GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 08-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
krvnked
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6
P0299 came back after DV replacement + GFB+ Install

Hi guys

2013 USA Spec GTI, no mods no tune
60,000 miles

Feeling very discouraged today. I did the job yesterday and all day today the car felt like it was driving great and I could have sworn that I havent felt this much power in a long time, if not ever. the car is not tracked or abused or driven recklessly at all.

Well under acceleration while merging onto a highway on my way home from work today brought the code back. I always seem to pop the code while boosting between 2500-3500 rpm at speeds under 50 mph.

the car is not tuned or modified beyond a k&n reusable filter. I am kinda working thru the cheapest ($$) solutions first. Would n75 valve be next? pcv valve? I kind of feel like im just replacing parts that dont need to be replaced. My car had a Rev C valve installed... i replaced it with a brand new rev D and also installed the go fast bits DV+.

This is really upsetting considering that I bought this car and intentionally did not modify it at all because my last car gave me similar problems at a coincidentally similar mileage. (I had a MINI cooper S and the supercharger failed also around 60,000 miles.)

any advice greatly appreciated especially from those who had the same code and solved it

Last edited by krvnked; 08-03-2019 at 06:16 PM.
krvnked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Technically you didn't need a new Rev D with your GFB since the the guts are the same with all the DVs and you remove the piston part anyway, but yeah p0299 can be caused by several things. Boost leaks, bad turbo and the DV are the major culprits. Heres a good video on mystery p0299 code. You can remove the downpipe and see if your wastegate has play in it indicating bad turbo. Also wouldn't hurt to do a pressurized boost leak test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fk6cSDE3hE
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
krvnked
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Technically you didn't need a new Rev D with your GFB since the the guts are the same with all the DVs and you remove the piston part anyway, but yeah p0299 can be caused by several things. Boost leaks, bad turbo and the DV are the major culprits. Heres a good video on mystery p0299 code. You can remove the downpipe and see if your wastegate has play in it indicating bad turbo. Also wouldn't hurt to do a pressurized boost leak test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fk6cSDE3hE
yeah im just a regular dude with a set of ramps and basic garage tools, sounds like stuff I'm gonna have to get diagnosed. im kinda just running through everything I can do myself first without major disassembly. the Rev D was more of a peace of mind sort of thing as I planned to keep the car a long time and I wanted to eliminate all possible reasons... now I know that neither helped me.

another thing worth mentioning is that the car never once went into limp mode

Last edited by krvnked; 08-02-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Sachz71
Ready to race!

Drives: Mk6 GTI APR STAGE 1
Hello -
I bought this DV AND DOWN PIPE APR took it to my installers to do stage 2 he did not recommend the installation of the DV DO TO PROBLEMS LIKe THIS ,SO I DECIDE NOT TO INSTALL IT since he is APR Dealer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sachz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Yeah, get it checked. The turbo might be on the way out. Do you feel a lack of power when you floor it? When I had that code, I swapped my GFB DV+ back to OEM and still had the error. After taking it to dealer for diagnosis (I barely have an tools to do anything), they found my turbo was shot. Although I was tuned APR Stg2. it was disappointing as the car only had around 34k miles when it was shot. I don't even floor it hard or beat the car so I was shocked at how early it could of gone to sh!t. Oh well, out went the K03, in went the K04.
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
krvnked
Rally Car Champion

I do not notice a lack of power I never did. I just thought maybe the GFB dv+ gave my car some more pep but it could all be in my head.

If its the turbo Id be really surprised because the car behaves normal.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
krvnked
Rally Car Champion

https://imgur.com/a/ZzWiJ8Y

Does this info tell you anything interesting

Last edited by krvnked; 08-05-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by krvnked View Post
https://imgur.com/a/QLOlI3z

Does this info tell you anything interesting

It tells you that you have a p0299 lol
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by krvnked View Post
I do not notice a lack of power I never did. I just thought maybe the GFB dv+ gave my car some more pep but it could all be in my head.

If its the turbo Id be really surprised because the car behaves normal.
Mine behaved perfectly normal when I wasn't flooring it. It was just when trying to get on it that it had no PSI as the turbo was fooked.
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote