GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 05-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #29
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
gen 3 tsi is very different from the gen 1 and the turbos are different. until you begin upgrading the turbos to standard garrets/precision models, they will always have the advantage with all things being even. they are also lighter so with the same power they are (should be) faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker369 View Post
I heard there was a local guy who blew his turbo on his stage 2 mk7.
also, this is a known problem. they blow on stock cars too. not necessarily the tune's fault, thought it probably sped up the process. that's the type of risk you take buying a vehicle with the 1st year of a brand new turbo design.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #30
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injen1us View Post
You cannot correlate trap speeds and 1/4 mile times with certain power numbers... it doesnt work like that at all. Even on the same platform it is sketchy because enough attention doesnt go into what track, time of day, weather conditions, and tires being used
THIS. Trap speed is a start and good "tool" to use comparing cars, but not the end all be all. I've trapped as high as 114 on a 13.2 pass on 100 octane on V2. I've trapped 111-112 on 93 octane while still not breaking into the 12's. Got drag radials, lowered 60' times, ran a 12.8 at 108mph. Granted, this will all be different once I make it to the track on the newest APR K04 file, as this was all on V2.

But once again, trap speed can differ GREATLY depending on how "quick" of a pass you make. More spin=slower 60'=slower ET=Faster trap. Better launch=lower 60'=lower ET=slower trap.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #31
milenkoj77
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives:
My friend has a mk6 apr stg 2+ and I have an mk7 apr stg 1 both cars 6sp manual and 4 door. We did some pulls when i was stock and he was stage 1+ and he would pull away everytime. Once I went stage 1 apr and he went stg 2 apr it was a totally different story. When we did some pulls on the hwy the car lengths between us increased by the second.

The mk6 stg2 doesn't come close to a Mk7 stg 1.

Also doing some lower speed pulls where the torque really come into play it's even more evident (if I could get the power to the ground)

Mk6 stg2 gti = 300tq claimed
Mk7 stg 1 gti = 38tq claimed

I'll see if I can get some videos of us doing that again but with the weather right now it might have to wait.
milenkoj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #32
milenkoj77
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by milenkoj77 View Post
My friend has a mk6 apr stg 2+ and I have an mk7 apr stg 1 both cars 6sp manual and 4 door. We did some pulls when i was stock and he was stage 1+ and he would pull away everytime. Once I went stage 1 apr and he went stg 2 apr it was a totally different story. When we did some pulls on the hwy the car lengths between us increased by the second.

Also doing some lower speed pulls where the torque really come into play it's even more evident (if I could get the power to the ground)

I'll see if I can get some videos of us doing that again but with the weather right now it might have to wait.
I forgot to mention both of us running 94 tune
milenkoj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #33
MelowGTI
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by milenkoj77 View Post

stage 2+ or stage 2??? wrote two different things
F23T/Revo Stage 3/ CTS Turbo Intake System, ARM MOTORSPORTS FMIC, SPM Track Turbo back w/ 200 cell cat / SPM Lowering Springs/Cooper Zeon RS3-A / VMR 710s / LED Dark Cherry Tails/ New South Boost Guage/ R8 Coilpacks / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs/ Turbo Smart MBC.
MelowGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #34
Goingnowherefast
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 16 GTI S 6MT, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelowGTI View Post
stage 2+ or stage 2??? wrote two different things
He used 300tq which is what APR says for Stage 2 so I'm guessing that's what he meant.

I'll try to get a pull in the spring time with my brother APR stage 1 MK6 against my JB1 MK7, but honestly it's not going to be much of a race. The JB1 MK7 is significantly faster. The longer gearing helps loads with traction and speed in general too

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #35
MelowGTI
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
He used 300tq which is what APR says for Stage 2 so I'm guessing that's what he meant.

I'll try to get a pull in the spring time with my brother APR stage 1 MK6 against my JB1 MK7, but honestly it's not going to be much of a race. The JB1 MK7 is significantly faster. The longer gearing helps loads with traction and speed in general too
maybe, it will sadden me if stage 2 mk6 wont beat mk7 stage 1
F23T/Revo Stage 3/ CTS Turbo Intake System, ARM MOTORSPORTS FMIC, SPM Track Turbo back w/ 200 cell cat / SPM Lowering Springs/Cooper Zeon RS3-A / VMR 710s / LED Dark Cherry Tails/ New South Boost Guage/ R8 Coilpacks / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs/ Turbo Smart MBC.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #36
Goingnowherefast

Quote:
maybe, it will sadden me if stage 2 mk6 wont beat mk7 stage 1
I'd be very, very surprised if a stage 2 Mk6 could pull a Stage 1 MK7 to be perfectly honest. There is a big difference between mine and my brothers car already and I don't even have a full tune.

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #37
MelowGTI
Autocross Champion

Quote:
I'd be very, very surprised if a stage 2 Mk6 could pull a Stage 1 MK7 to be perfectly honest. There is a big difference between mine and my brothers car already and I don't even have a full tune.
What are your brothers exact mods? wish you were near me, i'd run ya
Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #38
Goingnowherefast

Quote:
What are your brothers exact mods? wish you were near me, i'd run ya
APR Stage 1, Cat-back. He should be Stage 2 fairly soon. Yeah haha, It would have to be down where you are. It's about 20 degrees and blizzarding here.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #39
thatspsychotic
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
I'm pretty surprised anyone thought a MK6 with stock turbo stage 2 with intake, exhaust, intercooler, would be even close to stage 1 MK7. Not the same engine, not the same turbo.

MK7 has variable valve lift which is one reason it can spool the turbo so early and make loads of torque down low.

MK7 has a larger turbo than MK6, by quite a bit on the turbine side especially:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84398

Our MK6s are just not in the same league as the MK7. At least we're not neutered like the latest gen GLI.

Those dying turbos though, I'd be a little more nervous running a tune on the MK7 than the MK6 for sure.
APR Stage 2 v2.4, Carbonio, Cast Downpipe | PTP Turbo Blanket | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Stage 1 Mounts | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18

Future: Something other than APR tune
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #40
Goingnowherefast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspsychotic View Post
I'm pretty surprised anyone thought a MK6 with stock turbo stage 2 with intake, exhaust, intercooler, would be even close to stage 1 MK7. Not the same engine, not the same turbo.

MK7 has variable valve lift which is one reason it can spool the turbo so early and make loads of torque down low.

MK7 has a larger turbo than MK6, by quite a bit on the turbine side especially:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84398

Our MK6s are just not in the same league as the MK7. At least we're not neutered like the latest gen GLI.

Those dying turbos though, I'd be a little more nervous running a tune on the MK7 than the MK6 for sure.
Hahahah I'm gonna start putting in my sig "THE MK7 TURBOS HAVE BEEN FIXED".

They fixed them about a half a year ago. They are now just as reliable as the old K03's. I agree with you completely. I doubt a full-bolt on Stage 2 MK6 could keep up with just a Stage 1 MK7. It's down to the new engine, increased turbo size, reduced weight, and longer gears.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:38 AM   #41
MelowGTI
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Hahahah I'm gonna start putting in my sig "THE MK7 TURBOS HAVE BEEN FIXED".

They fixed them about a half a year ago. They are now just as reliable as the old K03's. I agree with you completely. I doubt a full-bolt on Stage 2 MK6 could keep up with just a Stage 1 MK7. It's down to the new engine, increased turbo size, reduced weight, and longer gears.
Lets see a video!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:44 AM   #42
DarienMidnight
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 vw gti 4dr autobahn
strangely i run a apr stage 2 mk6 gti with DSG and my friend has a stock mk7 gti manual. the race was MUCH closer than i anticipated. really wondering if my car is just getting weak

APR stage 2 / r8 coils / APR stage 1&2 intake / AWE CBE/ APR catted DP so basically i have and APE TBE ( FMOIG: YoungRios_ )
DarienMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote