GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
nyGTI3491
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Had a 2008 gti now a have 2013 gti
Passing inspection with APR ko4 tune?!

I live in ny and tried getting my first inspection since going ko4 and it failed. I was previously giac stage 2 and never had an issue. It failed for readiness. I’m currently cat-less and have ccta engine. I have read that I have to flash back to stock and add a j spacer in one of the 2 o2 sensors and maybe change the map sensors but not sure if thats true. If someone can tell me on how they passed and can tell me that would be awesome. Thanks!
nyGTI3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Flashing back to stock and putting on o2 spacers should work but thats if you can actually get them to work. My self and many others had issues with o2 spacers causing other lean or rich codes depending on spacing. In California theres a visual component to smog so pretty much everyone just throws on the stock downpipe and flashes to stage 1 or stock, should be fine to do with a k04 too if its just on for smog and you dont beat on it.

Last edited by BudgetPhoenix; 06-04-2019 at 10:05 PM.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
nyGTI3491
Touring Car Newbie

Thanks for your feedback! I currently don’t have a stock downpipe so I’m going to try the spacer and the stock tune. Then if that doesn’t work I’m going to have to get a stock dp by the end of the month.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 155k+
I believe NY will fail you for not having the catalytic converter. APR can help you with readiness, but you will physically need the cat to be there.
Have a high flow cat installed on your current downpipe, have your tune fixed, you will probably pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Get all mods done pre marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
leiito
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf GTI 2-door 6mt
If you have VCDS you can set readiness under engine basic settings right before taking it in.
leiito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
OhioMK6
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Flashing back to stock and putting on o2 spacers should work but thats if you can actually get them to work. My self and many others had issues with o2 spacers causing other lean or rich codes depending on spacing. In California theres a visual component to smog so pretty much everyone just throws on the stock downpipe and flashes to stage 1 or stock, should be fine to do with a k04 too if its just on for smog and you dont beat on it.

On a CCTA car, wouldn't the second O2 sensor not effect AFR (thus not throwing rich/lean codes.) . I thought only the first sensor uses wideband to determine AFR.
Borg Warner K04 | Stratified Protune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMK6 View Post
On a CCTA car, wouldn't the second O2 sensor not effect AFR (thus not throwing rich/lean codes.) . I thought only the first sensor uses wideband to determine AFR.
Yes the first o2 sensor is the wideband sensor but there's still a plethora of codes that can be thrown with an improperly spaced rear sensor ive tested this out. Forgot which codes but spending on direction the spacer is facing or how far its extended I got it to throw various xxx rich or xxx lean codes. I forgot what the codes were but they don't affect drive ability at all but you'd still fail smog in California.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
nyGTI3491
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
I believe NY will fail you for not having the catalytic converter. APR can help you with readiness, but you will physically need the cat to be there.
Have a high flow cat installed on your current downpipe, have your tune fixed, you will probably pass.
Okay Iíll got to give them a call anyway. The place I got my car tuned never told me which programs in the order? Iíll ask them if about the readiness.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
ebuuz
Autocross Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Switch to stock APR k04 map, run vibrant spacer on rear (comes with 3 different hole sizes, I believe the middle one worked for me). Clear all codes. Drive and stay out of boost until readiness clears (check with vagcom). Then scan.

If you drive too hard the rear 02 sensor will sense the extra flow and throw CEL.

This is what worked for me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 CW 6 speed. F23T on APR k04 v3.1, APR Carbonio, CTS turboback, Clutchnet 6 puck disc, 034 Street Density motor and transmission mounts, Hawk HPS 5.0, Motul RBF600, Newsouth boost gauge, DieselGeek SS

Dyno vid of my car
ebuuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
MK6_Martinez
Oval Newbie

Drives: Candy White 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuuz View Post
Switch to stock APR k04 map, run vibrant spacer on rear (comes with 3 different hole sizes, I believe the middle one worked for me). Clear all codes. Drive and stay out of boost until readiness clears (check with vagcom). Then scan.

If you drive too hard the rear 02 sensor will sense the extra flow and throw CEL.

This is what worked for me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a much different set up, but if it wasn't for me focusing on trying to stay out of boost I'd still not have my inspection sticker.

I cleared all codes 6-8 times and tried two different spacers but nothing worked until I just drove like a legitimate grandmother for a few days until I got readiness on all the checks.