GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
mrgoodbar
Autocross Champion

Drives: CSG MK6
FX200 Review APR Stage 1

I heard all the complaints about the south bend clutches so when I needed a new clutch, I was looking at the FX200 and FX300. I ended up going with the FX200 Clutch Masters with their steel flywheel.

This all started because a day after my stage 1 flash, apparently the stock clutch plate cracked in half right down the middle according to the vw technician that worked on my car.

Anyway, its been a couple days since the new clutch and fly wheel installed and it feels great! The clutch feel almost like stock and is only slightly stiffer than stock actually which is great for daily driving. I definitely can feel the improvements in acceleration and the gears engage quicker and more smooth as compared to stock which I am very happy about.

There is some "chattering" noise as I sort of expected. You can only really hear it if your looking for it (windows down and no music). I hope this will start to decrease as I put more miles on it and the clutch breaks in. You cant hear anything with the windows up and with some music in the back ground so its no biggie.

I will be hopefully be driving this car to vegas and back this weekend so that should put a good amount of miles on it, I will update the thread once I get back.

If anyone has any other questions related to how it sounds/feels I would be happy to try to answer them.
mrgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 6mt
So any update? How's the chatter?

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Mustache rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
mrgoodbar
Autocross Champion

Chatter/Sounds
So here is an update after my drive to Las Vegas. Shifting from gear to gear, I hear nothing now and pretty happy with that.

However, one thing me and my friends noticed was that with the AC on and the car in neutral at a complete stop, it sounded like there was a helicopter lol. This was maybe about 270 miles into it.

After returning from Vegas, this sound seems to have gone away, probably just needed to be broken in more.

Clutch engaging/ Pedal Feel
From the get go, the way the clutch feels and how quickly/smoothly the gears engage vs stock can be quickly noticed. Like I said in a previous post, the pedal feel is only slightly more stiff that stock which makes it great for a daily driver like I use my GTI.

Conclusion
You will definitely not be dissapointed, I would recommended this to anyone planning to stay stage1 because I think they recommend using this clutch for a certain amount of torque.

If your going for more heavy duty power like k04 or stage 2 plus, I would recommend going for the FX400 like some other members have gone, they have great reviews.

Thanks for listening
2010 MK6 CSG| A P R K 0 4 v3.1 | H&R Super Sports | SPM Street TBE | VDTA Intake | FX200 Clutch Masters | OEM R-Tails | Bi-Xenon Retrofit | Color Matched Side Markers | O.Z. Superturismo LM 18" | Rear Reflector Delete | Motul 600 Brake Fluid | SS Lines | Brembo BBK GT 330x28 | 24mm RSB Eibach | Godspeed FMIC V1| Hawk DTC-60 Pads|
Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion

Good review. Thanks for the update

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Old 09-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Z4M, GTI
What's the weight of the steel flywheel?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion

20lbs

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Cotizi
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI 6-Speed
i just got the FX400 installed with the 20lb steel flywheel... i get some chatter upon accelerating in gear, do you get this as well? I only have about 150 miles on the clutch, mostly highway, so im curious if this is normal or will slowly go away? It actually annoys me much more than the chatter in neutral with the AC on. It seems to only really be around at 1-2k rpm cruising in higher gears.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
mrgoodbar
Autocross Champion

I really did not get that much chatter actually when accelerating, it was mostly in neutral. I did hear it somewhat but it did go away after time. The break in time is usually 500 miles so I would wait then to see if the chatter is still there. After the break in of about 500 miles I hear little or no chatter.
2010 MK6 CSG| A P R K 0 4 v3.1 | H&R Super Sports | SPM Street TBE | VDTA Intake | FX200 Clutch Masters | OEM R-Tails | Bi-Xenon Retrofit | Color Matched Side Markers | O.Z. Superturismo LM 18" | Rear Reflector Delete | Motul 600 Brake Fluid | SS Lines | Brembo BBK GT 330x28 | 24mm RSB Eibach | Godspeed FMIC V1| Hawk DTC-60 Pads|
Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotizi View Post
i just got the FX400 installed with the 20lb steel flywheel... i get some chatter upon accelerating in gear, do you get this as well? I only have about 150 miles on the clutch, mostly highway, so im curious if this is normal or will slowly go away? It actually annoys me much more than the chatter in neutral with the AC on. It seems to only really be around at 1-2k rpm cruising in higher gears.
I do not get this and never got this with my FX400... pay attention to it. If it doesnt go away in 500- 1000 miles i would have it checked.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Norsk
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '16 DBP GTI SE PP 6MT with LP
Which clutchmaster is perfect for Stage 2 Performance with lot of daily driven miles with no track times?
Norsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion

I plan on the fx200 on my apr stage 2

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion

Btw, clutchmasters has a fx200 that works with the stock dmf that's about $700 on amazon. It uses a rigid disk instead of a sprung which is fine w/ a dmf.

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Norsk
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '16 DBP GTI SE PP 6MT with LP
Ok, I have SBC Stage 2 Daily Non-Silent, I am hating this clutch because it doesnt do good in traffic. I always smell clutch burn when I am in heavy traffic on the hill or NYC traffic on the way up to Massachusetts. The SBC engagement point has changed a lot and it is now at between high and middle.

BTW, My car is Unitronic Stage 2 Performance. I don't launch the car or race at all. It is mainly DD car, I want a clutch that has stock clutch feeling in the traffic.
Norsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Z4M, GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk View Post
Ok, I have SBC Stage 2 Daily Non-Silent, I am hating this clutch because it doesnt do good in traffic. I always smell clutch burn when I am in heavy traffic on the hill or NYC traffic on the way up to Massachusetts. The SBC engagement point has changed a lot and it is now at between high and middle.

BTW, My car is Unitronic Stage 2 Performance. I don't launch the car or race at all. It is mainly DD car, I want a clutch that has stock clutch feeling in the traffic.
How long have you had it? Mine is fine in heavy traffic.

Sent via Tapatalk, probably with typos.