $130-150. Since it's a dealer they'll charge you for at least an hour of labor because that's pretty much their minimum, so that shouldn't be more than $100ish. Not sure about the fuel induction service though.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
ricdiablo
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart2278 View Post
Holy fucking ballsack that's expensive.
LOL. Right?!? It's my first experience with this particular dealer. I wouldn't have expected them to be that ballzy. Especially on something that anybody could type into google and get a general idea of the cost.

Quote:
Run some octane booster, buy the coils and plugs online and have someone on here help you replace them if you don't know what your are doing.
Thanks.
This is my daily, so I don't have the luxury of ordering from ECS and doing the installation. I'm not talking intermittent misfires, I'm talking it's downright undriveable right now. I do have a contact at a different location, and will probably just tow it there.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Yea I feel you. It's too much money they are trying to get at you Weinstein style
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
ricdiablo
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Yea I feel you. It's too much money they are trying to get at you Weinstein style
lol. exactly. (+1 for your Boston Terrier. Looks just like my dog.)
Old 01-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Obligatory dad pulls out wallet moment:

Finny

Loki

Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #8
ricdiablo
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Obligatory dad pulls out wallet moment:

Finny

Loki
I really needed that cuteness.

Benny

Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #9
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Adorable
Old 01-30-2018, 02:43 AM   #10
ricdiablo
Oval Newbie

Thank you and Likewise!
(I can't believe you have actually have two Boston "Terrors")
Old 01-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
CHerna
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
Dude, try it yourself.

It takes like 30 mins, an hour at most. Look up some videos on youtube, if need be.

Upgrade to the better R8 coils while you're at it.

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products...iABEgI3YvD_BwE

Good luck OP
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #12
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
i paid $130 for my r8 coils and spark plugs. Did it myself with a $4 harbor freight spark plug socket/extension took about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
Wolffman316
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 VW GTI 2 dr Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiablo View Post

2 questions:

That’s pretty much assault. $130 for parts at most. I got r8 coils and new spark plugs for $105 combined. Then changed everything in 20 minutes. I’d speak to a manager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolffman316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
too Wolfman (for some reason i cant quote you).

I went in to get a 60k service(well called in about price). My dealer wanted $425.00 for a oil change, spark plug replacement, and general service check/top offs. I went home ordered the stuff myself along with fuel filter for $160.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil pack, fuel induction, ignition coil, misfire