GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Bushido
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 14' CSG GTI Wolfburg Edition 6MT
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Maine
Posts: 17
ECS Tuning Stage 2 Clutch Kit

I'm anticipating a clutch upgrade in the near future once my clutch start going, and I see that ECS Tuning has a Stage 2 Clutch kit out now. The price point seems almost too good to be true. Anyone have experience with these yet? Or can anyone give their 2 cents on if this seems like a good option given the specs they are putting out there? It looks very similar to a BFI, except the pressure plate is 1,685 lbs instead of 2,500 lbs.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...003465ecs01kt/
__________________
MK6 CSG GTI Wolfsburg Edition 6MT | APR Stage 1 ECU | APR Stage 1 & 2 Carbonio Intake | APR Catback Exhaust | APR Boost Tap & Boost Gauge | ECS Turbo Outlet Pipe | ECS Intake Pipe | GFB DV+ | R8 Coil Packs | H&R Sport Springs
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
torga
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
torga's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 678
Huh. BFI's Stage 1 is 1900lb and is only rated to hold 290lb-ft, while their Stage 2 2500lb plate holds 400lb-ft.
I wonder how ECS is managing to hold 400 with a 1685lb plate. The numbers don't really add up. Does anyone know what Southbend's Stage 2 plate is rated for? Southbend and BFI are the two kits I see recommended most around here.
__________________
Build Thread; Slowly But Surely
torga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
Allchokedup
Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2011 ko4
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 322
Southbend daily is rated "conservatively "@ 400ftlbs.
I run one with apr ko4 for about 10k miles now holding up great
__________________
2011 2 door, ko4,apr 2+,fmic,custom intake(bootleg) redtops, VMR810 198.5
PS4s,some other stuff..
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
torga
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
torga's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allchokedup View Post
Southbend daily is rated "conservatively "@ 400ftlbs.
I run one with apr ko4 for about 10k miles now holding up great
I meant the pressure plate. The only numbers Southbend publishes are the 400lb-ft rating and a 12,000rpm burst point.
__________________
Build Thread; Slowly But Surely
torga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Allchokedup
Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2011 ko4
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by torga View Post
I meant the pressure plate. The only numbers Southbend publishes are the 400lb-ft rating and a 12,000rpm burst point.
Sorry, skipped that part! I would assume surface area and type of material used. I just had mine apart and the disk was in great shape.
__________________
2011 2 door, ko4,apr 2+,fmic,custom intake(bootleg) redtops, VMR810 198.5
PS4s,some other stuff..
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
Bushido
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 14' CSG GTI Wolfburg Edition 6MT
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Maine
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by torga View Post
Huh. BFI's Stage 1 is 1900lb and is only rated to hold 290lb-ft, while their Stage 2 2500lb plate holds 400lb-ft.
I wonder how ECS is managing to hold 400 with a 1685lb plate. The numbers don't really add up. Does anyone know what Southbend's Stage 2 plate is rated for? Southbend and BFI are the two kits I see recommended most around here.

If the pressure plate was too much on the light side, what would the consequences of that be? clutch slip and low lifespan?
__________________
MK6 CSG GTI Wolfsburg Edition 6MT | APR Stage 1 ECU | APR Stage 1 & 2 Carbonio Intake | APR Catback Exhaust | APR Boost Tap & Boost Gauge | ECS Turbo Outlet Pipe | ECS Intake Pipe | GFB DV+ | R8 Coil Packs | H&R Sport Springs
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
ECS Tuning
Formula 3000 Driver
 
ECS Tuning's Avatar
 
Drives: Modified ones
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wadsworth, OH
Posts: 3,881
Our disc is an organic woven friction face, thanks to our material choice were able to use a lower clamping load. This clutch kit is installed in our MK7 GTI, she put down 370 ft/lbs to the wheels (so using meh math ~425 at the crank). I tried to make it slip and wasn't successful, even after using the car as a learning car for a new stick driver (riding the fire out of the clutch), jumping in it's still solid. Stack on top of that the road trip from ECS to EuEx and a lot of fun back roads, going out to the car today still zero sign of slip.

-James
__________________

ECS Tuning your #1 source for all things German automotive
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
ECS Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Bushido
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 14' CSG GTI Wolfburg Edition 6MT
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Maine
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning View Post
Our disc is an organic woven friction face, thanks to our material choice were able to use a lower clamping load. This clutch kit is installed in our MK7 GTI, she put down 370 ft/lbs to the wheels (so using meh math ~425 at the crank). I tried to make it slip and wasn't successful, even after using the car as a learning car for a new stick driver (riding the fire out of the clutch), jumping in it's still solid. Stack on top of that the road trip from ECS to EuEx and a lot of fun back roads, going out to the car today still zero sign of slip.



-James
James, great to hear from you guys directly! I appreciate the background on the product and usage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
__________________
MK6 CSG GTI Wolfsburg Edition 6MT | APR Stage 1 ECU | APR Stage 1 & 2 Carbonio Intake | APR Catback Exhaust | APR Boost Tap & Boost Gauge | ECS Turbo Outlet Pipe | ECS Intake Pipe | GFB DV+ | R8 Coil Packs | H&R Sport Springs
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
torga
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
torga's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning View Post
Our disc is an organic woven friction face, thanks to our material choice were able to use a lower clamping load. This clutch kit is installed in our MK7 GTI, she put down 370 ft/lbs to the wheels (so using meh math ~425 at the crank). I tried to make it slip and wasn't successful, even after using the car as a learning car for a new stick driver (riding the fire out of the clutch), jumping in it's still solid. Stack on top of that the road trip from ECS to EuEx and a lot of fun back roads, going out to the car today still zero sign of slip.



-James
Does the included Luk TOB match the plastic OE spec or the revised, metal OE spec?
__________________
Build Thread; Slowly But Surely
torga is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.