GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 03-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
zef
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
ASTRID - Track Rat Build

Growing up motorsports has always been in my blood, and it started with watching my older brother race his Evo 8 in local autocross/CART (Connecticut Autocross & Rally Team) events and track days. Once I got my license I got right into it, even though I started out with just an old civic, it was a great car for building foundational driving skills.

Fast forward about 5 years--I graduated college, moved into my own place, and got a decent job that could fund a car project, so in December of '16 I picked up my MK6. It came as just a base 2 door with a DSG and moon roof. I chose the GTI for the same reason that many do - it's easily one of the best dual purpose sports cars you can buy under 15k. I went with the MK6 over the 7 because the MK7 wasn't that much better that it justified spending an extra 10-12k (also note at that time there wasn't a single MK7 that I could find under 23-24k because they were still so new).

My ultimate goal with this car is to participate in the Brock Yates One Lap of America event - but that won't be at least until 2019/2020. This car is still my daily driver so some level of comfort has to be maintained.

The focal point of this car since I got it has been the suspension and drivetrain in order to accomplish one thing: to eliminate or minimize the weaknesses of FWD. As evidenced by the new Civic Type R (and ClubSport S), a properly setup FWD car can be a serious contender. I have experimented with multiple suspension setups that I will be happy to share with you all. Since this build has been in progress for over a year, I will catch you all up on what's been done so far and what the plans are going forward for the rest of the year.

Note that this build thread is going to be more of an "informative" style where I comment on some of the parts that I own, what I like and don't like, and various revisions and tweaks that I have made over the past year and a half. Enjoy reading! And don't worry, there are plenty of photos, just keep scrolling!

Feel free to follow me on Instagram!
@jg_gti

Engine Modifications:
Port & Polished/Cerakoted HPA KO4 w/ Forge Wastegate Actuator (yellow spring) & PTP Turbo Blanket
APR v3.1 KO4 Software
APR Intake (stage 1 & 2, updated version)
APR Oil Accumulator/Oil Protection System

APR Boost Tap
Cobb TBE Exhaust
ECS Tuning Catch Can (w/ Earl's Speed Flex/Speed Seal -10AN fittings/hose)
R8 Coils w/ BKR8EIX's @ 0.026
Fluidampr Pulley
Neuspeed TOP/Throttle Pipe
Wortec Oil Pan
Integrated Engineering FDS Intercooler
Go Fast Bits DV+ (main spring removed)
Integrated Engineering Intake Manifold (removed as of 10/1/18)
034 Catch Can (v.1) (removed as of 4/10/18)
Grams Performance 70mm Throttle Body (removed as of 4/28/18)
Integrated Engineering Intake (removed as of 3/21/18)
Stratified Tuned on 93 (E30 coming soon) (removed as of 10/1/18)
Eurodyne Software, currently on Stage 2 base map (removed as of 3/21/18)
034 Catch Can (v.1) (removed as of 4/10/18)

Drivetrain Modifications:
WaveTrac Limited Slip Differential
APR TCU Software
TyrolSport Deadset Collars (Front & Rear)
034 Street Density Motor & Transmission mounts
034 Pendulum Mount
VWR Subframe Pucks
iABED Industries Billet Rear Main Seal (more info here)
Upgraded OEM DSG Cooler (02E 409 061 C - see thread explaining this here)
235/40/18 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires mounted on Neuspeed RSE10 (18x8 +45, ~18 pounds/wheel)

Suspension Modifications:
MSS Spring Kit
Koni Yellow Shocks (1/4 turn from full soft in front, 1 turn from full soft in rear)
034 Track Density Strut Mounts
Superpro 24mm Front Sway Bar (on the less stiffer setting)
Superpro 24mm Rear Sway Bar (on the stiffest setting)
Superpro "Supaloy" Control Arms
Superpro Rear Lower Control Arm Bushings (SPF3353K / SPF3352K)
Superpro Adjustable Ball Joints
Superpro Front/Rear Adjustable End Links
B6 Passat Front Aluminum Spindles
034 Spherical Trailing Arms
034 Density Line Toe Arms
034 Density Line Upper Control Arms

Braking:
TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace
TyrolSport Caliper Stiffening Kit
TyrolSport Front & Rear Brake Lines
Porterfield R4-S Front & Rear Brake Pads

Exterior:
OSRAM Xenarc Headlights
Euro LED Taillights

Interior:
Euro Kreations Rear Seat Delete
Kenwood DNX516ABS
Kenwood KFC-1795PS
Kenwood KFC-1695PS
Die Hard Gold AGM Battery
Second Skin Damplifier Pro + Lux Liner in the trunk & floor (to reduce NVH from exhaust, motor mounts, etc)

What's next?

Body work...and lots of it. The car came from New York and as such has lots of "love marks" on the bumpers, there's a door ding and a scratch on one fender, and rust is actually stating to form on the front right fender behind where the mud flap used to be. The car will be getting a full respray. In addition to the respray, the entire front nose of the car will be getting ArmorCoat Paint Protection Clear Coat. It's essentially a permanent clear bra that is self-healing. This will serve to protect the car from rubber, rocks and other flying debris that this car will see at the track.

Along with the respray the car will be getting some other visual upgrades, including:
Edition 35 Front Bumper
OSIRUSA Side Skirts w/ Carbon Insert
OSIRUSA CF Mirror Caps
OSIRUSA Rear Diffuser (GT6-R)
OSIRUSA Rear Carbon Spoiler (GT6-S)
ECS Tuning Front Carbon Lip

Upcoming Suspension Changes:
Next will be some final suspension tuning tweaks, including the following:
- Ohlin Road & Track Coilovers w/ IE Camber Plates
- Get the car corner balanced

Upcoming Drivetrain/Braking Changes:

Car need's a BBK badly - Stoptech's 355mm Trophy kit is at the top of the list.

Car will be getting USRT's "DSG ICECAP Cooling System" (http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php...oducts_id=1908)

Other Miscellaneous Upcoming Changes Coming for 2019:

- Recaro Sportster CS Seats
- 4 point roll cage
- TyrolSport Radiator
- EuroImpulse MK7 Steering Wheel
- S2T DSG Paddles

Some comment's about previous and current suspension setups:

I am very happy with the 24mm front/rear sway bar setup. Before I was 26/24, and before that 28/26. I felt that with 26/24, even with the front on soft and the rear on stiff, that the car would understeer too easily when pushed, even on 200 treadwear tires. The front of the car rolls a little more now than it had when I was on the stiffer setups, but by having the rear proportionally a bit stiffer (since I went up 3mm in the rear and only 0.4mm in the front), I can use the little bit of extra body roll in the front to my advantage to help point the car exactly where I want it to without losing traction in the front and to rotate the car when needed. This was especially noticeable when maneuvering through slaloms and Chicago boxes on the autocross course.

Note that for daily driving, I put the front sway bar back on the "stiff" setting, as the little extra body roll when on the "soft" setting can cause the rear of the car to get upset more easily, which could result in some unpleasant surprises on the street. For a point of reference, the 24mm SuperPro front sway bar on "stiff" is roughly equivalent to the H&R 26mm front sway bar on the "soft" setting. Even on the "soft" setting, the superpro is still about 35% stiffer than stock, but the 24mm rear on stiff is about 110% stiffer than stock.

Comment on DSG TCU Tunes:

I originally put the car on the Eurodyne DSG tune as it was only $375. It honestly didn't do anything--the behavior of the car itself didn't change at all. I swapped over to APR about 3 months later and so far I am loving it. Some people have reported that TCU tunes make the trans "clunky", but my experience has been the exact opposite. Instead of dumping right into 6th gear at 35mph, the car revs out more making driving around town much easier (the car typically only goes into 4th after 40mph or so, to give you an idea). I also enjoy the launch control, as well as the removal of the kickdown switch and the automatic shift once the rev limiter is hit in manual mode. Sometimes on the track/autocross course if you're at the end of the gear but you're approaching a turn, it's actually faster to bang off the rev limiter a few times than to upshift then almost immediately downshift.

All of these tweaks give more control back to the driver and the "nannies" so to speak are removed. I would recommend researching more on DSG tunes if you own one (just not Eurodyne's, lol).

Final Thoughts:

I am in love with the way the car has developed over the last year and a half. Looking forward to this summer as the last few major projects are tackled.

OK OK enough blabbering, here are some photos!

The day I brought Astrid home:

First mod was actually the Cobb TBE:

Stage 2 Complete:

Next was the intake, catch can, and GFB

Intercooler time!

Now that the boltons are complete, time to dive into the suspension and brakes. 2 scoops of preworkout were taken before re-hoisting the subframe back into the car by myself.Shout out to Eurocars who sold me the B6 spindles - they were beautifully painted!

The sound deadening

I.C.E. Upgrades! This head unit has Android Auto so I can run Waze; between Waze and my radar detector, it's double protection!

October 1st of 2017, about 4 months after my initial suspension/drivetrain overhaul, the H&R springs were swapped out for the MSS Kit:

The alignment afterwards:

Most recently was the LSD install, and by far has been my favorite mod (thanks to Greg @ Excelerate for the photos)

Here's the Wavetrac LSD:

Versus the stock, open diff:

iABED Billet RMS

More install photos:

And after all of that, here is currently how she sits now (for now):

Stay tuned for more updates coming soon!

Last edited by zef; 11-01-2018 at 11:34 PM.
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
zef

Reserved

Old 03-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Damn, clean build!
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 | VERUS |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
in4updates.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|custom straight pipe catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Awesome to see another performance track car build. Wish you were closer to chicago to go to some track days with! I'm usually at the track by myself
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
zef

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
Damn, clean build!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Awesome to see another performance track car build. Wish you were closer to chicago to go to some track days with! I'm usually at the track by myself
I am entertaining some events out in Ohio this year, not sure if you typically drive out that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
in4updates.
Will have some more updates in the coming weeks!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
I like this thread.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
SwiftGTI
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Are you managing to get even wear at the front with only -1.9 degrees camber? What tires are you using for the track?
SwiftGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
zef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftGTI View Post
Are you managing to get even wear at the front with only -1.9 degrees camber? What tires are you using for the track?
Tires wear perfectly even. It's typically toe that kills tires, not camber.

Currently the Firestones have been both track & street tires. Eventually a dedicated track set will be obtained. They have more than enough grip and they hold up to abuse (heat) well.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Thank you!

I am entertaining some events out in Ohio this year, not sure if you typically drive out that far.

Will have some more updates in the coming weeks!
I'll be at mid ohio for memorial day with chin motorsports!
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
Tifore
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 Black 6MT GTI
Following. Solid build so far man!
Tifore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
SwiftGTI
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Tires wear perfectly even. It's typically toe that kills tires, not camber.

Currently the Firestones have been both track & street tires. Eventually a dedicated track set will be obtained. They have more than enough grip and they hold up to abuse (heat) well.
Sorry should have been more clear, meant at the track. Just surprised to see you're only running -1.9 degrees camber in the front. Most macpherson strut cars I know (including my primary track car) are running -2.5 to -3.5 degrees to get even wear across the tires (200tw or rcomps).

I don't normally track the GTI though, so could be a platform-specific thing.
SwiftGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #13
zef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftGTI View Post
Sorry should have been more clear, meant at the track. Just surprised to see you're only running -1.9 degrees camber in the front. Most macpherson strut cars I know (including my primary track car) are running -2.5 to -3.5 degrees to get even wear across the tires (200tw or rcomps).

I don't normally track the GTI though, so could be a platform-specific thing.
Ah I see what you're asking. Currently with the superpro ball joints that's about as high as I can go. I would be able to go more, but for some reason the left side of the car is off by almost 0.4, so in an ideal situation I'd be able to get close to -2.5, but when maxing out both sides it turns out to be uneven.

If I have to suck it up and run camber plates I will, but for the time being these are working well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
I'll be at mid ohio for memorial day with chin motorsports!
Awesome, I will definitely check that out. SCCA is running a few Track Night's more local to me, but mid-ohio is always a track I wanted to get under my belt, so I might take you up on that.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
zef

Big update!

After doing more research on the HPA vs IE intake manifold, and talking with both companies, it appears IE has a slight design edge over HPA as they have flow tested velocity stacks. HPA's are equal distribution, but runner length, diameters, and resonance tuning are all factors that IE took into account during R&D to fully optimize power gains for any turbo (including the KO4), which appears to be something HPA overlooked. So I'll be going with the IE manifold now! (plus the manifold is on sale which pretty much sealed the deal)

Also, the KO4, manifold, and all remaining suspension components have been ordered!

I also ordered a carbon spoiler through Revozsport, which should hopefully be here in the next week or two. I decided I liked the look of the Revo more over the OSIR, but will stick with OSIR for the diffusers/side skirts.

The only remaining components on the table are the BBK, TyrolSport radiator, the remaining body work, and some interior tid bits. I should hopefully be able to pick those up by the end of the month. Stay tuned!

Last edited by zef; 03-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.