GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 155k+
Intake manifold- plates in the head

So my manifold finally broke, I'm swapping it now. Has anyone tried running without the plates in the intake ports on the head? I would think it would flow a little better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Get all mods done pre marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
Stock-GTI
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Ran IE intake manifold for the last year or so. It required the removal of the intake port plates. Went back to oem manifold last week. Only difference I saw between the two setups was a small amount of low end tq. Mid and Top end power are very similar. Looks like I lost ~5 g/s of peak maf flow but overall it was close across the Rev range. Peak boost is within 1/2 a lb. of old setup.

I know that mod helped on FSI engines, but TSI head flows a lot better so I don't know how much gain is really there.

I'm running a modified stock turbo for context.

Last edited by Stock-GTI; 06-02-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Stock-GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Thanks. I'm not expecting a drastic change, I see them as one less thing to attract carbon build up. The gasket looks like it will seal just fine either way.
As a side note, my old manifold wore some material off the head...apparently the plastic pieces that go over the flap rod were moving around. The wear is quite surprising.
Quote:
Quote:
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
Jiffyjetta
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: Mk6 GLI, Mk7 Sportwagen.
If anything you'll probably loose low and mid range power. The intake flaps and those plates don't become a restriction until you have a bigger turbo. They're beneficial by limiting airflow at lower rpms and this increases torque.
Jiffyjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Well, my reasoning is there is still the restriction at the manifold...the flaps still close.
Second, I am big turbo (k04) so no worries.
Third, these are some of the smallest ports I've seen. My B16 Honda motor had a larger intake. I think these plates are for emission more than anything. I'm just waiting for a new coolant temp harness, somehow it was snagged on the intake and broke.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
U-20T
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: BT GTI4Motion
The plates help air flow at low speeds and idle. A k04 you w0nt see any different, also the ecu VE is calculated with plates in. You say small port but most have lost power when trying to port the head.
U-20T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

FWIW, I've been running without these plates a week for about a week...no ill effects. Haven't noticed anything different at idle or low rpm. Maybe some extra exhaust pops, that's a win for me.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by zrickety; 06-11-2019 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
riceburner
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
I may be sorely mistaken, but my memory is telling me a very experienced VW guy told me those flaps are there for good reason - mostly to help with cold starts, and so in cold weather your car may struggle (or fail) to start/run well. Beyond that, i am not certain if they help much else, but are not a source of any notable constriction so removing them is not advisable.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
zef
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
+1 what rice said... the flaps are part of the runner flap design.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
I may be sorely mistaken, but my memory is telling me a very experienced VW guy told me those flaps are there for good reason - mostly to help with cold starts
The flaps are in place, they still restrict air flow. I'm talking about the plates that slide into the head, the ones that everybody scrapes clean. I removed them and the car is fine.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #11
U-20T
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: BT GTI4Motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
The flaps are in place, they still restrict air flow. I'm talking about the plates that slide into the head, the ones that everybody scrapes clean. I removed them and the car is fine.
They do not restrict flow, the head flows well up to 600hp. After that then they could be a true restriction. you will not see a difference on a ko4 and down, even on a 28 series turbo i doubt there is too much of a difference

I have made over 600hp on an oem head and intake manifold.
U-20T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

I hear what you're saying. When the flaps are closed, they do restrict. Some kind of air tumble at idle. When open, I'm sure it flows just fine. The plates are flat, so sure not a big deal. But I do see them as another place for carbon buildup. The gunk is significant. I won't miss them.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by zrickety; 06-11-2019 at 04:47 PM.