GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #29
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW GTI DSG

Chris helping me install my Neuspeed Turbo Outlet Pipe.
Luckily I was in the area and he was free.

My impressions of the pipe- i purchased it used from Rotaryknight on this forum for $150 and i feel like it was totally worth it. Car feels like it's more eager to go fast, just like when i upgraded the intake the car seemed to run smoother. The pipe also reduces some turbo lag so acceleration is definitely faster. All in all i'd say it is a worthwhile mod if found for a good price.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 AM   #30
Trnado_2.5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A3 Quattro
Hey Simon see you got my sway bar on haha . How are you likeing it paired with the rear? What settings are you at?
Trnado_2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #31
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

Hey Artur!

yes i am loving the front sway!

i'm on soft setting for both front and rear

i think the car feels much more stable at high speeds with the front sway bar. 50-60mph turns on freeway on/off ramps is much steadier with the fsb and it makes the whole front end of the car seem more stable and planted on the ground.

however, i feel the trade off is in lower speed corner such as right hand turns at streetlight intersections. It seems as if the car could cut corners sharper and faster with use of slight oversteer at speeds below 45mph. However with the fsb it seems
as though the car has more resistance to a very sharp turn and requires more effort to make it change direction however because of the increased resistance to turn, it seems as though i can gas the car harder and corner at higher speeds however i am not skilled enough to know for sure how the car will react and i do not want to take too many risks on the street with traffic.

the car sure seems more stable and faster in the canyons with the front bar.
i feel like coilovers or dg springs should be my next step
Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #32
Jcap287
FIA GT Champion

Drives: candy white gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcarsmell View Post
Hey Artur!

yes i am loving the front sway!

i'm on soft setting for both front and rear

i think the car feels much more stable at high speeds with the front sway bar. 50-60mph turns on freeway on/off ramps is much steadier with the fsb and it makes the whole front end of the car seem more stable and planted on the ground.

however, i feel the trade off is in lower speed corner such as right hand turns at streetlight intersections. It seems as if the car could cut corners sharper and faster with use of slight oversteer at speeds below 45mph. However with the fsb it seems
as though the car has more resistance to a very sharp turn and requires more effort to make it change direction however because of the increased resistance to turn, it seems as though i can gas the car harder and corner at higher speeds however i am not skilled enough to know for sure how the car will react and i do not want to take too many risks on the street with traffic.

the car sure seems more stable and faster in the canyons with the front bar.
i feel like coilovers or dg springs should be my next step

I thought the front was suppose to be larger than the rear??
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #33
Trnado_2.5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A3 Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcap287 View Post
I thought the front was suppose to be larger than the rear??
That is mostly on rwd cars that have a better weight distribution. The more equal front to back weight distribution makes it easier to shift weight and make the rear slide so, they put a bigger front bar to combat that.
Trnado_2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #34
Jcap287
FIA GT Champion

Drives: candy white gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnado_2.5 View Post
That is mostly on rwd cars that have a better weight distribution. The more equal front to back weight distribution makes it easier to shift weight and make the rear slide so, they put a bigger front bar to combat that.
Ahh thanks for clearing that up
Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
Jaxon
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 Audi A3 TDI
Just found your thread and thanks for the pricing detail on the car/mods. I've been pouring through the site for way too long in anticipation of a GTI purchase and this is really helpful. Great pics too. I like the subtlety of your build. Keep it up and I'll keep an eye on it.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #36
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

Update!

Recently had a deep chip on one of my wheels from an unavoidable rock during a canyon run. It was repaired for $60 by Son Tran.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/onsite-wheel...-westminster-3

I also purchased some DG lowering springs with 10,000 miles on them for $150.

One of the members on OC VW is a mechanic named David and he installed my springs for $80 and I couldn't be happier.

He also switched both my front and rear sway bars from SOFT setting to HARD and the car is overall is more stiff now. Comfort has been SLIGHTLY decreased compared to when I had stock suspension but after a week it is much less noticeable and much more bearable.

3 Wheeling while leaving David's driveway for a test ride after the spring install

I got my springs installed on Saturday David told me I should go to get an alignment the following week if I wasn't too busy. I called my tire shop for a recommendation for an alignment shop. They directed me to A1 Automotive Service for my alignment.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/a1-automotiv...tive%20Service

When I pulled into the lot, there was a Lotus Exige on the machine that my car was about to go on. Owner of the Lotus then told me all the guys on the Lotus forums bring their cars to A1 for their alignments. Makes me feel good that this shop is used to dealing with super handling sports cars (:

The alignment cost me $85.00 cash and here is the spec sheet they gave me.

Here are some comparison pics of my car before and after installing my DG lowering springs:

Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #37
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

WARNING: You're about to see many pictures of the same thing that are taken at slightly different angles.....Just 'cause this is MY thread and i LOVE the way my car looks right now

I really need to stop parking so close, thankfully i can still clear SOME parking blocks but I seriously park wayy farther back now. I was just lucky this one was not that tall....

Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #38
ruan9n
Oval Newbie

Drives: Golf 6 GTI
Nice work! Some Golf R tails and sideskirts and your golden! Plan on getting a TBE?
CSG 6mt GTI, Revo stage 2, APR carbonio stage 1 & 2, 3" revo decat dp, revo dogbone insert, S3 cooler, S3 discharge pipe, BSH throttlebody pipe, H&R sport springs, NGK iridiums+R8 coils, Golf R tails & headlights , stage2 clutch. 252hp 425nm
ruan9n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #39
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruan9n View Post
Nice work! Some Golf R tails and sideskirts and your golden! Plan on getting a TBE?

Fuck yea i could definitely use some R tails and the R sideskirts.

I don't know if i really want to get a TBE 'cause if i do then I'm going to need an intercooler as well since the temps get so hot in socal during the summer..

I know for sure I want some R tails and Sideskirts but i'm worried about fitment and whatnot :/
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #40
JustinKYC.
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CW 4dr MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcarsmell View Post
Random Pictures I like

That Sexy Gloss Black....

Only for $150???? wtffff

APR Stage 1/Koni Coilovers/18x8.5 Miro 111 ET45/R Tails/ED35 Front Bumper/Ed's Golf R Rep Side Skirts/LEDs (Interior, Side Markers, Parking Lights, License Plate)/Euroswitch
Ma Build Thread
JustinKYC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKYC. View Post
Only for $150???? wtffff
Yea! Great deal right for color matched bumper insert and gloss black lower grill + fog housing! I was recommended by a friend and after calling 10 different shops on yelp i realized $150 was the cheapest price by far. Everyone else wanted $200 just for painting the bumper insert :O

Anyways, I modeled some wheels for Axis this week and they took a couple snapshots of my car that I wanted to share:

Reflection Picture

I'm really satisfied with my drop on DG springs. I have just ENOUGH clearance to make it out of my own steep driveway...

Old 07-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #42
DasAuto1295
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: DBP '11 6MT 2dr
Car is lookin' good! I need that plate..
Instagram @bcrandeis
DasAuto1295 is offline   Reply With Quote