GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 PM   #1373
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanyesChest View Post
Left work and was slowly exiting my parking spot today when my RPM's started fluctuating for around 5-ish seconds.. It's happened once before and seems to be on cold starts, after that everything runs fine. No CEL yet, but any thoughts on what could be causing this? I'm reading throttle body or vacuum leak online, but would love some other opinions!
Were you backing out? What intake are you running? I had that issue, and still due to a lesser extent, when I was running a very short intake. The rpm's would fluctuate when starting off especially when backing up. Lengthening the intake fixed my issue but if you are having this issue suddenly I would think there is a leak somewhere.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM   #1374
KanyesChest
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 Amaryllis Red 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
Were you backing out? What intake are you running? I had that issue, and still due to a lesser extent, when I was running a very short intake. The rpm's would fluctuate when starting off especially when backing up. Lengthening the intake fixed my issue but if you are having this issue suddenly I would think there is a leak somewhere.
I was pulling forward, not backing out, but was riding the clutch to slowly inch out. My intake isn't super short, but I'd say a bit shorter than a P-Flo, Pics here. I'll take a look for a vacuum leak in the next few weeks if the symptoms arise again, otherwise I'll wait for a CEL to tell me what's up...
KanyesChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #1375
Wascally Wabbit

Ya that's shorter than mine was but mine situation was made worse by the intake manifold. I don't think there is likely an issue you will see a CEL for. I think it is just one of the side effects of running a short ram intake. I would check the MAP sensor as well to see if it needs a cleaning.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #1376
KanyesChest
Autocross Champion

I'll give the MAP sensor and throttle body a check this Friday after work to see how dirty it is, I'll update back if the issue comes back more frequently but hopefully that isn't the case! Appreciate the help Wascally!
Old Yesterday, 02:01 AM   #1377
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
...Picked up a cheap auto dimming rearview mirror on eBay from a '99 A4, and have to figure out how to retrofit it onto my windshield. Drove my friend's IS250 with auto dimming rear and sideview mirrors, and it was one of the most comfortable drives I've ever had.
You can find Rear View Mirror glue at Canadian Tire or Parts Source Stores.

I'm not a fan of Auto Dimming Mirrors, reminds me of an infamous ticket I got, made worst by the fact that the Cop was behind my BMW pi$$ing me off,... I couldn't recognize the car until it was too late. Then the bastard raped me in court.

Quote:
Left work and was slowly exiting my parking spot today when my RPM's started fluctuating for around 5-ish seconds.. It's happened once before and seems to be on cold starts, after that everything runs fine. No CEL yet, but any thoughts on what could be causing this? I'm reading throttle body or vacuum leak online, but would love some other opinions!
Sounds like its trying to adapt remove and clean the throttle body throughly. Install new intake seals as well, when the engine is cold old intake seals will allow air to pass until they warm up. I woulda suggested that for WW's problem but it doesn't get cold enough where he lives to cool the steam off sh!t.

Last edited by MLue1; Yesterday at 02:20 AM. Reason: drunk as sh!t
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM   #1378
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Just got home, hit black ice on the highway 401 towards Coburg tonight, bit of a pucker moment but was able to think and find just enough grip on the rough apron and escape untouched, alot of others didn't fair so well. I guess ice racing helps eh!
Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM   #1379
Wascally Wabbit

Quote:
...was riding the clutch to slowly inch out.
Missed this part. Mine will still do this once in a while if I don't give it enough gas starting out. I think it just freaks out for a second.
Old Yesterday, 03:26 AM   #1380
Wascally Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Just got home, hit black ice on the highway 401 towards Coburg tonight, bit of a pucker moment but was able to think and find just enough grip on the rough apron and escape untouched, alot of others didn't fair so well. I guess ice racing helps eh!
Nice save. I guess you had your traction control on.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #1381
KanyesChest
Autocross Champion

Quote:
You can find Rear View Mirror glue at Canadian Tire or Parts Source Stores.

I'm not a fan of Auto Dimming Mirrors, reminds me of an infamous ticket I got, made worst by the fact that the Cop was behind my BMW pi$$ing me off,... I couldn't recognize the car until it was too late. Then the bastard raped me in court.

Sounds like its trying to adapt remove and clean the throttle body throughly. Install new intake seals as well, when the engine is cold old intake seals will allow air to pass until they warm up. I woulda suggested that for WW's problem but it doesn't get cold enough where he lives to cool the steam off sh!t.
The mirror I've picked up should be able to mount right onto the stock mirror mount, so if I ever feel like switching back to the manual mirror, it should be super simple!

Rockauto has some intake manifold gaskets for super cheap, so I may pick some up if the issue keeps coming back.. Glad to hear you're okay with the ice, knocking on wood so I don't run into the same problem especially with the temps dropping below -20 this weekend
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #1382
Wascally Wabbit

Quote:
The mirror I've picked up should be able to mount right onto the stock mirror mount, so if I ever feel like switching back to the manual mirror, it should be super simple!

Rockauto has some intake manifold gaskets for super cheap, so I may pick some up if the issue keeps coming back.. Glad to hear you're okay with the ice, knocking on wood so I don't run into the same problem especially with the temps dropping below -20 this weekend
-20! My suggestion is to move to a warmer climate. I think it's going to be in the 70’s here this weekend. I'll be thinking of you while I'm at the beach.

I just picked up one of these for the toolbox for IM removal.

CTA Tools 8541 14" x 6mm VW Hex... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VX0RI3S...p_mob_ap_share

I got an Amazon gift card for Chrismas so I thought I would upgrade my wonky homemade version.
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #1383
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Nice save. I guess you had your traction control on.
Yup ESC was on, always is when we drive on public roads.

Quote:
-20! My suggestion is to move to a warmer climate. I think it's going to be in the 70’s here this weekend. I'll be thinking of you while I'm at the beach....
This statement coming from Mr Alaska.

Last edited by MLue1; Yesterday at 04:12 PM. Reason: Saving space in the cyber universe
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #1384
Wascally Wabbit

Quote:
This statement coming from Mr Alaska.
Yep. I took my own advice and moved to a warmer climate.
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #1385
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Me too in a few more days.

Ahhhh back to that Carolina moonshine, ....I mean sunshine
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #1386
KanyesChest
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Good thing I come from the west coast aka the land of moderate temperatures