GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 11-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #1261
riceburner
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Rs3 are great

R888s hook amazing for fwd drag as well just to chime in lol
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #1262
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
It's not flammable, it's a 50/50 mix with water. I "tested" to see if it would ignite and even with 75% meth 25% water it would not.

The fumes though are indeed terrible. Drove with the windows all down.
Yikes, even 50/50 will ignite if poured on floor from a closed container. It is highly volatile so it dissipates very quickly so if you try to ignite some 50/50 that had spilled an hour ago it probably would not ignite but right out of the bottle poured on the floor it ignites very quickly with a lit match dropped on it.

Stating the obvious good and bad news, bad news is that methanol is highly toxic and immediately gets into the air and is odorless, the good news is that if you leave the car open for a day it should dissipate rather well. I am running my new setup in back hatch area and venting it to the outside and using compression fittings etc to hopefully avoid any leaks. Long term exposure can cause some rather deadly stuff so play it safe if you have it in the same area as your cabin air and check it often for leaks.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #1263
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
Yikes, even 50/50 will ignite if poured on floor from a closed container. It is highly volatile so it dissipates very quickly so if you try to ignite some 50/50 that had spilled an hour ago it probably would not ignite but right out of the bottle poured on the floor it ignites very quickly with a lit match dropped on it.

Stating the obvious good and bad news, bad news is that methanol is highly toxic and immediately gets into the air and is odorless, the good news is that if you leave the car open for a day it should dissipate rather well. I am running my new setup in back hatch area and venting it to the outside and using compression fittings etc to hopefully avoid any leaks. Long term exposure can cause some rather deadly stuff so play it safe if you have it in the same area as your cabin air and check it often for leaks.
That might have been why it didn't ignite when I tried it. It was already mixed for well over that time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #1264
jay745
Mod Flanders

Emptied the catch can. Getting ready to winterize it and park it for the winter in another week or so.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #1265
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Chocolate milk!!
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #1266
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Emptied the catch can. Getting ready to winterize it and park it for the winter in another week or so.

Looks yummy! I need to empty mine. Forge claims itís safe to use for below zero temps, but is that really the case with daily driving. Like do I need to empty it every day and put isopropyl alcohol in the can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hbrown0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #1267
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrown0509 View Post
Looks yummy! I need to empty mine. Forge claims itís safe to use for below zero temps, but is that really the case with daily driving. Like do I need to empty it every day and put isopropyl alcohol in the can?

Forge will tell you anything to get you to buy their stuff

Empty it every 3-4 days in the winter. And make sure the engine is hot when emptying it otherwise you'll be leaving some behind. I'd skip putting any alcohol in there personally.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #1268
riceburner
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
I learned that you need to empty it every few days in the winter the hard way!
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #1269
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
I learned that you need to empty it every few days in the winter the hard way!

Yeah I had APRís last year and it was not a fun drive home. Luckily it was a short drive. I donít think it was that full. Just way too many baffles and froze up quickly

hbrown0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #1270
jay745
Mod Flanders

Ordered a set of Steinjager front endlinks to replace the worn out whitelines. I have a few days off around christmas so I'm hoping to knock out a bunch of work that needs to get done before the season.

There's a rumor out there that RS4 tires are sold out already for this season. That sucks if it's true because I had my heart set on those. Will have to research an alternative.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #1271
jay745
Mod Flanders

They feel nice. The spherical joints should take a pounding better than the ball seat joints

Tags
#assman, i love my car, jay raped me at chikfila, jay you got this, jay'th, jay4prez, nvh for daysss, sultansgotmehot, tag all the things, this guy has a fast car, vandorin was here, why no tags?