GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 11-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Anyone have a wiring diagram for this OEM USB?

Im trying to retrofit this USB in as a charger (does not need to do media). It has a 4 pin cable and im wondering if anyone has any information on wiring this thing.

Here is what I have

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
thegave
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf R
Splice into cigarette lighter/12v socket.

You can also get "the other half" of the kit from Double Apex.
thegave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

im not concerned about how to connect it, just trying to figure out what the 4 wires go to. They are Black, Red, Yellow, and White. Typically this would denote a ground, +12v constant, and +12v ignition but im not sure why this would need constant power unless i wanted it to run with the car off (i dont).

I also need to know if i need a resister or step down transformer to achieve a 5v charging.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
nadams5755
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 cw gti
Send a message via AIM to nadams5755
4 pins of USB are 5v+, ground, send and receive. Red and black should be +/- respectively. therefore you'll need a stepdown 12v->5v

i'm looking at the usb passthrough(1), wiring a cigarette lighter parallel to the factory console unit, and stuffing it under the center console. combined with an anker 2.1a autosense charger(2). plug the passthrough into the anker charger.

i have apple devices, wife has android devices, this is to help solve all our car charging problems. none of the newer devices can operate streaming music, GPS, and keeping the screen awake at the same time while charging from 0.5a.

(apple and android use two different high-current charging signals, most chargers support one type but not both. therefore the charger will drop down to 0.5a charging for the "other" type. anker's power-iq chargers autodetect and give up to 2.1a per device)

*1 http://www.doubleapex.co/collections...sthrough_usb01
*2 http://www.amazon.com/Charger-PowerI.../dp/B00D82O68Y
Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Thanks! I got it all figured out. Not only do the outer pins need 5v and ground, but one of the inside pins also needed a connection for a 2.x v connection. This was the only way to get the system to actually charge.

For $10 in parts and about 45 min in time (most of it was troubleshooting) I just created the exact same thing that Double Apex sells for $70
Old 11-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

This is what i used

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-USB-Swit...b4be74&vxp=mtr

only $5 and is identical to the DoubleApex, only you have to solder the wires yourself since it does not have a USB male end.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
nadams5755
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 cw gti
Send a message via AIM to nadams5755
i suppose i could just solder the $5 part directly to the anker charger.

i should poke around more and see if there's a 'USB' mounting block which fits in the non-end block, where all corners are squared (instead of the two rounded).

then, install two USB ports in the front.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
i suppose i could just solder the $5 part directly to the anker charger.

i should poke around more and see if there's a 'USB' mounting block which fits in the non-end block, where all corners are squared (instead of the two rounded).

then, install two USB ports in the front.
I've looked everywhere and it seems as though no one makes one. Wouldn't be impossible to make your own.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
akrazyassho
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2004 1.8T, 2011 2.0T DSG
What did you use for stepping down to 5v and 2v? This seems like a great alternative to the more expensive one.
akrazyassho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
engineered2win
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Subaru WRX, Multistrada DVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrazyassho View Post
What did you use for stepping down to 5v and 2v? This seems like a great alternative to the more expensive one.
You can buy a USB charger for a cigarette lighter for a couple bucks.
engineered2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #11
akrazyassho
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineered2win View Post

I have one and it works great but I like this solution a lot better. The part he bought looks like it plugs into the OEM unit, I just need to know what did he use to reg. the voltage and which wires correspond to what? If he has a simple solution I wouldn't mind doing it. I already ordered the product.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Just like Engineered2win suggested, I used a cheap iphone cigarette lighter charger. I took it apart to reduce its size and plugged a USB cable into it, I then cut the USB on the other end and used those bare wires to connect to wire up to the OEM piece. I then wired up the cig lighter to a 12v supply and Done.

I looked at 12v -> 5v step down transformers but they all had an amperage rating of 3a and I did not want to supply too much current to the iphone.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Old 12-03-2014, 02:31 AM   #14
akrazyassho
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineered2win View Post
I apologize for my earlier response, it makes sense to take apart one now. I thought you were telling me just to buy a normal usb charger and live w/ it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Audience View Post
Just like Engineered2win suggested, I used a cheap iphone cigarette lighter charger. I took it apart to reduce its size and plugged a USB cable into it, I then cut the USB on the other end and used those bare wires to connect to wire up to the OEM piece. I then wired up the cig lighter to a 12v supply and Done.

I looked at 12v -> 5v step down transformers but they all had an amperage rating of 3a and I did not want to supply too much current to the iphone.

Makes sense! I have a few usb car chargers that I've kept over the years!