GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 10-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #141
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
I will try not to disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post
Old 10-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #142
Tony48

Big update is still in the works but in the meantime I'll address my wheel issues:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
Trying to figure out how much it'll cost to get the crack welded up. I have no experience with this but have made a phone call to one reputable wheel repair place I know. While I'm at it I figure I might as well powder coat the wheels and go for 4 new tires. Trying to figure out if it's worth going through all this for a set of wheels that has a few small rash spots and at least 1 tiny bend (all from previous owner). Guess I'll start researching wheel repair. Ugh.

I had the crack welded up, all 4 wheels straightened, and all tires removed. For anyone in the DMV area, TAS Machine Co. in Laurel has earned all of my future wheel/tire related business. They have a professional, organized shop and Brett is a straight-forward dude. I always look forward to stopping by the shop to chat with him and his crew.

I need to find a weekend to get the wheels stripped of paint so I can start sanding and blasting in preparation for powder coat. On the plus side I ordered some powder coat samples (for the wheels and a few other projects) and they're getting me excited to have these wheels finished! Wheels will eventually go back to TAS to have new tires mounted and balanced.

Last edited by Tony48; 10-23-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Tony48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:55 AM   #143
BringerOdeath
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Candy White
Quote:
Big update is still in the works but in the meantime I'll address my wheel issues:

I had the crack welded up, all 4 wheels straightened, and all tires removed. For anyone in the DMV area, TAS Machine Co. in Laurel has earned all of my future wheel/tire related business. They have a professional, organized shop and Brett is a straight-forward dude. I always look forward to stopping by the shop to chat with him and his crew.

I need to find a weekend to get the wheels stripped of paint so I can start sanding and blasting in preparation for powder coat. On the plus side I ordered some powder coat samples (for the wheels and a few other projects) and they're getting me excited to have these wheels finished! Wheels will eventually go back to TAS to have new tires mounted and balanced.

Man, can't wait to see what color you choose! I am doing something big on my car tomorrow, ddc coilovers!
K04 G.I.A.C. Tuned, Godspeed FMIC V2.0, R8 red Coilpacks, Volant Intake, Fastbits DV+,42 Draft designs DP-high flow cat, Fluidampr, 034 motorsports street engine/tranny mounts, Vibratech Subframe insert, 034 motosports aspherical dogbone, 034 stainless subframe collar kit, IE Africa plate, AWE S3 style Charge /discharge pipes, Koni Coilovers, TSW Donington wheels, Golf R side skirts, TTRS BBK, Dual caliper Cayenne rear BBK
BringerOdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #144
Tony48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringerOdeath View Post
Man, can't wait to see what color you choose! I am doing something big on my car tomorrow, ddc coilovers!
Wow that's awesome. I haven't seen anyone with an electronic damping system on a MK6...sounds like you will be in very exclusive company.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #145
BringerOdeath
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Wow that's awesome. I haven't seen anyone with an electronic damping system on a MK6...sounds like you will be in very exclusive company.
In Europe there was an option for DCC in the mk6 Golf R and highline jetta. In the US, there was no DCC option. I got the whole kit for $1500, brand new. Normally I think it's $3100 for the kit with the ecu. They still have one kit for the mk5, which should fit the mk6 for 1400, I think.
K04 G.I.A.C. Tuned, Godspeed FMIC V2.0, R8 red Coilpacks, Volant Intake, Fastbits DV+,42 Draft designs DP-high flow cat, Fluidampr, 034 motorsports street engine/tranny mounts, Vibratech Subframe insert, 034 motosports aspherical dogbone, 034 stainless subframe collar kit, IE Africa plate, AWE S3 style Charge /discharge pipes, Koni Coilovers, TSW Donington wheels, Golf R side skirts, TTRS BBK, Dual caliper Cayenne rear BBK
Old 11-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #146
mapatni

Thanks for this. It's been key to my planning. I'm planning to tackle this one shortly. Just wondering did you find the torque spec for the balance shaft tensioner as well. Since I'm in there I'm just going to replace everything top to bottom. Just for peace of mind.
mapatni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #147
Tony48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapatni View Post
Thanks for this. It's been key to my planning. I'm planning to tackle this one shortly. Just wondering did you find the torque spec for the balance shaft tensioner as well. Since I'm in there I'm just going to replace everything top to bottom. Just for peace of mind.
Glad I can be of help. The balance shaft chain tensioner torque is listed on page 47 of the "Quick Reference Specification Book" PDF that is referenced in the timing chain post in this build thread. Here's a screenshot for reference. Torque is 85Nm (in case picture doesn't show up or eventually breaks). Make sure you have a standard depth 27mm socket.

If you have any other questions let me know. I'd be glad to help you out.

Balance Shaft Chain Tensioner Torque Spec by Tony G, on Flickr
Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #148
Tony48

Well, here's the update on my big update

I ordered a CTS K04 a few weeks ago and had it shipped straight to Ruben at SoCalPorting for a port/polish and ceramic coat. Just received the K04 and it's looking mighty fine. I'm following the trail blazed by HYDE16 in his K04 Porting thread. Unfortunately it will be a minimum of a few weeks until I can install this thing as I'm waiting on a base map from Stratified...yes, I also decided to ditch APR and go with a Cobb Accessport and Stratified ProTune. After speaking with Jared and Alex at Stratified I'm excited to begin the tuning process! The K04, Accessport, Turbo outlet pipe, and all gaskets/hardware will stay boxed up in the garage for the time being.

So, I'm going K04 at 125k+ miles!
K04 flickr album is here. I'll be adding pics as things progress.

Last edited by Tony48; 11-12-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Tony48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #149
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Nice update man! Congrats on the move to K04. Its such a huge improvement in power over stages I or II, especially with all the highways around MD.

I think APRs K04 tune is pretty solid for what it is. Still puts a smile on my face. Would be cool to maybe meet up sometime and feel how different the Stratified tune is. Maybe some day I'll make the jump too. Would be cool to datalog and such with the Cobb accessport.
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #150
Tony48

Quote:
Nice update man! Congrats on the move to K04. Its such a huge improvement in power over stages I or II, especially with all the highways around MD.

I think APRs K04 tune is pretty solid for what it is. Still puts a smile on my face. Would be cool to maybe meet up sometime and feel how different the Stratified tune is. Maybe some day I'll make the jump too. Would be cool to datalog and such with the Cobb accessport.
I really wanted the Accessport for the flexibility in being able to switch between tunes for emissions purposes. I don't expect I'll have any really significant power gains over an APR K04 tune. Plus it's cool to try out an e-tune. Stratified also told me they think they'll be able to code off the G611 radiator identification sensor so that's pretty appealing to me.

Would certainly be interested in comparing with your car!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #151
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Quote:
I really wanted the Accessport for the flexibility in being able to switch between tunes for emissions purposes. I don't expect I'll have any really significant power gains over an APR K04 tune. Plus it's cool to try out an e-tune. Stratified also told me they think they'll be able to code off the G611 radiator identification sensor so that's pretty appealing to me.

Would certainly be interested in comparing with your car!
As with other APR tunes you can still switch between tunes via the cruise control stalk or the APR app if you have an iPhone.

Either way, will be cool to have a custom tune thats different then what everyone else is running.
APR K04 / meth injection / custom intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / FMIC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 AM   #152
BringerOdeath
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Well, here's the update on my big update

I ordered a CTS K04 a few weeks ago and had it shipped straight to Ruben at SoCalPorting for a port/polish and ceramic coat. Just received the K04 and it's looking mighty fine. I'm following the trail blazed by HYDE16 in his K04 Porting thread. Unfortunately it will be a minimum of a few weeks until I can install this thing as I'm waiting on a base map from Stratified...yes, I also decided to ditch APR and go with a Cobb Accessport and Stratified ProTune. After speaking with Jared and Alex at Stratified I'm excited to begin the tuning process! The K04, Accessport, Turbo outlet pipe, and all gaskets/hardware will stay boxed up in the garage for the time being.

So, I'm going K04 at 125k+ miles!
K04 flickr album is here. I'll be adding pics as things progress.

Man! I wish I had my k04 cermaic coated and ported.... :P That looks awesome and it's never too late for k04 . I am up to 78k on my car which isn't too bad for 7 years of being a daily driver
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #153
Tony48

Quote:
As with other APR tunes you can still switch between tunes via the cruise control stalk or the APR app if you have an iPhone.

Either way, will be cool to have a custom tune thats different then what everyone else is running.
I know it's possible to switch between tunes but I like the idea of having a tune that can be modified if I decide to go direct port WMI or something in the future. An APR tune would have done what I need but I like the future proofing of the AP and an e-tune. More than anything I wanted to try something new!

I've also read many mixed reviews of the APR K04 tune. Many people are super happy with it and have put down great numbers. Some others say it's peaky and not great for daily driving, not much power down low, etc. I'm sure it comes down to what version of the tune you have and many other factors. Working with Stratified means I can tell them I want a nice, smooth powerband even if it doesn't make the highest peak numbers. We'll see if my hopes and dreams for this tune are actually fulfilled and the e-tuning process is worth it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringerOdeath View Post
Man! I wish I had my k04 cermaic coated and ported.... :P That looks awesome and it's never too late for k04 . I am up to 78k on my car which isn't too bad for 7 years of being a daily driver
I figured that this will be my last turbo on this car so I might as well squeeze what I can out of it. Plus it's easier/cheaper to get it ported now as opposed to after it's been installed.