GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > Northwest

Old 03-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Moving to Washington (Vancouver area)

Hey everyone,

The girl and i and planning to move to Washington/Portland area in the relative future.

I just had some questions, since were in Florida and dont/never had to deal with winters.

What is needed exactly for tires/safe driving in the winter/snow?

Is anyone semi local to Vancouver area and can tell me how it is out there? We have a friend who lives in the area who we would be moving in with for the time being and then eventually getting our own home hopefully.

Just really concerned with the whole idea of winterizing and what that all entails with tires/wheels?
Ive heard mixed things about just using all season tires and chains/grip devices or getting winter tires mounted on stock wheels and then the iconic winter wheel/tire set up to switch to(what do you guys think are best/practical?) but ive also been on the Washington DOT website and they list all different things about requirements for chains/devices and just got a little confused so hoping some locals/native Washington people can shed some light.

I drive a Vw Gti and she has a Hyundai Veloster (so both front wheel drive passenger vehicles) if that makes a difference in requirements.

Also any tips/tricks you can give for the area/winter/driving etc would be appreciated. Thank You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
don't live in Vancouver WA, but used to live in Vancouver BC. Similar weather. Even snowboarding on Cypress or Whistler steelies and snow's got me where i needed to go. Most roads don't allow use of chains.
Now if you're going up MT Baker.. they usually have alerts and yes pay attention and bring chains!! It's no joke!

I'm sure some one else living in the area will provide more details. WOw.. what a move.. from FLA to a rainy (Nov -Feb).. that damp cold eeesh. BUT.. .love the West coast. Different vibe altogether.

good luck on your move
ps... on those hills... 2nd gear and feathering the throttle with good snow tires is always a better option than 1st gear. It's not torque steer but it's damn near close!! I've never been stuck in snow ever with good tires. Don't cheap out but don't need the most expensive either

Last edited by Blakcard; 03-26-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Blakcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

thanks for the insight. Yeah im not sure about the chains/usage i was just reading about the different advisories from the Washington DOT and was like whoa lol.
It rains a lot here in Florida lol

Average rainfall per year in Florida 59.21 inch average in Washington is 38.15 inches according to google.

Im used to rain just not snow lol
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Anybody else? OR anyone for that matter who drives in snow has experience/dos and donts? Right now were tight on funds but we do plan on buying winter tires when we come up (currently all seasons on the car)

Are all seasons okay to use? Vancouver Washington states average annual snowfall is 2 inches with Portland averaging annually is 3".

Would good all season tires work for those conditions and then the ability to add chains/grip devices be fine? Or should we shell out the money to get actual snow/winter tires.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
uglybastard
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: VW Mk6 GTI 3 pedal in CSG; Jeep WJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
Anybody else? OR anyone for that matter who drives in snow has experience/dos and donts? Right now were tight on funds but we do plan on buying winter tires when we come up (currently all seasons on the car)

Are all seasons okay to use? Vancouver Washington states average annual snowfall is 2 inches with Portland averaging annually is 3".

Would good all season tires work for those conditions and then the ability to add chains/grip devices be fine? Or should we shell out the money to get actual snow/winter tires.
all seasons will cut it in moderate snowfall areas on a mk6 / most FWD cars.

the trick is to drive like a normie and ive extra space for braking. moisture on the road in any form makes taking curves real tough since decreased traction. also assume everything is ice.

R135 ..............VAGCOM in Southern NH
╬╬╣
..246.............. Insta: PSSMKLLR
uglybastard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
CowTownRacer
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI (6 spd)
There really isn't that much snow here. You can live without winter tires if you are staying to the populated areas. If you plan to drive in the mountains during the winters, I would suggest investing in a good set of steelies and winter tires. I will probably have a set FS in the coming months, since I'm retiring the GTI from winter driving and buying a truck to deal with my winter driving needs.

But 600-700 is all you need for a new set of steelies and winter tires and its worth every penny if you're actually driving in winter conditions (Calgary, Canada native originally).
CowTownRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
OmniGLH
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
Average rainfall per year in Florida 59.21 inch average in Washington is 38.15 inches according to google.
I lived in Seattle for 3 years.

The difference between those two numbers is HOW it comes down.

FL gets their total rainfall in heavy, sharp, bursts. Deluge, storm, buckets of rain... then it goes away and you get sunshine.

The PNW you get days upon days of "mist".

The weird thing is - it can be "raining" by you, and you can literally go 2-3 blocks, and have a "sunburst" where it's sunny and nice.

The very nice thing is that the summers are generally very nice. One summer my friend had an Audi TT and the top stayed down for almost 90 consecutive days.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
CowTownRacer
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI (6 spd)
Summers here are the best in the US IMO.

It also hasn't rained here at all this spring (going to be lots of fires this summer).
CowTownRacer is offline   Reply With Quote