GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #141
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: stick 4d CSG '11 Mk6
Just wanted to bring my 2 cents to the suspension discussion since I went from OEM to B8/DG to now B14 PSS. Other mods I've made affecting suspension/drive quality are sway bars and a switch from 18" to 17" rims and different tire specs.

I was very happy with the B8/DG set-up which was a marked improvement over OEM. The car was stiffer yet absorbed small and big road damage much better, which allowed me to drive faster more confidently. The only weakness I could point to is the slight remaining sway made obvious on the track. To sum up, great combo for dd and spirited driving but less so for more demanding driving like on the track. Finally, what made me switch to the B14 PSS is pure vanity: I wanted a lowered stance to complement the look I was looking to achieve.

I've now had the B14 PSS for a couple of weeks. The front are at the lowest setting and the rear were set to match the front's height (I will upload pics tonight).

The first obvious difference is how much stiffer the ride is which, in my opinion, is no longer in the upgraded dd category (unless you own an S2000..). The car effectively has zero sway in fast, long or tight turns; it stays flat which is exhilarating. But if the road is uneven or rough, the car bounces uncomfortably, reducing road adherence enough to force me to slow down to get some grip.

Since then, I have modified my front sway bar from hard to soft (front and back) and that seems to reduce the lateral stiffness and allows the shocks to prevent the sway on their own. It's an improvement and I'm sure with other adjustments (shocks height/ endlinks/sway bar) I should find a proper balance, less track dedicated and more dd spirited. I hope.
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #142
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Just wanted to bring my 2 cents to the suspension discussion since I went from OEM to B8/DG to now B14 PSS. Other mods I've made affecting suspension/drive quality are sway bars and a switch from 18" to 17" rims and different tire specs.

I was very happy with the B8/DG set-up which was a marked improvement over OEM. The car was stiffer yet absorbed small and big road damage much better, which allowed me to drive faster more confidently. The only weakness I could point to is the slight remaining sway made obvious on the track. To sum up, great combo for dd and spirited driving but less so for more demanding driving like on the track. Finally, what made me switch to the B14 PSS is pure vanity: I wanted a lowered stance to complement the look I was looking to achieve.

I've now had the B14 PSS for a couple of weeks. The front are at the lowest setting and the rear were set to match the front's height (I will upload pics tonight).

The first obvious difference is how much stiffer the ride is which, in my opinion, is no longer in the upgraded dd category (unless you own an S2000..). The car effectively has zero sway in fast, long or tight turns; it stays flat which is exhilarating. But if the road is uneven or rough, the car bounces uncomfortably, reducing road adherence enough to force me to slow down to get some grip.

Since then, I have modified my front sway bar from hard to soft (front and back) and that seems to reduce the lateral stiffness and allows the shocks to prevent the sway on their own. It's an improvement and I'm sure with other adjustments (shocks height/ endlinks/sway bar) I should find a proper balance, less track dedicated and more dd spirited. I hope.
so the b14 definitely rides stiffer than B8/DG ?
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | APR DP | Magnaflow | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 Mounts | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 | VERUS |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #143
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
so the b14 definitely rides stiffer than B8/DG ?
In a nutshell? Definitely.
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Old 12-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #144
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
In a nutshell? Definitely.
nice, thanks for your review and comparison. i think i'll just go with B8s in the future
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | APR DP | Magnaflow | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 Mounts | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 | VERUS |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #145
gti330ex
FIA GT Champion

Drives: A golf
Quote:

Thanks for the review.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #146
Aphix
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 2dr 6MT GTI
Thanks for the review! I hope you are happy with your choice. I found the PSS to be a little firm for me for my DD needs, but they are super impressive and I'd love to try them on the tracks or canyons.

Post pics when you can!!
APR Stage II v2.4 | RSR clutch | Sigma Six SS | TWM Big Type-R | Unitronic CAI | GFB DV+ | Golf R IC | Unitronic TBE | Neuspeed Pulley / TOP / TBP | Soundaktor Delete | HPA (75A) | SuperPro ALK / LCA / RCA | BILSTEIN PSS10 | 034 Strut / Trans / Motor Mounts | H&R 26mm (S) / 24mm (S) | Tyrolsport Subframe Collar / Brake Stiffening Kit / Stage II Aluminum Hatch Brace | R8 coil packs | NGK PFR7B | Modshack trim | OZ Alleggerita | Hawks HPS 5.0 | Michelin PSS
Aphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #147
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Here are a few comparison pics. Please note that my rims are 17x9 with 215x45 Michelin SS tires (a slight stretch):

On B8/DG:

On B8/DG rear:

On B14 PSS:

Last edited by Stinger; 12-30-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #148
Aphix
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 2dr 6MT GTI
Car looks awesome!
APR Stage II v2.4 | RSR clutch | Sigma Six SS | TWM Big Type-R | Unitronic CAI | GFB DV+ | Golf R IC | Unitronic TBE | Neuspeed Pulley / TOP / TBP | Soundaktor Delete | HPA (75A) | SuperPro ALK / LCA / RCA | BILSTEIN PSS10 | 034 Strut / Trans / Motor Mounts | H&R 26mm (S) / 24mm (S) | Tyrolsport Subframe Collar / Brake Stiffening Kit / Stage II Aluminum Hatch Brace | R8 coil packs | NGK PFR7B | Modshack trim | OZ Alleggerita | Hawks HPS 5.0 | Michelin PSS
Aphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #149
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphix View Post
Car looks awesome!
Thanks Aphix (she no princess!)..

... and my apologies to Hyde16 for hijacking your thread.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #150
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Thanks Aphix (she no princess!)..

... and my apologies to Hyde16 for hijacking your thread.
No worries at all, I love this discussion.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #151
aj_law
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post

MY CURRENT “AWESOME DAILY DRIVER” SETUP:

Springs
Installed Driver Gear springs with new MK6 GTI replacement strut mounts, bearings, nuts, bolts (~3/4” drop)
Sway Bars
Installed H&R 26mm front and 22mm rear, both set to soft
Front Subframe
Installed TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Collar kit has been installed along with replacing the other subframe bolts with Audi subframe bolt – part number N-908-235-01
Pendelum Mount
Installed HPA red 75 durometer polyurethane lower mount and kept OEM rubber upper mount. Originally had the Autotech metal insert which destroyed my lower mount, installed the HPA mount but realized I still had the OEM rubber upper mount.
Other Factors
New Jersey roads, 4-door MK6 GTI, 30,000 miles with recent Peloquin LSD/USP Steel Shift Forks/Motul Gear 300 fluid installed, Stoptech BBK, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch Disk
Future Plans
APR Stage 3, 19” Hartmann 256 wheels, Continental DW 225/35/19 tires

SUSPENSION UPGRADE OPTIONS:

Shocks & Struts
Option 1 = $657 Bilstein Sport Non-Adjustable Shocks & Struts for lowered vehicles
Option 2 = $717 Bilstein HD Non-Adjustable Shocks & Struts for stock height vehicles
Option 3 = $TBD Ohlins Road & Track
Option 4 = $TBD Koni Sport
Reference thread = http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147240
Sick bumpage of a thread

Questions:

Which strut/shock combos are the ones mentioned in Option 1 and 2? Bilstein currently has the B4 (OEM replacement), B6 (Performance) or B8 (Performance Plus) for sale. I'm assuming that Option 1 is the B6 and Option 2 is the B8. Can anyone confirm?

Also, and I realize that this is somewhat of a loaded question, but...what is a "fair" installation price for struts/shocks and DG springs? Is this the sort of job where you'd go to a local suspension place or would you go to a euro specialty shop? I have a great one that I use for engine work, but not sure if it's worth it to spend the extra cash to go there for this kind of a job. I'm sure their hourly rate is going to be higher for the work versus a place like Firestone or whatever who charges less or maybe even a flat fee for strut/shock/spring replacement.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 155K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...*sigh*): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit. Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip/rear emblem insert // OEM Black emblems // Depo Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete.
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #152
torga
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_law View Post
Also, and I realize that this is somewhat of a loaded question, but...what is a "fair" installation price for struts/shocks and DG springs? Is this the sort of job where you'd go to a local suspension place or would you go to a euro specialty shop? I have a great one that I use for engine work, but not sure if it's worth it to spend the extra cash to go there for this kind of a job. I'm sure their hourly rate is going to be higher for the work versus a place like Firestone or whatever who charges less or maybe even a flat fee for strut/shock/spring replacement.
From my experience with big chain shops like Firestone, they will not install any parts that you bring them; they will only install parts they can source since that will allow them to honor any warranties. I assume they don't want to deal with angry customers after installing bad parts that the customer brought in. You're best off going to an indie shop to install your parts.

But, if you're at least somewhat handy, you should do it yourself. Shock/strut and coilover install is one of the easier things to do on a car.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #153
aj_law
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by torga View Post
From my experience with big chain shops like Firestone, they will not install any parts that you bring them; they will only install parts they can source since that will allow them to honor any warranties. I assume they don't want to deal with angry customers after installing bad parts that the customer brought in. You're best off going to an indie shop to install your parts.

But, if you're at least somewhat handy, you should do it yourself. Shock/strut and coilover install is one of the easier things to do on a car.
Yeah, using chain place like Firestone was a bad example. I really meant more "mom and pop" type garages. I've got a couple in my town that I'd feel comfortable with taking my car there for non-engine work that I don't feel like doing.

The thought briefly crossed my mind to try to do it myself. I just did full rotor/pads job and a wheel bearing myself and thought it was pretty easy.

Struts? Springs?? Sounds involved. Have to see if there are any vids and go from there.

('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 155K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...*sigh*): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit. Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip/rear emblem insert // OEM Black emblems // Depo Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete.
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #154
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_law View Post
Yeah, using chain place like Firestone was a bad example. I really meant more "mom and pop" type garages. I've got a couple in my town that I'd feel comfortable with taking my car there for non-engine work that I don't feel like doing.

The thought briefly crossed my mind to try to do it myself. I just did full rotor/pads job and a wheel bearing myself and thought it was pretty easy.

Struts? Springs?? Sounds involved. Have to see if there are any vids and go from there.

The shock/struts are pretty doable if you do your homework. I've done it a few times and it's not terrible. Hardest part is the drivers side clearance. The other three sides are easy. Maybe do the 3 sides and if it's no prob try the driver's side and if you have an issue just have a shop do the one strut. A shop will charge you 1 hour each corner so it's usually about a $500 install.

It is involved but not hard and there are some good write-ups. There is one for the MK5 Jetta that is excellent and it it the same for the MK6 Golf. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here is the one I used first go around. It's for the TDI but it is the same for all golfs and Jettas (GTI, TDI, 2.5L) both MK5 and MK6. Also, a good trick is to get a 1/4" ratchet extension and file it down on 2 sides for a strut spreader tool.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/s...i-and-audi-a3/

I've done this on a couple of models now and it is the same procedure.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 05-22-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote