GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 08-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
DekeBaba
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 VW Golf
MY STUPID QUESTION

After a long absence, I am back looking for a solution to a seemingly minor problem: My wife's 2013 Golf 2.5L was taken to a local car wash for a bath a few days ago. The outcome was not good.

When the car wash worker signaled that her car was finished, she tipped him a few sheckles and started the car. The seat was repositioned all the way back, so she tried to slide it forward. Stuck.

OK, she couldn't reach the pedals. She asked the car wash dudes for help but they refused saying, "We never touch your seat."

I got a ride to the car wash, and we drove the Golf back home.

It's been a couple of weeks now, and nobody (NO BODY) seems to have any ideas how to get the seat to move. So, finally, I took it to the closest VW dealership.

The service mgr. said: "No problem. My guys will fix it. We see this problem from restaurant valet parking all the time.

Three hours later. Service mgr.: "I have some bad news and some good news. The driver's side seat frame is badly damaged, and we'll need to replace it the entire unit for you. It will run $1001 total."

The good news was that he could have the seat frame shipped within three days. "There is only one seat frame for this model Golf in the entire Western United States."

Seat adjustment sounds like a minor problem, I know. But, since my girl cannot reach the brake and accelerator, it is the same as if the engine or gear box blew up.

Any of you fine Golf owners out there experienced troubles stemming from a seat frame???

All responses welcome. Even sarcastic ones.

DekeBaba
DekeBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Blakcard
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
i would go back to the car wash and give them the bill....or try some lube on the seat rails?
Old 08-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
i would go back to the car wash and give them the bill....or try some lube on the seat rails?

Try this. Or hit a parts yard for VWs and see if you can snag one there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|custom straight pipe catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
aj_law
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
You know what they say, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people that ask stupid questions. HA!

Oh, and let this be a lesson...next time tip in dollars, not a foreign currency.

Seriously though, I call BS on the frame being badly damaged by a car wash guy. Did he treat it like a roller coaster ride?

Personally, that sounds like a major up sell by that dealer. I'd try a different one first. Don't mention what the first dealer said, obv. Go from there. Sounds like it's stuck on rails or maybe the release isn't working properly? Need to really get in there to assess it.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 160K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...*sigh*): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit. Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip/rear emblem insert // OEM Black emblems // Depo Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete.
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:30 AM   #5
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Instead of breaking down the seat to remove it from the stuck rail, they'd rather sell you a new seat + rail. They aren't that expensive if you can find the seat on eBay with rails, but I seriously doubt both are irreparable. Either the track is bent, or the slide mech is fucked. Both are extreme scenarios and would need a massive amount of weight and/or force to achieve. Usually a result of a car accident.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
alpha3
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '14 CSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
Instead of breaking down the seat to remove it from the stuck rail, they'd rather sell you a new seat + rail. They aren't that expensive if you can find the seat on eBay with rails, but I seriously doubt both are irreparable. Either the track is bent, or the slide mech is fucked. Both are extreme scenarios and would need a massive amount of weight and/or force to achieve. Usually a result of a car accident.
Yep, I agree with this ^^. I have had the slide mech get stuck on cars before, especially our Jetta. Work it around a bit and it usually pops loose.
If I were a betting person, I'd say the car wash person sat down and pushed back hard, all at the same time and messed up the slide mech.
alpha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
DekeBaba
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 VW Golf
All, y'all-- alpha3 FocalPoint aj_law DASVDUB Blakcard--
Thank you so much for your replies.
DekeBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 AM   #8
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeBaba View Post
All, y'all-- alpha3 FocalPoint aj_law DASVDUB Blakcard--
Thank you so much for your replies.
Hope you get it sorted. I would try to do this in the driveway by getting in the backseat behind the driver's seat, and using my knees/legs as leverage to push the seat forward with equal pressure on both sides. Try to hold the lever release or have someone hold it while you do this. If no dice, maybe get clever with a ratchet set and remove the rails with the seat still attached, get it outside the car, and check for damage. I feel like the more I think about it, the more I think it was a fat man that pushed back too hard and kinked the seat too much to one side.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
gijoewoz
Oval Champion

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
You'll need a triple square bit, but you should probably do what Focalpoint suggested and remove the seat, with the rails attached so that you can get a better look at what's actually going on.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
Hope you get it sorted. I would try to do this in the driveway by getting in the backseat behind the driver's seat, and using my knees/legs as leverage to push the seat forward with equal pressure on both sides. Try to hold the lever release or have someone hold it while you do this. If no dice, maybe get clever with a ratchet set and remove the rails with the seat still attached, get it outside the car, and check for damage. I feel like the more I think about it, the more I think it was a fat man that pushed back too hard and kinked the seat too much to one side.
^^ This !!!

It is a flaw in the design of the seat track, had it happen one day we were vacuuming the car, when you slide the seat back it can get derailed and slip out, but didn't notice any damage.

It is very tight in this area, so no pics but here is what we did. Get someone to open the front door stand to the side to operate the seat lock slider mechanism, as well as recline the seat. Get in the back seat and have your helper recline the seat back enough so you can lever it up and down and side to side a bit while your helper operate the seat lock/slider, you should feel when the slider engages the track and start sliding again.

Good Luck
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote